What are you giving up for Lent?

Is anyone going to use Lent (40 days from tomorrow till Easter) to give something up?

I’m going on a spiritual fast this Lent. It’s called Vanity Fast.
Means I have to quit being self-absorbed.

The rules:

I CAN’T look in the mirror more than absolutely necessary (once or twice a day), that includes reflection in shop windows, cars, etc.

I CAN’T take photos of myself, post photos on Flickr, not even look at old photos of myself.

I CAN’T talk about myself, draw attention to myself, praise myself.

I CAN’T do vanity searches on Forumosa to see what you fine people have said about me, either.

INSTEAD, I have to use that energy and focus to see others better and give attention to them.

My friends laughed at me and think I won’t be able to do it. Especially the “center of attention part”.

Well, I think I will! :raspberry:

Are you crazy?

Oh no T! What are we going to talk about for the next 40 days then?

I’m gonna go the opposite direction of you. For lent, I’m giving up all self-deprecating comments and humor. For the next 40 days, EYE am the absolute BEST. At everything!

I am going to give up:

1. Taxis. I will save at least 10000NT a month. I am not going to give it to poor people, though. Except in the following circumstances; if it’s after midnight so no MRT, if late for work.
  2. Sugar.
  3. Being mean to Hartley at work and throwing stuff at him, even if he is being really annoying because I was mean to him the other day when he had toothache.
  4. I will answer the 'phone all the time, even if I can’t be arsed to speak to the caller, except my boss.

Please bear witness to these pledges.

I have broken all of them except number 3. And that’s only because I haven’t seen him yet.

Taxis, I just forgot. Sugar; it was medicinal. The 'phone; I just can’t answer it after 10 for various mentalist reasons.[/b][/i]

[quote=“Buttercup”]I am going to give up:

1. Taxis.
    [/quote]
    So what are you going to use for transport then? You know you can’t go “public”. You once said, I think it was in a joint statement with TpeBob, that “busses are for the poor” or something.

[quote]
Please bear witness to these pledges.[/quote]
Oh, you can count on that.

Hey! you quoted me so I couldn’t deny it later.

I took the MRT home from dinner. It was rubbish. Loads of children on it. And everything was a bit sticky. I will have to get some gloves, I think, so I don’t get crabs or something.

Religion

Crabs on the MRT. You can scoff all you like… Some of us know the truth.

Edit Quentin edited…

I’m not very good at this kind of thing - willpower and all that.

Can I give up Lent?

[quote=“Stray Dog”]I’m not very good at this kind of thing - willpower and all that.

Can I give up Lent?[/quote]
Of course you can.
But are you sure you’ll be strong enough to go through with it?
I mean, it is 40 DAYS!!!

[quote=“tash”]My friends laughed at me and think I won’t be able to do it. Especially the “center of attention part”.

Well, I think I will! :raspberry:[/quote]
You have GOT to be joking. :laughing:

:slight_smile:

[quote=“Jaboney”][quote=“tash”]My friends laughed at me and think I won’t be able to do it. Especially the “center of attention part”.

:slight_smile:[/quote]
NO, I’m not joking at all! They DID laugh at me! Can you believe it?

No, I can’t. I really, really can’t. phhhtt

Not… snicker … at… guffaw …allolololololol!
:roflmao:

[quote=“Jaboney”][quote=“tash”]My friends laughed at me and think I won’t be able to do it. Especially the “center of attention part”.

You see, it’s a classic example of a catch-22. By insisting that her friends NOT talk about her, we’ll still be talking about her. I can’t wait for this conversation:

Me: …so Tash, what about you?
Her: Sorry, I gave up talking about myself for Lent.
Me: Well, what are we supposed to talk about?
Her: I don’t know; anything that’s not about me.
Me: But how can we have a conversation with you, and not talk about you at all?
Her: I don’t know, but I can’t talk about myself.
Me: So you’re not going to answer any questions about yourself?
Her: That’s right. I’m on a “vanity fast”.
Me: OK. Aren’t we talking about you right now, though?
Her: !!!

Yes, this is going to be a lot of fun! :slight_smile:

[quote=“Erhu”][quote=“Jaboney”][quote=“tash”]My friends laughed at me and think I won’t be able to do it. Especially the “center of attention part”.

You see, it’s a classic example of a catch-22. By insisting that her friends NOT talk about her, we’ll still be talking about her. I can’t wait for this conversation:

Me: …so Tash, what about you?
Her: Sorry, I gave up talking about myself for Lent.
Me: Well, what are we supposed to talk about?
Her: I don’t know; anything that’s not about me.
Me: But how can we have a conversation with you, and not talk about you at all?
Her: I don’t know, but I can’t talk about myself.
Me: So you’re not going to answer any questions about yourself?
Her: That’s right. I’m on a “vanity fast”.
Me: OK. Aren’t we talking about you right now, though?
Her: !!!

Yes, this is going to be a lot of fun! :slight_smile:[/quote]
Erhu,
You are so funny and smart. I think you’re just grand. And I like that top you were wearing tonight, where’d you get that?

Try this, tash:

“Well, that’s enough about me; let’s talk about you … what do you think of me?”

[quote=“tash”]Erhu,
You are so funny and smart. I think you’re just grand. And I like that top you were wearing tonight, where’d you get that?[/quote]

Wait Tash, we can’t start this yet. It’s not 12AM yet. Try again in 22 minutes and I’ll agree with you.

[quote=“Erhu”][quote=“tash”]Erhu,
You are so funny and smart. I think you’re just grand. And I like that top you were wearing tonight, where’d you get that?[/quote]

Wait Tash, we can’t start this yet. It’s not 12AM yet. Try again in 22 minutes and I’ll agree with you.[/quote]
So compliment ME, ME, ME for the next 20 minutes, will ya!

We can talk about ME instead. Woohhoo! More attention for Buttercup! And she won’t have to ‘seek’ it for 40 whole days!

A quarter hour left, tash. Getting shaky yet?

There’s still time to back out. :smiley: