What are you watching? (Film edition) [2009-2014]

Gf saw Revolutionary Road and Benjamin Button tonite. Thought Ben was a bit long at 3 hours and wasnt up to expectations. Me taking movie off must see list. Then she saw Rev Road and thought during the movie “why did I come to see this” but later started to see good points in the movie. Wanted me to see it , even though adding that its not really worth seeing, but just so we could discuss it.

So two not too great reviews on these two movies.

I told her to go see Marley and Gran torino (friend said it was awesome).

Pans labryinth I saw on netflix’s see it now feature. And i stopped it many times. Now I completely forgot bout it, so it probably wasnt that good. Not sure if it was even worth seeing as I forgot it.

Something about it was good, but I cant remember what/

I just watched “Gran Torino” on my computer. It was awesome and real like a whole lot of films that just aren’t. “Taken” was good to watch. I didn’t like “Body of Lies” much, was your normal Hollywood fare.

This…

Joshua is a 2007 psychological horror/thriller film about an affluent young Manhattan family and how they are torn apart by the increasingly psychotic behavior of their mentally disturbed son, Joshua. The film was directed by George Ratliff and stars Sam Rockwell, Vera Farmiga and Jacob Kogan. It was released on July 6, 2007 in the United States.

is on Star Movies (channel 69) RIGHT NOW. Spoooky!

[quote=“sandman”]So you gotta categorise. So Pan’s Labyrinth is one of those limp-wristed effeminate wearing-a-neckerchief faggots gently stroking himself to orgasm, then Hellboy II is a truck-driving redneck cranked up to googly-eyed MAYHEM on a NT$2,000 bag of greasy primo ice sucked up through a soot-encrusted glass pipe pounding the fucking bejesus in the goddamn ass out of a two-dollar Bakersfield whore. TWO times!
See this movie![/quote]

You had me at “truck-driving redneck”. Been waiting for the DVD release, or is it out already?

Saw the John Woo movie Red Cliff on the Weekend. Thought it was pretty good, and really looking forward to catching Red Cliff II when it gets released on DVD.

I also caught Jolie’s Wanted. Not too bad, but mostly because of James McAvoy.

[quote=“Wanted”]Wesley: [voice-over] It’s my anorexic boss’ birthday. This means there’s a certain amount of inter-office pressure to stand around the conference table, eating crappy food and pretending to worship her. Acting for five minutes like Janice doesn’t make all our lives miserable is the hardest work I’ll do all day. My job title is account manager. I used to be called an account service representative, but a consultant told us we have to manage our clients, and to not service them. I have a girlfriend who I neither manage or service. That’s my best friend Barry fucking her on an Ikea kitchen table I picked up for a really good price. I’m finding it hard to care about anything these days. In fact, the only thing I do care about is the fact that I can’t care about anything. Seriously, it worries me. My name is Wesley Gibson. My dad walked out on my mom when I was seven days old. Sometimes I wonder if he ever looked into my baby blue eyes and asked himself “did I just father the most insignificant asshole of the twenty-first century”?

Cathy: Wesley!
Wesley: [half-asleep] What is it?
Cathy: What do you mean what is it? Listen.
[subway train passes by and shakes the entire apartment]
Cathy: How the hell am I supposed to sleep with all that fucking racket? When are we going to move so that we don’t have to wake up to that shit?
Wesley: I kind of like it.
[voice-over]
Wesley: It helps to drown out the sound of your annoying fucking voice. Now please, let me sleep.

Wesley: [yelling to Janice] Shut the fuck up!
[the office grows quiet]
Wesley: [to co-workers] She has one single iota of tenuous power. She thinks she can push everyone around.
[grabs Janice’s stapler]
Wesley: You don’t need this.
[throws stapler into the wall of his cubicle]
Wesley: I understand. Junior high must’ve been kind of tough, but it doesn’t give you the right to treat your workers like horseshit, Janice. I know we laugh at you, Janice. We all know you keep a stash of jelly donuts in the top drawer of your desk.
[crouches down]
Wesley: But I want you to know, if you weren’t such a bitch, we’d feel sorry for you. I do feel sorry for you. But as it stands, the way you behave - I feel I can speak for the entire office when I tell you… go fuck yourself.

