What are you watching? (Film edition) [2009-2014]

Yeah, I liked that one, also. As you say, it was light fare, but the actors played there characters brilliantly. Interesting ending…

I loved it. Watched it on the plane during my last trip abroad. Most bizarre soundtrack in film history IMO. Going to watch “Slumdog Millionaire” and “Benjamin Button” tonight. Don’t have my hopes up for the Button thing.

I loved it. Watched it on the plane during my last trip abroad. Most bizarre soundtrack in film history IMO. Going to watch “Slumdog Millionaire” and “Benjamin Button” tonight. Don’t have my hopes up for the Button thing.[/quote]

I didn’t get that comment either. This is a film that will stand the test of time. A brilliant character study of an unredeemed misanthrope. The preacher and the oilman are over blown but that’s all the “fun” of it. It allows you to remain somehow strangely sympathetic to both of them. In what way was it pretentious?

Vicky Christina Barcelona.

FUCKING ACE! 8 thumbs up.

Yup.

I just saw “Lost in Beijing”. Interesting twist on a lot of things. Gets you thinking. Gives you a headache.

Pretentious in that it was desperately trying to be brilliant. Trying to be a brilliant character study of an unredeemed misanthrope, I guess :slight_smile: Trying to be Citizen Kane. But there was no meat to it.

There may not have been meat but there was something better, there was blood. There didn’t have to be blood. Preacher boy could have refused to admit that he was a false prophet and that god was a supersition, but he chose instead to confirm oilman man’s dismal views on humanity and sold himself out. That little dimwit died beacuse he was a coward, and in the process finished off oilman. That’s why oilman’s last words were “I’m finished”.

Just watched “Slumdog Millionaire”. Stunning. I wept like a wee girlie. Brilliant premise, outststanding execution. I have the DVD if anyone wants to borrow it.

Is it in English? Is it as good as this…

youtube.com/watch?v=bLpROhIg … re=related

Yep, In English. The little bit of Hindi is subtitled.

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]

Pretentious in that it was desperately trying to be brilliant. Trying to be a brilliant character study of an unredeemed misanthrope, I guess :slight_smile: Trying to be Citizen Kane. But there was no meat to it.[/quote]
Despite that fact that the film is flawed, Daniel Day-Lewis was awesome. One of the greatest method actors in existence. Gangs Of New York was hopelessly flawed, but he somehow redeemed it. And, Christ, he supports Millwall. Give the man a break.

[quote=“TomHill”]Vicky Christina Barcelona.

FUCKING ACE! 8 thumbs up.[/quote]

Agreed. I fully enjoyed it, also!

How was it flawed? Honest question.

This…

rottentomatoes.com/m/must_re … r_02_20_09

looks fascinating. Anybody seen it floating around Taipei anywhere.

Thanks

It’s funny, but that was exactly the association that I made to it, as well; Citizen Kane, disenfranchized individual with a vision that did not exactly correspond to what the rest of the world expected. That scene in the bowling alley in the basement of his house didn’t win any favor with me as a viewer, but then again, who am I to judge…How was it flawed? Well, his character doesn’t exactly come across as a very nice guy! :laughing:

Latest catches from DVD stores in 'Nam:

Gran Torino : Clint Eastwood’s farewell to the screen --> 5 stars
Seven Ponds : Will Smith in a very touching story. --> 5 stars
Semi Pro : Basketball in the 70’s - rather blunt but funnu --> 3.5 stars

The boy in the striped pajamas
Jews in a Concentration camp seen fron the eyes of a 8 YO German Boy. -->6 stars.
At the end, it took me 2 minutes to come back to earth. Paralized :cry:

commonsensemedia.org/movie-r … ed-pajamas

[quote=“ceevee369”]Latest catches from DVD stores in 'Nam:

Seven Ponds : Will Smith in a very touching story. --> 5 stars [/quote]

I hope this one is out of 10 stars!
I must have seen the metric version - 3.17kgs.

Smith’s last two: Hancock and 7 Pounds are easily two of the worst films I have seen in the last few years.

“glass”

…about Philip Glass the guy who scored so many of the movies you loved all your life. Bit of a goober in actuality, I think that’s part of the point.

Great documentary for anybody who loves movies and/or music and/or is interested in the creative personality/struggle/obsession…

(new release at blockbusters)

Yes Man is possibly the funniest Jim Carrey movie ever, although it finishes a bit slow, not wanting to spoil anything with too much detail. For once he’s not too stupid, silly or embarrassing which makes a change. The movie is mostly just good, crazy fun.

[quote=“bob”]“glass”

…about Philip Glass the guy who scored so many of the movies you loved all your life. Bit of a goober in actuality, I think that’s part of the point.

Great documentary for anybody who loves movies and/or music and/or is interested in the creative personality/struggle/obsession…

(new release at blockbusters)[/quote]
I imagine the tickets are already sold out for his Taiwan shows.

[quote=“ceevee369”]Latest catches from DVD stores in 'Nam:

Gran Torino : Clint Eastwood’s farewell to the screen --> 5 stars
Seven Ponds : Will Smith in a very touching story. --> 5 stars
Semi Pro : Basketball in the 70’s - rather blunt but funnu --> 3.5 stars

The boy in the striped pajamas
Jews in a Concentration camp seen fron the eyes of a 8 YO German Boy. -->6 stars.
At the end, it took me 2 minutes to come back to earth. Paralized :cry:

commonsensemedia.org/movie-r … ed-pajamas[/quote]
Are these all on DVD already? Been looking to watch The Boy in Striped Pajamas, but haven’t seen it at blockbuster yet. Also wanna see Seven Pounds.

Laughed my ass off at Semi Pro, but I always enjoy Will Ferrell movies.

Hit Blockbuster on Friday and got:

1. Saw V - Bit of a yawn, unless you’re a die hard fan.
  2. Big Stan - Possibly the worst movie by Rob Schneider. I’ve enjoyed some of his movies (The Animal and the first Deuce Bigolo), but this one was both unrealistic in it’s stupidity and completely unfunny. He’s just not convincing as a tough guy, even in a comedic setting. They should perhaps have played the story from a different angle, as it started out well but quickly descended into a sad farce. Perhaps Mr “Not-so-big-below” is compensating for something?
  3. Hellboy 2 - Another one for the die hard fans. I enjoyed the Prince Nuada character, but the movie seemed more of an advertisement for fantasy inter-species relationships than anything else.

Should’ve opted for Outlander instead…