What do you believe is true even though you cannot prove it?

God (or Not), Physics and, of Course, Love: Scientists Take a Leap

There are some really good ones here. Not for the superficially inclined.

My favorites:

1. Irrational Choices
  2. Darwinian natural selection
  3. "I believe that consciousness and its contents are all that exists. " David Hoffman, Cognitive scientist, UC Irvine
  4. God, proof
  5. “free will” (i.e. “Lord of the Flies”)
  6. True love

I can’t prove that there must be intelligent life far more advanced than our own planet.

There must be some other intelligence in those billions uon billions of other galaxies that far outstrips our paltry human existance, cause there’s bugger all down here.

[quote=“Satellite TV”]I can’t prove that there must be intelligent life far more advanced than our own planet.

There must be some other intelligence in those billions uon billions of other galaxies that far outstrips our paltry human existance, cause there’s bugger all down here.[/quote]

Yeah, absolutely true. If there’s other life out there, then there ought to also be other intelligence out there.

…and that Star Trek is out there for other life out there in the universe.

The world is round.

Darwinian natural selection?

I believe that behind all science there is magic. I mean, we can explain the nuts and bolts of the fermentation process … but we cannot explain, with science, the WHY?.. Why should it be this way? Magic.

I beleive we are all magicians!

I believe there is a supreme being out there.

It’s here. It’s all around everywhere…

Me.

I’m serious. How can any of us actually prove that we even exist?

Maybe there is no why. Oh… we can add, “Why” to the list, too.

[quote=“Tetsuo”]Me.

I’m serious. How can any of us actually prove that we even exist?[/quote]
I believe you…

I believe there is no matter without consciousness.

[quote=“Tetsuo”]Me.

I’m serious. How can any of us actually prove that we even exist?[/quote]

Maybe we’re not really here.

I believe I’ll have another beer.

I believe its getting late. And in the amazing power of music.

Read somewhere, nobody could rule out we would be just parts of simulation. Because you only have to start with a few basic chemical elements, set up a few nature rules (some are even constant numbers determining the basic structure of the universe) and let all the rest run in a simulation.
The outcome could be a 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 dimensional universe or whatever. Maybe with suns and planets or something different.

The article concluded, even WE could run such a simulation now. Let it run faster than in real life and see if we can talk to the tiny simulated inhabitants one day.

Guess they would be shocked to see God is 35 year old computer nerd with greasy hair…

[Edit]: if they run on Windows, they are screwed…

R Kelly believes he can fly.

i believe that children are the future. teach them well and let them lead the way. :blush:

I believe our children are older than we are.