[last lines after shooting someone in the head]
Wesley: [to audience] What the fuck have you done lately? [/quote]

Definitely one for anyone who does or who has ever worked in a cubicle with a crappy overbearing boss.

[quote=“bob”]This…

Joshua is a 2007 psychological horror/thriller film about an affluent young Manhattan family and how they are torn apart by the increasingly psychotic behavior of their mentally disturbed son, Joshua. The film was directed by George Ratliff and stars Sam Rockwell, Vera Farmiga and Jacob Kogan. It was released on July 6, 2007 in the United States.

is on Star Movies (channel 69) RIGHT NOW. Spoooky![/quote]

Just finished watching that on Star. Freaky.

[quote=“Wanted”]Wesley: [voice-over] It’s my anorexic boss’ birthday. This means there’s a certain amount of inter-office pressure to stand around the conference table, eating crappy food and pretending to worship her. Acting for five minutes like Janice doesn’t make all our lives miserable is the hardest work I’ll do all day. My job title is account manager. I used to be called an account service representative, but a consultant told us we have to manage our clients, and to not service them. I have a girlfriend who I neither manage or service. That’s my best friend Barry fucking her on an Ikea kitchen table I picked up for a really good price. I’m finding it hard to care about anything these days. In fact, the only thing I do care about is the fact that I can’t care about anything. Seriously, it worries me. My name is Wesley Gibson. My dad walked out on my mom when I was seven days old. Sometimes I wonder if he ever looked into my baby blue eyes and asked himself “did I just father the most insignificant asshole of the twenty-first century”?

Cathy: Wesley!
Wesley: [half-asleep] What is it?
Cathy: What do you mean what is it? Listen.
[subway train passes by and shakes the entire apartment]
Cathy: How the hell am I supposed to sleep with all that fucking racket? When are we going to move so that we don’t have to wake up to that shit?
Wesley: I kind of like it.
[voice-over]
Wesley: It helps to drown out the sound of your annoying fucking voice. Now please, let me sleep.

Wesley: [yelling to Janice] Shut the fuck up!
[the office grows quiet]
Wesley: [to co-workers] She has one single iota of tenuous power. She thinks she can push everyone around.
[grabs Janice’s stapler]
Wesley: You don’t need this.
[throws stapler into the wall of his cubicle]
Wesley: I understand. Junior high must’ve been kind of tough, but it doesn’t give you the right to treat your workers like horseshit, Janice. I know we laugh at you, Janice. We all know you keep a stash of jelly donuts in the top drawer of your desk.
[crouches down]
Wesley: But I want you to know, if you weren’t such a bitch, we’d feel sorry for you. I do feel sorry for you. But as it stands, the way you behave - I feel I can speak for the entire office when I tell you… go fuck yourself.

[last lines after shooting someone in the head]
Wesley: [to audience] What the fuck have you done lately? [/quote]

Just read the comic this was based on. Way more fantastical. In the comic there’s a whole bunch of super villains and alternate dimensions and stuff like that. It’s not a great comic book or anything, just thought i’d :blah:

My girlfriend and I just saw Valkyrie. I liked Tom Cruise’s pirate look. Can’t wait to see Watchmen. In IMAX!

I am totally behind on current movies but been watching a lot of DVDs

Man on Fire - Like it a lot
Bella - Like it
Mr. Brooks - Like it a lot
Lust & Caution - off the chart!

Benjamin Button. Think Titanic. The love story of the ages. I believe the heart goes on and on and on.
This movie is a total snooze. I think the ladies will like it. There’s even a scene at the front of the boat. A tug boat. Someone should have sunk this stinker.

