What can be done to help our SEA friends currently suffering

or MOL?

3 Likes

Throughout the country, as most locals and Western white-collar expatriates in cities and towns from north to south, east to west, live under “Level 3” restrictions on gatherings, blue collar workers from Southeast Asia in Miaoli can only dream of freedoms such as going out to buy their own food, or even going outside at all, for that matter.

I don’t think that the argument of ‘they haven’t locked up the white collar workers’ isn’t the best approach here.

1 Like

It’s time to lose our shit and not back down.

I’ll be looking for similar at my place.

1 Like

Nice how they say “不外放” like they’re cattle or something.

3 Likes

Or disease vectors…

3 Likes

Bloody hell…
They do really think this way

1 Like

I haven’t seen any SEA caretakers in my neighborhood for perhaps three days though I’m unsure of the reason - I assumed that it was because old folks weren’t going out though that doesn’t explain why they aren’t heading out for garbage collection.

For people saying that ‘we need to contact somebody’, being charitable, what are the odds that authorities don’t know, precisely, what is happening? Last year when a handful of restaurants and clubs were prohibiting obvious foreigners (and, no, I’m not equating that this is near the same) the response was “we’re all in this together” from the authorities and “if you don’t like it, get out” from social media.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s just me, a native speaker might not look at it that way.

I’m willing to contribute $3000 on legal fees. Anyone else want to contribute?

The taiwanese solution: lock the foreign white collar workers up as well.

@bananas I don’t think the police can do much about it.
Does taiwan have some anti-discrimination office? That would be the proper recipient.

Taiwan needs some unions.

4 Likes

What kind of legal action is considered?

1 Like

To be honest with you, whatever the lawyer recommends is best to attain the goal because I am not a lawyer and my legal ‘advice’ is worth nothing.

1 Like

No. Taiwan does not. My lawyer said no.

2 Likes

PM sent

I don’t know whether any of the Criminal Code Article below applies in the situations in this thread that involve restricting the migrant workers’ freedom; I guess it hinges on whether the restricting person has the legal authority to do so:

Article 302, Criminal Code of the Republic of China

I’ve looked for the meaning of that one, and I can’t find it.

Every society that I have ever lived in, is racist to some degree - and I have lived in many. It’s only ever dealt with when you are forced to confront it. Look at this small island, do you ever see diversity? Anybody ever going against the grain? Protesting? Rebeling? They are socially constipated, insular, selfish, unsophisticated. It looks and feels old, unhappy, pressurised.

3 Likes

But the law does seem to provide some kind of remedy against discrimination:

English translation of Article 62, Immigration Act

This link is to the English translation of “Regulation for Petitions against Discrimination against People Residing in the Taiwan Area.”

Here’s the Chinese of Article 62, Immigration Act:

This link is to the Chinese version of “Regulation for Petitions against Discrimination against People Residing in the Taiwan Area.”

Edited to add:

Here’s the English translation of the penalty provision for violating Article 62:

Here’s a link to the above English translation.

Here’s a link to the Chinese version of Article 81.

Have you ever been to Kaohsiung?

AFAIK no real enforcement for that