What can be done to help our SEA friends currently suffering

doing quarantine due to a rule and being locked up in a dorm or home with no endorsing rule are completely different.

in a luxury room just for yourself.

4 Likes

You claimed most of the rest of the country was doing the same.
Which is BS.
Also you signed up for that. They didnā€™t. They also may have much longer restrictions than two weeks.

3 Likes

The 2pm news conference telecast is reporting 0 new cases in Miaoli today. Great news if true.
And the new case count across the island is 174.

If we can beat back this virus, it will be city-by-city.

So exactly 0 Taiwanese live in non-student dorms ?

Good newsā€“the housing association has replaced the racist notice encouraging residents to illegally keep foreign caretakers indoors.

Still refusing to acknowledge foreign workers having any kind of agency, but baby steps in the right direction.

5 Likes

Just wondering if a foreigner owned housing complex were to put up a sign saying Taiwan nationals with hukou are prohibited from entering due to covid - please cooperate. What would be the reaction ā€¦

4 Likes

Likely the same thing that happened when apartment complexes were putting up notices saying foreigners not allowed to enter: unwanted media attention and quick backpedaling.

1 Like

Right. At least itā€™ll make a point in the press. Whether get the point or no is another issue ā€¦

Exactly.

depending on outliers to support your argument isnā€™t a wise choice

Iā€™m not the one doing that. But in any case, the number of Taiwanese with hukou living in their rusty grilled homes have spread way more virulent droplets than any other group. Thatā€™s not me talking. Itā€™s CECCā€™s numbers.

1 Like

show me the percentages and Iā€™ll agree

about 700,000 migrant workers

about 23,000,000 citizens

how many covid cases for each group?

Percentage over the entire population is not relevant here. If Iā€™m infected and I go around and sit next to 5 people, their chance of getting infected is the same, whether the rest of my ā€œraceā€ in the country is spread out in thousands or millions.

Itā€™s the local cluster population thatā€™s relevant. And from what Iā€™ve read about the super spreaders in Novotel, CAL and prostitution houses, it was 100% nationals with hukou.

1 Like

then show the percentage of migrant workers in that dorm vs the percentage of citizens in Wanhua or wherever you like

itā€™s still a game of percentages

By their original regulations, domestic caregivers were also prohibited to go out, but their caretakers and other members living together were not.

2 Likes

I donā€™t need to. Itā€™s your claim that itā€™s beneficial to lock up migrant workers, never mind the fact they theyā€™re not the super spreaders. So letā€™s see your data backing up your claim.

1 Like

I never said that. I just said itā€™s something to consider. in fact, I suggested they should break out, consequences be damned

Iā€™m not bothered by it enough to search for numbers

if I had to bet, Iā€™d bet migrant workers have a relative higher percentage of infection and that dormitories are more conducive to spread

thatā€™s all Iā€™m saying, feel free to disagree

Allegedly migrant factory workers in Tainan are being told to they are to be locked down for 30 days by their employer(s)

Images were shared by TaiwanObserver on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/TaiwanObserverNews/posts/3604524309785159

2 Likes

I feel slightly sorry for the companies involved; theyā€™re caught between a rock and a hard place. The government knows they have no legal leg to stand on to enforce these ā€œrulesā€, so theyā€™re outsourcing the dirty work to company bosses - who are, in effect, being told to do something illegal at armā€™s length on behalf of the county govā€™t, on pain of punishment. This is truly dystopian stuff.

2 Likes

I want to see the CEO and the workers in the same company in forced quarantine cells. Letā€™s see how that would turn outā€¦

3 Likes