What apps save you the most time in TW?

I have that too haha. It’s partly because whenever I add credit to my EasyCard, it goes in my budgeting app under “Transportation: Public transport” - I genuinely dislike using my EasyCard for anything else.

3 Likes

“Transportation / Leisure / Dining” category for the rescue :grin:

On the note of budgeting, I would add YNAB to the list. A bit pricey, but a really nice budgeting app which definitely makes my life easier around here.

2 Likes

What budgeting app do you use?

Have been looking into this.

Does it hook up to your credit/debit card?

It’s even better than that. Once you’ve unlocked a relationship in Tinder, someone else will deal with pxmart for you.

4 Likes

I’ll copy below a PM I previously wrote to another user who asked me about this so I don’t need to type it out again. :slightly_smiling_face:

I use an Android app called Expense IQ and have been for the last 6 years (I think I looked at several at that point, but not sure what newer alternatives exist). It works for me and would recommend.

I mostly wanted to keep track on income and expenses when I was just starting to do serious freelancing, and I needed something that works for multiple accounts in multiple currencies (so I can withdraw cash in TWD, say, from a GBP account). The app is in English but you can choose numerous currencies for each account, including TWD. There’s a widget thing you can put on the home screen for quickly entering transactions, so it just takes a couple of seconds for each - I tend to put everything in as I’m leaving a store so I don’t forget. It’s more of a habit at this point, and the app has a lot of features I seldom use like monthly reports and exporting to Excel. It’s occasionally convenient for checking how much I spend on, say, alcohol or coffee each month.

I don’t know what their current pricing structure is, but I bought the paid version after a week or two. It was cheap (<10 GBP, if I remember correctly) at the time for a lifetime subscription, and it’s one of the few apps I’ve ever paid for. Although the free version of the app supports multiple currencies (or used to), IIRC the paid version is necessary for transferring between accounts of different currencies, so that was my main motivation for paying.

It doesn’t link up to credit/debit cards AFAIK, but that isn’t a feature I really need anyway. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

If you want an app that hooks up to your credit/debit card, try Mint. I’ve used it with my US accounts, not sure if it will work with Taiwan accounts due to laws and regulations.

Adding Bus+ to the list. It gives you near real-time information on where buses are and their schedule.

Disclaimer to the adventurous: please avoid public transportation if you can, particularly if you are located in Greater Taipei.

1 Like

Line.
Firefox

I try to disable other apps or uninstall if allowed. Google maps still works great in the browser.

Apple Pay. Duh.

Funny, I use Firefox as my main browser but often have to use Chrome these days so I can translate a site. Maybe there’s an addon to get FF to do it

(I know there’s translate.google.com but that proxifies the site rather than translating it client-side)

Now that you mention it, i have troubles translating with firefox as well. So ichange my answer.

My most useful app is: Wife

1 Like

I like Fortune City (thanks to @IbisWtf for suggesting it a few year ago). You need to manually go in there and enter what you spent, but it at least makes it a bit of fun.

App that saves me the post time? PiPay! This app has reduced my cash usage to a mere zero for the week unless I was eating out with friends.

1 Like

Really? I’m feeling that the acceptance rate is quite low.

The bus app is a godsend for those who rely on public transport, but it’s got its quirks. I once saw that my bus was not coming for another 10 minutes, and so decided to go grab a coffee. Sure enough, as soon as I left the bus stop island, my bus came! Later I discovered that some bus drivers neglect to turn on the device on the bus that sends out its gps signal. Rain is also a factor; it can block the signal, effectively making a bus invisible on the app.

2 Likes

Rebates at FamilyMart, QSquare and some other places are pretty high. I just so happen to have an Yu Shan account, so that adds to the instant rebate %.

Google Maps
Samsung Pay (When at stores, not much lately)
Google Translate (with camera for live translation of written Chinese)

1 Like

One tip:
For translation of images, for some odd reason, Google Lens does 100x better than Google Translate. So if you have problems using the Translate camera, take a picture and import that into Lens.

6 Likes

For translating in Firefox, I found the addon Translate Web Pages, which I actually like better than the translation built into Chrome.

2 Likes

Line would have to be #1 in Taiwan. I really don’t understand how other foreign residents can exist here without Line. SO much work-related stuff gets dumped onto Line. People who work here and don’t use it are putting themselves at a huge disadvantage.

#2 would probably be Google Drive. The new storage limit sucks, but with all the times my work computer crashes or the internet goes down it’s necessary.

#3 would be FilmoraGo. I make short movies for work. I can’t imagine doing this on a laptop now. It’s just so much easier to do that on my phone. If you install this app I highly recommend paying for the membership. It works so much better that way.

#4 would be the electronic receipt app. My wallet used to be full of receipts, now it’s not and checking to see if we won the receipt lottery is so much easier.

• FindTaxi and 55688 (Both for taxis)

I tried using that in Kaohsiung (Fengshan) once and it didn’t go well. Could have just been the area though.