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”]Benjamin Button. Think Titanic. The love story of the ages. I believe the heart goes on and on and on.
This movie is a total snooze. I think the ladies will like it. There’s even a scene at the front of the boat. A tug boat. Someone should have sunk this stinker.[/quote]

But was the popcorn good?

Saw Frost/Nixontonight.
Great acting. Obviously embellished story - but that adds some drama/conflict.
I’m assuming most posters on here would know the background and the history of this meeting…so no need for exposition.
Bloody good movie although I’m tipping it may not be screening anywhere in Taiwan tomorrow.

Also saw the French flick Inside on DVD. This is an EXTREMELY violent film. It’s another great offering of nihilistic abhorrence that the French seemingly do so well. Unfortunately the local version is dubbed in English - which is soul destroying to me, but that aside it’s a fantastic film. Of the caliber of Haute Tension. Again, it’s an intensely blood-letting film, so anything even close to squeamish should avoid.

On the bus down from Taipei I watched Definitely, Maybe and Drillbit Taylor.

I thought Definitely, Maybe was kinda sweet and liked the story and how it was presented (father telling his daughter a story).

I like Owen Wilson, so I enjoyed Drillbit Taylor, also. Had a few laughs.

[quote=“Drillbit Taylor”]Drillbit Taylor: You’d be surprised, anything can be turned into a weapon of mayhem or destruction.
Emmit: Even a puppy?
Drillbit Taylor: Especially a puppy. The Germans used em’ in World War I. De Hundin Schtorman, Lightning Dog. They’d attach dynamite to them, Rommel did it, jerry bastard…

Drillbit Taylor: So what’d you do to provoke him?
Wade: Well he’s fat, he’s a dork, and I’m awesome.[/quote]

[quote=“杜 拜蒂”]Saw Frost/Nixontonight.
Great acting. Obviously embellished story - but that adds some drama/conflict.
I’m assuming most posters on here would know the background and the history of this meeting…so no need for exposition.
Bloody good movie although I’m tipping it may not be screening anywhere in Taiwan tomorrow.
[/quote]
It’s still on. I went yesterday and really enjoyed it. I felt all Nixon-y for the rest of the day.

“There Will Be Blood.”

Tender piece of work there.

A real heart warmer.

[quote=“bob”]“There Will Be Blood.”

A real heart warmer.[/quote]

Read the synopsis Here. Seems like an interesting movie. I can tell from the synopsis it isn’t exactly heartwarming, but is it any good?

Bloody brilliant. I don’t know who stole the show, the oilman, the preacher or the guys who designed the soundtrack. I’ve seen it twice now and the second time you start getting how funny it is in a way. The two main adult characters are having a blast making it an the kid is awestruck.

Between you and imdb.com it sounds like a winner. I’ll be adding it to my “must watch” list.

[quote=“bob”]“There Will Be Blood.”

Great film…agreed…but heart warmer? I’m not so sure about that.

The International. A fucking 2-hour snooze-fest. Has anyone seen this disaster of a film and liked it? God help me - it was appalling.
I know I’m Aussie but Lord help me me, Naomi Watts seems to be turning them in. If Funny Games and this flick are anything to go by…leave me salmon trout…

‘The Wackness’

great movie…Summer '94 NYC

[quote=“杜 拜蒂”][quote=“bob”]“There Will Be Blood.”

Great film…agreed…but heart warmer? I’m not so sure about that.[/quote]

I don’t think bob really meant that when he called it a heart warmer. But I agree it was a great flick.

I saw the Coen Brothers’ Burn after Reading last night and enjoyed it. It wasn’t their greatest by far. Not as good as Fargo, or Big Lebowski or Raising Arizona or No Country for Old Men. It was light fare and the characters were mere caricatures, but it was still fun. Malkovich was good as a pathetic loser, Clooney as a serial adulterer, Francis McDormand as a ditz, and Brad Pitt was great as a goofy young gym employee. I give it a 7.5 :thumbsup:

There Will Be Blood is pretentious and incredibly overrated.