What are the most common questions you're asked everyday in Taiwan?

That’s the reply for 還沒 in 台語.

The guard used to ask me jia ba bei 吃飽了嗎 in Taiwanese and I’d give him an honest answer of no. Took me years to realize they weren’t asking if I had eaten. The guard thought it was hilarious.

2 Likes

Tones matter. :grin:

1 Like

do you need a fork and knife?

you know how to eat with chopsticks, Wow!!! :thinking:

3 Likes

LOL… among all those questions, none are the one I’m asked most often… “Why are you here?”

1 Like

Are you good at math? (I’m Indian)

2 Likes

Are you? :thinking:

1 Like

Got asked that a lot in the mainland, standard greeting (Chi bao-le ma?). Never asked it in Taiwan

2 Likes

I don’t get asked this much actually. I guess they can see my binglang stained teeth.

‘where u from’
‘Where u from’
Wer u from’
‘Wher u from’
‘Werufrom’

Then I tell them.

Radio silence.

I also get asked am I an English teacher and is your wife Taiwanese a lot.

Again super boring questions for me.

4 Likes

Are you American?

5 Likes

Me too.
Ifs a weird feeling.

I miss those creepy vibes

LOL

Seriously do any strangers talk to each other these days. :disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved:
I really miss when people talked to each other more and I’m not even that old. Not Tommy back in the last century old anyway.:grin:

Some foreigners will still chat though which is cool. Keep it real Lao wai!

2 Likes

I get this a lot and my kids look super Chinese.

wtf

Only on weekends and holidays.

3 Likes

Do you speak Chinese?
對啊
Your Chinese is so good! Bye-bye

3 Likes

At this time of year, “Are you cold?” becomes the dominant question. (I don’t think I even own any long-sleeved shirts, which certainly helps prompt the question.)

“Can I hand in the homework tomorrow?” is probably the second most common.

Occasionally students will ask me to once again explain the difference between “every day” and “everyday”, but it’s not that hard a concept, and by this stage in the semester they’ve mostly got it sorted out.

2 Likes

Nothing is more annoying than an intrusive “where are you from?” or even worse “can you help translate this?” on the MRT after a really long day.

2 Likes

Hmm. I wonder what’s changed for me. Has my resting face become hostile or something? I almost never get these kinds of questions from strangers anymore. I do get them once in a while from other teachers at work, but almost always in “normal” contexts - people I’ve been seeing and saying 你好 to for weeks or months or even years, but then they finally decide to demonstrate they speak more English than I do Chinese, and they strike up a conversation.

3 Likes

Are you 190cm or 200cm?

Sometimes they proceed to tell me their son/nephew/bf is 190cm. When I tell them I’m only 188cm without shoes, they get upset because I’m clearly taller and say I must be almost 200.

There’s some weird obsession with being 190cm in Taiwan.

How many girlfriends do you have?

2 Likes

looks at my title
reads your reply
looks at my title
hangs head for bringing shame to my ancestors

3 Likes

You are which country people?

1 Like