What are the top 5 Challenges you face when shopping for clothes in Taiwan?

Dear All,

Thank you very much for all your valuable feedbacks!

From what I can see, there are quite a number of challenges that people face.
Most of them are the same: size, materials, style, design, place of production, variety of choice, price, language barrier (can’t say that it is a big challenge, I think even with a poor Chinese, shopping is easy in Taiwan, especially Taipei).

Honestly, I can feel your struggles. Before coming to Taiwan, I brought quite a number of decent quality clothes with be. But when I started shopping here, it took me months to find what works for me and where do I have to go shopping.

The tricky part is one have to spend a lot of hours to find what brand(s) work for him/her. Sometimes even within one brand you can’t find all that you need, cause not all the clothes has the same good quality materials and the sizes are often different.

And that is the reason why I decided to do this image consulting job in Taiwan - to help all expats that face pretty much the same challenges that I faced before, and to help overcome those challenges.

I can’t solve your problems here on the forum, because every client is different, even though the struggles with finding clothes might be similar. But I will be posting my advertising next week here and in some FB foreigners communities. So if you would be interested to try it out, I’d be very happy to help you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, this was a sale pitch? Can we just go back to moaning and clothes?

4 Likes

The language barrier means people won’t even bother to go clothes shopping in the first place. I would only shop in large stores because I wouldn’t have to talk to anyone. Those small shops, they pounce on you as you enter. It’s very off putting.

5 Likes

@cigarbar This was a market research :slight_smile:

Slightly off topic, but I find it really annoying that Uniqlo prices are meaningfully higher here in Taiwan (for the same exact item). This was a couple years ago, but had bought a few things from Uniqlo in HK and was browsing Uniqlo here and the same exact item was 30-40% more expensive here

2 Likes

Because Uniqlo is a middle class brand rather than a fast fashion brand in Taiwan. I found a similar thing with H&M and ZARA.

Is 14 big? I’m a 13. They don’t sell shoes in my size either.

Any updates on this? Or did you already post the ad in another thread?

I’m guessing that size/wrong proportions is the number one issue for most foreigners in Taiwan. When I try on pants that are my size here in Taiwan, the butt area is always super narrow (the waist size and length are fine). If I go one size up, and the butt area fits perfectly but then the waist is too large and length is too long.

Same issue with shirts. When I try on a shirt that’s my size, everything fits perfectly except the shoulders are abnormally narrow. I have to wear a larger size for the shoulders to fit, but then the shirt is too large or too long.

Wow, I thought this was only true for my country. Uniqlo prices here are almost twice as expensive compared from where I am from. That would mean it is also more expensive than Japan’s.

1 Like

Taiwan has relatively high import duties and sales taxes, so those costs are factored into the price that’s printed on the label.

2 Likes

Language barrier is fine for me, there’s always Google Translate. I was able to buy from different stores already (Adidas, Lacoste, Uniqlo and NET) and the clerks from Adidas and Lacoste were even patient with me (despite their inability to speak in English) because I was very picky with my choices :joy: The ones from Uniqlo and NET can speak English.

My problem is that I tend to support local or indie clothing brands because of their uniqueness and in some instances, price over quality ratio. Having said that, I have a hard time finding such in Taiwan, especially when it comes to clothing for men.

1 Like

According to chat GPT these are the Top 5 challenges that people may face when shopping for clothes in Taiwan:

Size: The sizing system in Taiwan may differ from other countries, and finding the right size can be a challenge. Taiwanese sizes tend to be smaller than Western sizes, so foreigners may need to look for larger sizes than they would normally wear.

Language barrier: If you don’t speak Mandarin or Taiwanese, communicating with salespeople can be a challenge. Many stores may have limited English signage, and employees may not be fluent in English, making it difficult to ask questions or get help.

Limited options for larger sizes: As mentioned earlier, Taiwanese sizes tend to be smaller, and finding larger sizes can be a challenge. Many stores may not carry sizes above a certain range, which can make shopping for plus-size clothing difficult.

Limited availability of Western styles: Some people may find it challenging to find clothing that matches their preferred style. Taiwanese fashion tends to have its own unique style and aesthetic, which may not align with Western tastes. As a result, finding clothing that matches Western styles may require more effort.

Quality vs. Price: While Taiwan is known for producing quality textiles and clothing, some people may find that quality comes at a higher price. Balancing quality and price can be a challenge, especially for those on a budget.

Why is ChatGPT producing more coherent posts than around 90% of the nonsense I’ve read on this site today.

Wait don’t answer. I’ll just ask Chat GPT. :grin:

Guy

5 Likes

This.

All the same crap. One day I will buy my own sewing machine and make my own shirts with patters I choose in the fabric market.

Pant usually don’t fit my Adonis body either.

1 Like

That is a nice problem to have!

Guy

1 Like

2 Likes
  • T-shirt collars that aren’t stretched the fuck out if I do find one that fits my shoulders and gut.
  • sparkly designs front and back
  • pants/shorts to fit grown man sized legs(edit: Hannes struck this one off. Thanks Hannes)
  • lack of cotton t-shirts
  • shoes

When I first came to TW, 20 or so years ago, I only brought a few shirts and pairs of jeans seeing as my local contacts informed me that clothing in Taiwan is super cheap and really good. So I went out tons of clothes at WuFenP, Gongguan, etc… With just a wear once or twice zippers started breaking, shrinkage was huge and basically a zero return policy. Never bought clothes here again with the exception of underwear and T-shirts from Costco. However the original pairs of jeans I brought with me and the two shirts are still wearable 20 years later. I’m too poor to buy cheap shit.

2 Likes

Did ChatGPT come up with those answers based on the other responses in this thread? :joy:

1 Like

I think the reason is pretty obvious. Americans are by and large really fat. A fat Asian would seem totally healthy/normal in America and a thin Asian would look anorexic, lol.

1 Like