What are you watching? (Film edition) [2009-2014]

7 Pounds is worth a look. It’s the new Will Smith movie.

SPOILER

That’s how much his penis weighs.

Just saw Pineapple Express, a pretty funny stoner flick by Seth Rogen, who did the 40 Year old Virgin, Knocked Up, and Superbad. Dragged a little towards the end and probably would’ve been better stoned, but still glad I rented it.

Best line was toss-up between (as he stuffs face in big bag of bud), “smells like God’s vagina” or (as the professional Japanese assasins storm the building): “prepare to suck the cock of karma.” Hey, what do you expect, I said it was a stoner (ie., adolescent boy) flick. I liked the scene near the end, in the diner; definitely unique. :laughing:

I watched Misery (oh, how Cathy Bates rocks) last night.

Hehe. I have had that on my hard drive for weeks now and just decided to watch it last night myself.
I have to say though that I didn’t really have the experience you had. :s
I found the film to be almost totally irredeemable until…Danny McBride. Dude almost single-handedly saves the film.
I gotta say, I find Rogen terrifically unfunny…in all that he does. Still…each to their own.

Managed to see Yes Man this week too. Had no expectations of it, but was pleasantly surprised. Actually made me laugh quite a few times. Not a bad job. Zooey Deschanel has to be one of the cutest girls in films ATM. God, she was good in Elf…I loved that flick!

Saw Mirrors too. Horror flick starring Donald Sutherland’s kid. Directed by Alexandre Aja who directed the incredibly good Haute Tension. The film lacked suspense, logic, acting ability and tension. An awful mess. Didn’t expect anything from the actors, but the storyline…it was a copy of a Korean orig. Figures. Asian horror went down the shitter 10 years ago.

Swing Vote. Avoid. If the Postman lived in Waterworld and they made a film about him voting…well, you get the picture.

Hehe. I have had that on my hard drive for weeks now and just decided to watch it last night myself.
I have to say though that I didn’t really have the experience you had. :s [/quote]

No, I agree with you mostly. I didn’t mean to come across as enthusiastically endorsing the movie last night; more that I wasn’t completely disappointed with having shelled out a few NT for the rental and wasted 2 hours. After all, like a copy of High Times, enough images of gnarly buds of sinsemilla almost always makes the purchase price worthwhile. And, I did find some of Rogen’s prior works pretty funny. And, part of my initial reaction was just that I’m extremely thankful to be back home after 4 days at the inlaws, so even sitting on my own couch watching a stupid stoner flick is a pleasure. But on further reflection, the morning after, I realize it was a pretty lame flick. There were a few good moments but that’s about it.

Saw Adam Sandler’s Bedtime Stories while at the inlaws for CNY. Truly awful movie, but at least I didn’t fall asleep, which is what the Taiwanese-language soap opera on before it was threatening to cause.

Anybody seen Into the Wild by Sean Penn? It’s one of the best books I’ve ever read, but the movie never made it to Taiwan. Is the DVD available here yet?

I haven’t read the book, but the movie was great all around. I watched it months ago and still have the soundtrack on regular rotation on the ipod. Highly recomend it, from a tune-in/drop out pov.

I watched Slumdog tonight. It was good. :thumbsup:

I haven’t read the book, but the movie was great all around. I watched it months ago [/quote] Outside of Taiwan I assume. I went to my local video store and asked them about it and they said it’s not available in Taiwan. :frowning:

I also enjoyed it. Also saw Mama Mia two nights ago, thought it was pretty good, also.

Currently have Good Will Hunting and all three Blade movies rented for the week.

I watched part of W on the flight from HK to Taipei last night, but the flight wasn’t long enough to see all of it and I fell asleep. From what I saw, it wasn’t interesting. I like the stuff where he was President, but not the flashbacks. The movie was made hastily and it shows. Brolin does a good Dubya.

:whistle:

This latest Sam Mendes flick “Revolution(ary)? Road” looks good. Loved American Beauty. Hated Jarhead.

I enjoyed Yes Man. I usually judge a comedy by how often I laugh out loud during it. Like House Bunny, I laughed a lot. But Tropic Thunder, I didn’t at all. I didn’t laugh out loud in this one either. Usually, Jim Carry is good for a few, but this movie is more of a romantical feel-good thing. There was funny stuff in it. And funny characters. I like the female lead. She is Debra Winger’s clone.

I wanted to see Frost Nixon today, but I screwed around and missed it. I’ll go next week.

I saw Marley & Me tonight. I didn’t expect much - in fact I expected an updated Turner & Hooch. There was a lot more poignancy than I thought as I essentially thought it was sold as a pure comedy.
It’s garnered some V Ord reviews, but each to their own I suppose.
I dunno how to say this without giving away anything but there were some massive sniffles and muffled crying sounds in the cinema tonight when I saw it. Maybe one or two were mine!
I reckon this is a good flick…especially the final act.

watched Ang Lee’s “Lust/caution” last night. Not a bad movie. Pretty good. But as to the sex scenes… Had me thinking, “Shit! Are they really doing it?”

The Gf said Lust/caution sucked. Co worker said Marley and me is a tear jerker, his daughter burst out in tears (shes 5) and his son almost (hes 10) and the rest of the kids in the theater all were crying. This was in Walnut Creek here.

I aint seeing that !!

Time for Forumosa embellishment.

See this film you gutless c___.

Seriously, it’s a great bio done Hollywood to cover a few bases, but the last 2 acts are definte, 100%, guaranteed, money-back tear-jerkers.
Aniston? I know. Broken-nose, sucide over Goldie’s-daughter kid - I FUCKING KNOW! Just see it. It is absolutely worth the price of admission.

I was also forced to see Valkyrie tonight. God strike me fucking dead. What a wank. If it wasn’t for locals laughing at wholly inappropriate times, it was a simply God-awful treatment on a pretty good story. Fuck me this movie was bad.
I know it’s Tom Cruise, but if - at the end of the fillum - you are saying to yourself, “God, I hope Himmler and Co. kill these c___”, then said movie is a failure.

Bill Nighy. Kenneth Brannagh. oh fuck it…you could just keep naming great English actors…but I won’t. Stay away from this fucking disease. IT AIN’T WORTH 290NT!!!

So you gotta categorise. So Pan’s Labyrinth is one of those limp-wristed effeminate wearing-a-neckerchief faggots gently stroking himself to orgasm, then Hellboy II is a truck-driving redneck cranked up to googly-eyed MAYHEM on a NT$2,000 bag of greasy primo ice sucked up through a soot-encrusted glass pipe pounding the fucking bejesus in the goddamn ass out of a two-dollar Bakersfield whore. TWO times!
See this movie!