What are the top 5 Challenges you face when shopping for clothes in Taiwan?

So… size. I looked at a shirt that said it was L (large). “This doesn’t feel like L to me,” I thought as the spare bicycle tire of fat that has accumulated around my waist in recent years engaged in a life or death struggle with the cozy outer limits of my unexpectedly snug shirt. Then I saw the tag… US: M, Asia: L. :man_facepalming:

Why is an American medium an Asian large? So ridiculous. Just make sizes universal.

1 Like

Dude, do you work for a fast fashion company? C’mon man. Recycled poly is better than cotton, lol. And I’m not even a huge fan of cotton. I prefer more durable, less water intensive natural fibers.

Yes, there are certifications and whatnot. OkeoTex is good. But how many of those do we need, and how accurate are they really? The Higg Index was just declared greenwashing in Norway and was banned. That’s the same sustainability measurement that said polyester was more environmentally-friendly than any natural fiber because it uses less water, even though, you know, it’s plastic.

GRS. Great. Recycling wastewater during manufacturing. That still completely ignores the fact that when consumers, which is who I was talking about, wash their clothes, microplastics from recycled polyester go out with the wastewater and eventually make their way to the ocean.

This is accurate, and there are some good brands out there, but many are talking a bigger game than they’re actually doing.

Ah, the kind of line that tells me you have no idea.

Labels aren’t always accurate, and they don’t often give enough information. That’s something I already pointed out. You sound like an industry mouthpiece, putting the onus on consumers. Get it together dude.

No, I don’t work for fast fashion perhaps you would get that when I said you get what you pay for. Fast fashion is one of the biggest transgressors of unsustainable practices. If you do things quickly and the cheapest possible then you will be cutting corners. This is why H&M is getting sued for sustainability claims.

As I said, nothing is perfectly sustainable. Especially cotton as it is water intensive with pesticides leaking into waterways. Plus there is no good way to trace if cotton is produced by forced/child labor. Especially in China where the government will not allow suppliers to sign documentation that cotton is not from Xinjiang.

I’ll assume by your statements I know much more than you about this topic.

Labels are a liability for any company if they aren’t accurate. If you’re buying a knockoff brand maybe, but major brands have too much to lose. New legislation around PFAS are forcing companies to change, triman sorting logos, etc. Labels are there to help consumers. Writing them off as just inaccurate is just stupid.

Buy shit and you will get shit.

I like supporting Taiwanese industry that is leading the way on sustainable fabrics. Advancing biodegradable technology, making fabrics out of recycled fish nets, plastic bottles, coconut shells, seaweed lamination. The innovation happening here is pretty exciting.

And I’ll give credit to brands who put their money where their mouth is and make the effort - Patagonia, Cotopaxi, Athleta etc.

You’ve fooled yourself into thinking that what you’re somehow helping the environment because you like natural fibers. Right ok good for you. Not everyone likes to wear cotton in 35C, 70% humidity. Get over yourself.

Where’s the pointing and laughing Line sticker when I need it

Hahaha. Somebody’s salty. Dude, you’ve ignored so much of what I said. You made a very clear statement that recycled polyester is a sustainable fiber. I pointed out why it’s not. I never mentioned the Taiwanese textile industry. I never mentioned bio-fibers. Coconut shell buttons? Awesome. The innovations with seaweed, mycellium, cork, and more? I’m all here for it.

Recycled fishing nets and plastic bottles into clothing? Nope. Recycle that stuff into more useful, stable materials with less flexibility so they can last longer. What’s the end-of-life outcome for most polyester clothing, recycled or not? Landfill or incineration. It’s not just about manufacturing. It’s about the entire lifecycle.

I also don’t push natural fibers on everyone. I said I like them. And I’d like to see more options here in Taiwan. But go ahead, keep talking cotton, when I already said that’s not what I’m talking about.

I’m just going to leave these two snippets together here.

Right…

Damn I thought I was passionate about this topic . . . :neutral_face:

Guy

1 Like

People always talk about how no one can beat Taiwan at semiconductors. This is another industry where they can’t be beat. Exciting to see!

Size: I’m a medium at home and an XXL here, the problem is that XXL here means it huge in all directions so I end up with something far too big around the stomach just to get my shoulders in. In the case of jeans in order to get my waist size right the jeans are 4" too long in the leg.

Variety: By the time I find something that fits there is usually just 1 or 2 colours available in that size.

Size: Did I say this already - my clothes/shoes shopping consists usually of finding something that fits and that is pretty much the only thing in the store for me to choose from now.

Quality: most stuff here tends to last < a year I find, jeans and shorts have holes in them within a year, T-shirts within 2, whereas stuff bought at home lasts 3-5 or 5-10 years. I still have a few 20 yr old t-shirts from home.

Things change too fast: I find something that fits and I like, after a year it wears out so I go back to get another one because I like it and no they are discontinued, or even worse out of season. I went in Nov to buy new shorts (Nov here is great weather) and couldn’t because they were out of season.

3 Likes

Alterations – finding stores that will alter pants length. Very few that I have seen. (Please post if you know of any).

Size – big variations in what is a M, L or XL

Colors – I like plain dark colors which are few in choice here.

Goofy designs – I don’t want to wear shirts with goofy images emblazoned on them nor the name of the store in big letters.

Underwear – again sizes vary a lot and I just want a friggin’ pack of tidy whities please, not designer “sexy” stuff.

there are neigbourhood stores that will do this, but these can be hard to find. My best advice is to check out the shopping malls (Sogo/ Mitsukoshi), almost all of them have a store that does alterations. Usually its in B1 or in a back room on one of the floors, just ask at the information counter.

2 Likes

Carrefour, if you buy them there. Done within 30 minutes.

4 Likes

The public market buildings are often loaded with tailors who will do such things at very reasonable prices!

Guy

3 Likes

I seem to recall @Malasang88 is in the women’s underwear business, so a topic close to the heart and stuff

This is a family friendly site. Watch your language! :rofl:

Guy

I didn’t mean to suggest that he wraps his man bits in the lace, if that’s what you’re implying!

Men’s clothing in Taiwan has the same problem. Often times no real standard. It’s as if someone was randomly putting labels on.

Maybe we can conclude that all clothes are sIzEd By MaGiC and that it sucks and it should stop. :joy:

2 Likes

So that American fatties don’t feel fat shamed as they guzzle fatty foods. Those poor fat bastards. They’ve got enough on their plate as it is. Mostly fried chicken.

2 Likes

Asians tend to be smaller

I dated a Vietnamese girl for about a year in Canada, she often had to buy kid’s clothes because the adult stuff didnt go small enough :grin:

1 Like

Save some coin! Less tax on those clothes in Canada.

Guy