What are you watching (TV) 2019

I have been watching Knightfall on netflix. I started because I am interest in what happened between the French king and the Knights Templars.

It ended up a pretty thrilling ride filled with political intrigue, back stabbing, romance and medieval combat.

Haven’t gotten to the part where Luke Skywalker shows up, can’t wait.

I thought 2.1 may have been the best episode so far. There was a taste of some enjoyable office politics in S1, but they really got into it here.

How accurate is the history? I can get easily sidetracked if a program that purports to be based on historic events gets the history wildly wrong.

Well, if Luke Skywalker shows up that might be a bad sign :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I haven’t finished yet. But the later episodes felt like the story of inception.

I give credit to Mike Flanagan, the last episode ties it all together pretty well.

Who is your favorite character? I liked the arc of the drug addicted son, that was really good imo. His relationship with the youngest sister (his twin) was well done, and sets up the last episode to really pop.

Theo. I like her ability and she’s kind of the odd ball out of the family of odd balls. She also kind of look like Angelina jolie, just a bit.

Yeah, it’s a good story. But maybe hits a bit too close to home for me with a lot of people I know. A reminder of how terrible addiction is and the way addicts act. They did get the whole rehab and how they behave as addicts really well though. It’s really accurate stuff.

I’m on the last episode now.

I’m a big fan of Kate Siegal, who btw is married to the director irl. She’s in two other Netflix movies, too: Gerald’s Game and Hush. Hush may be the best horror movie right now on Netflix. You should check it out.

Cool, I may go right into it after.

I have a free and open week so I’m enjoying the time to catch up on some shows.

@bojack I have started on the first season of The Terror. 2 episodes in, I like it. I like Jared Harris as Captain Francis Crozier. I like many of his roles in the past.

1 Like

I’m still wondering how accurate is the history.

It started out well, aside for more theatrical clothing designs.

All the key players are fairly based on history at first, King Philip IV, and Joan I of Navarre.

The timeline is consistent with real history as of now. For example, in the pilot episode King Philip expelled the jews, and by the end of the season the templars fell out of his favor. In real history the two events happened in 1306 and 1307.

The biggest discrepancy for now is Isabella’s age. History says she is 12 in 1308. In the show Isabella is played by two different actresses in season 1 and 2, which is a bit confusing. Either way she looks at least 15 as of 1307.

Another discrepancy is that in real history, Clement V has been the pope since 1305, but even though the story began around 1306, Pope Boniface VIII is still the pope in the show, who should have died in 1303.

2 Likes

No way I can watch it then.

2 Likes

I haven’t gotten to that part of the show yet, but I assume the writers made this choice so that they can streamline Philip IV’s manipulation of the papacy.

Philip IV’s removal of Pope Boniface VIII happened in 1303, and there was Benedict XI succeeding him before Pope Clement V rose to power with Philip’s backing. By postponing Boniface’s demise, and probably skipping Benedict XI all together, the show can get to the fun part of king of France v.s. the templars without going through a season of papal politics first, and tie Philip’s motive with his desire to wipe the templars off the face of the earth.

The center of the conflicts between Philip and Boniface remains true in the show. Boniface wanted to be more hands on with temporal matters, and Philip is probably going to remove his hands from the ferula.

It’s also a much cleaner lead in to Clement V starting the Avignon Papacy.

2 Likes

Just thought I’d post this for fans of The Terror. Take a look at what the ship actually looked like.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/a-solemn-space-first-interior-shots-of-franklin-s-hms-terror-released-1.4568127

1 Like

Those shoes, man. I can’t imagine how cold it must have been to wear those in the Arctic.

In the novel, once Crozier joins Lady Silence in their march south to her people and they’ve become lovers, he discards his Royal Navy clothing and wears the simple Inuit clothing consisting of just four pieces - boots, pants, parka, and mittens - made from caribou fur. Simmons takes some time and allows Crozier to wonder at how much warmer he feels. Caribou hair is hollow and makes a perfect insulator. Simmons spends just enough time on this to make the reader realize what a horrible mistake was made by outfitting the Franklin crews with Royal Navy gear. As Amundsen showed, the Royal Navy would have wise to copy the clothing of the local Inuit who’d survived the arctic for millennia.

I liked the way Simmons allows the reader to realize that the Franklin expedition was doomed if they were ever forced to leave the central heating of their ships.The horror in Simmons’ novel is the sense of inescapable doom that slowly envelopes those who survive. Having Crozier make the clothing change was used to great effect by Simmons to heighten the sense that nobody was meant to survive, not even Crozier - unless he joined the Lady Silence’s and her late father’s pagan worship of the demon.

Anyway, seeing those shoes makes me shake my head again. Those men were so fucked.

This looks interesting. Sasha Baron Cohen’s first dramatic role as an Israeli spy (based on a true story). Coming to Netflix in September. Will it come to Taiwanese Netflix…? That’s the question.

https://youtu.be/hB1JWP7nRpM

3 Likes

My wife is making me suffer through some Korean show about police officers. I don’t know how law enforcement works in South Korea, but if those guys did that stuff in the States they wouldn’t last more than a week in that job.

Also saw The Boys recently. The ending was disappointing, but otherwise it was a great show.

The World Between Us is Really good. It is already available on DVD so I guess it can be reached in, ehem, other platforms. Really recommended.

Taipei, Aug. 28 (CNA) Taiwanese television crime series “The World Between Us” (我們與惡的距離) led the number of nominations at the 54th Golden Bell Awards in the category of television with a total of 14 nods on Wednesday.

“The World Between Us” gained a nomination for best television series in the program awards, in addition to gaining nominations for best actress and actor in the roles played by Alyssa Chia (賈靜雯) and Wu Kang-ren (吳慷仁), respectively.

The series, which had a budget of NT$43 million (US$1.39 million), describes the aftermath of a mass-shooting that intertwines the fates of multiple characters including the killer, victims, the victims’ families and the media.

Other nominations include best supporting actress for Pets Tseng’s (曾沛慈) role in the series, and three best supporting actors nods for Honduras (洪都拉斯), James Wen (溫昇豪), and JC Lin (林哲熹).

The series also received recognition for best writing and best director for a television series.

On Children, that is mentioned here, is also worthy of a look.

2 Likes

You guys should def waych Dave Chappell’s new special on Netflix. Especially because the guardian hated it lol.

1 Like