What are you watching (TV) 2019

The left in 2003-2005: Chappelle is roasting George Bush, railing against bigotry, and satirizing race relations. We love him!

The left in 2019: Chappelle isn’t woke enough. We hate him!

1 Like

NOT WATCHING, I`ll tell you - Doctor Who.
I got my wife into the series by showing the kids Doctor Who and Clara at the proms. Shows how educational and cultural a Cheesy science fiction show could be. The family even got more into the series than me. (I’m old school kind of guy… Doctors don’t snog).
They even reluctantly accepted Peter Capaldi )(more my kind of Doctor). We all liked to hate Clara.
The past and present fit together so well under Moffat. I actually saw Tom Baker in the eyes of the Doctor when he met Sarah again after all these years.
Then… Whittaker😫.
I tried to be loyal… A female Doctor, fine. I even liked the hypoglycemic character but the stories… Except for the civil-rights one and maybe the Amazon parody were totally a turn off . My kids stopped watching 3 girls, one boy.
Can someone tell me what I’m missing about the show to make me hate it so much? I guess I’m not woke enough and a racist misogynist as well.
She needs to go. Wait, she can stay. She needs a new show runner and her character needs a bump on the head to wake her up and stabilize her regeneration. Some Doctors take longer than others to come to their senses. Rant over…

1 Like

You’re not racist or misogynistic. You stated yourself you have no problem with a female Doctor, but the stories she’s in are dreadful under the new show-runner. But I know what you mean; whenever you dislike a new interpretation of an old character, some people deliberately misinterpret that as bigotry, because they wish to marginalize or invalidate any legitimate dissent. Anyway, I’m not a huge Dr Who fan, but from what little I watched my favorite actor to play him was David Tennant. He had real presence.

Are you watching LIVE? Good show. After the 8 or 10 episode the story really gets good. Hang in there.

Watching: Naked Director

Was just about to say! Finally something I can watch with the wife lol. Fairly interested after first episode

1 Like

Yeah , you should have heard me back when Baker quit. " how dare they give this role to a veterinarian school dropout…
And I actually stopped watching until the new incarnation of the series.
Going back, maybe I acted too hasty.
BTW, In the US back in the 70’s and early 80’s the showing of Doctor Who was totally by donations from viewers of the local Public Broadcasting Station (PBS). Doctor Who fans would even volunteer to man the phone banks during funding drives. As a result we got to see all the shows from Doctor 1 to then present time several times.

2 Likes

the new MacGyver is so good,
IMHO, I almost forgot the old one. Good Family Entertainment.
But, the last couple of shows put him on thin ice as my wife is concerned.
She absolutely hated Matty’s ex-husband for what he did to her.
Be careful guys if you start to feel sympathy for character separated on a mission or work away from their spouse who becomes unfaithful.
You could be in the dog house.

The old one is on MOD channel 632.

2 Likes

Diagnosis on Netflix is a great show if you’re into medical stuff. It’s about medical mysteries that gets posted on the New York Times And people all over the world try to help diagnose the problem.

If I can go back; I’d definitely try to be a doctor. I love reading medical journals and studies. Absolutely am fascinated about medicine and human biology.

I don’t have a TV, just ESPN app.

I want to watch “Our boys” on HBO.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.haaretz.com/amp/israel-news/.premium-netanyahu-blasts-hbos-our-boys-as-anti-semitic-calls-to-boycott-israeli-channel-1.7770684

Yeah Live. I have no idea how law enforcement works in South Korea, but those guys would be so fired if they worked in the States. Not that I’m holding up the States as some kind of gold standard of law enforcement or anything, but they seem amazingly unconcerned with reading people their rights, tampering with crime scenes, and announcing themselves as police officers.

Stick with it. I believe they address that issue later. Or at least acknowledge it. It’s pretty good.

I think Auntie Peng @Icon might be interested in the show I started watching just a week ago.

用久柑仔店 - Yong Jiu Grocery Store

Too many of those drama shows about he loves her and she doesn’t love him back on TV. This one is a bit different where the story is centered around an old mom and pop shop. The main character grew up in southern town in Taiwan, went to Taipei for work and then came back to take care of his grandpa’s store.

It makes me think about ever heading back to the states and living in the suburbs, a bit further away from city life…eventually. I think it’s worth watching if you something a bit different and to improve your Taiwanese. For the gf, it was scene after scene of nostalgia as she grew up down in rural Changhua area.

1 Like

I finished season 2 of Knightfall. For me personally it wasn’t as good as the first seaon, but many online seem to think season 2 is the better one. I am interested where they’d take the story if there is a third season. They kinda deviated from history by giving the viewers a satisfactory season finale.

I started watching The Crown. So far it’s very enjoyable. Can’t believe John Lithgow is playing Winston Churchill.

I’m actually enjoying season 2 more. It’s more high energy, and the soap opera parts are punchier. Holden is in full form.

To each their own. I dislike the personal drama in ‘Mindhunter.’ I didn’t like Holden’s girlfriend in the first season, didn’t care for Carr’s romantic subplot in s2, and really hated the Tench’s kid stuff. I just find it forced, ham-handed and too soapy. But I love the main serial killer storylines (including the Atlanta child murders in s2) and that keeps me coming back.

Moving on, my friend recommended ‘Dark’, a supernatural German series that’s supposed to be similar to ‘Stranger Things’ or ‘It.’ Anyone seen it?

2 Likes

They would be something that’s better suited to a long season, I’d rather get more of the serial killer stuff as well. I hated Holden’s gf as well, so annoying and added nothing. I guess it was to show holdens personality with someone who was a contrast.

Totally agree, although she did appear in probably the best cunnilingus scene I have ever seen on film television. This S2 romance is better, though I think I can obviously predict where it’s going

2 Likes

It is better. And a bit more interesting. I guess it’s an dynamic I’ve not seen much before. Holdens relationship in S1 seemed very predictable and cliche.

2 Likes

How far along? Tench’s ending got real m’f’n soapy. It’s kinda facepalm.

1 Like