What do you believe is true even though you cannot prove it?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

OK, but several points:

1. Posting != thinking. See the IP forum for proof of that.
  2. How can he prove he even thought that? How can he prove that it wasnā€™t me that posted ā€œhisā€ post? How can he prove that I wasnā€™t just quoting myself, or that he wasnā€™t just quoting himself in his reply to ā€œmeā€? How can he prove that any of this even actually happened, and that he didnā€™t merely imagine it happened, or that this all isnā€™t just some dream or something? After all, the senses are notoriously fallible, to start with.
  3. How can you know that he wrote what I quoted?

Then thereā€™s the more practical point - how can you actually prove that youā€™re thinking anyway? Thatā€™s essentially another part of my point. If the only basis upon which we can prove our existence is our thoughts, and we canā€™t actually prove that weā€™re even thinking, how can we prove that we exist? I mean, we can prove that certain electrical impulses occur in the brain, but can we actually prove that those impulse directly correlate to thought?[/quote]
Iā€™m not sure if I actually posted hereā€¦ Iā€™m not sure if I quoted you and then Iā€™m not sure if you quoted me back either. Iā€™m not sure my fingers are typing right this second but short of any proofā€¦Iā€™ll keep typingā€¦Sounds like a severe LSD high to me although Iā€™ll admit, I ask myself very similar questions from time to time. Philosophy bears its name for a reason but I beleive it should not replace or impair faith. :wink:

Criminy! This is as painful to my old bean as Intro to Philosophy and itā€™s sister course - Critical Thinking. Hereā€™s a brief reviewā€¦

Intro to Philosophy: In this course, taught by a dude who wore the same wool blazer (with suede elbow patches) and khakiā€™s every day for the whole semester, we learned that weā€™re all just brains in a vat controlled by an evil genius. Well, because we couldnā€™t prove that we werenā€™t such, it was as good as proven. BTW, the teacher dude (bloke, guy, chap, etc.) was always muttering to himself outside of class and lived in the same rundown apartment building as my gf at the time. BTW part 2, my gf did exceptionally well in the course while I struggled. I majored in physics. She concluded that physics must be a cake walk. Me tutoring her in pre-calculus was the beginning of the end of our relationshipā€¦

Critical Thinking: In this course, taught by a Jesuit in full frockery with a very pleasant disposition and a genuine interest in my penchant for motorcycles and heavy metal music, we learned by logical proof that because evil exists, God does not (or can not). I believe in the following semester, Father Gillingham offered a stronger proof of Godā€™s existence that accounts for the presence of evil. Unfortunately, my days at Gonzaga University were numbered** and I didnā€™t get a chance to see how the kindly priest worked out the existence of God proof.

Moral of the story - philosophy and philosophical discussions make my head spin. I believe (but canā€™t prove) that thereā€™s a part of the brain where this kind of stuff lives that Iā€™m not in touch with.

Oh yeah, I also believe that dogs, family, brief periods of solitude, meals consisting of 5 different colored foods and controlled vices are the keys to a long and happy life.

Later,
Rob.

NP - some crap by Europe on iTunes radio

** womenā€™s dorm past curfew, 'nuff saidā€¦

Which brings me to another thing I believe but canā€™t prove:

It is far better to have an idea than a belief - you can change an idea, when new information comes to light or when you come up with a better one. Beliefs are far more resistant to change.

All proofs are products of belief.

I belief there is no and never will be a proof that can proove/disproove Godā€™s (or multiple Gods) existence. (maybe there already is a proof that prooves you canā€™t proove it :laughing:)

I believe womyn will eventually take over as drivers of the mother ship Earth.

I believe Iā€™ll laugh at the thought of Destop PCs in my life time.

I believe but cannot prove that a lot of philosophical mumbo jumbo is impossible to understand because it does not in fact make any sense, or, in extreme cases, mean anything at all. Others may be able to prove or disprove this in certain specific instances and this is why every university has a philosophy department.

[quote=ā€œTetsuoā€]Which brings me to another thing I believe but canā€™t prove:

It is far better to have an idea than a belief - you can change an idea, when new information comes to light or when you come up with a better one. Beliefs are far more resistant to change.-ā€¦3) How can you know that he wrote what I quoted?[/quote]
Someone pinch me. :help:

[quote=ā€œChrisā€][quote=ā€œTetsuoā€]Me.

Iā€™m serious. How can any of us actually prove that we even exist?[/quote]
ā€œI think, therefore I am.ā€[/quote]

" I am pink, therefore I am Spam"

Most of us probably have an irrational thought from time to time that the universe in some way revolves aroundā€¦me me me . I also have this strange sense that when I die someone, post death will approach me & sayā€¦OK lets review how you didā€¦& have the ability to run action replays of the more embarrasing moments of my life ā€¦perhaps in front of a studio audienceā€¦

That I am the sexist woman on this planetā€¦

Now if People magazine would just put me on that dammed coverā€¦

Itā€™s more that I hope than believe this is true, but I really hope for reincarnation. Because if this is the only shot I get at life, I want a refund! :taz:

[quote=ā€œNamahottieā€]That I am the sexist woman on this planetā€¦[/quote]Itā€™s supposed to be something you canā€™t prove, the pictures on your website are proof :lovestruck:

Thereā€™s nothing irrational about that. If the universe is, to our perception at least, infinite, or curves in the manner scientists say it does (much in the manner that the earth is curved, except in another spatial dimension), then it either revolves around nothing or it revolves around everything relative to the observer. If the latter is true, then everyone is the center of the universe from their perspective on it.

Like this?

I can prove that youā€™re wrong. Thereā€™s more than one sexist woman on this planet and I can prove it.
Hell, thereā€™s more than one sexist woman right here on Forumosa. :wink:

I can prove that youā€™re wrong. Thereā€™s more than one sexist woman on this planet and I can prove it.
Hell, thereā€™s more than one sexist woman right here on Forumosa. :wink:[/quote]

Yaā€™ll know this is all tongue in cheek right? Right, im sureā€¦

Okay, Area 54 does exsist, and the washington mounment is a governmental spy station, and 9/11 was engineered by Bush and Co.

Sexistā€¦ sexiestā€¦ oh, whatā€™s the difference, eh? :wink:

i believe in extra-terrestrial intelligence even though i canā€™t prove it. i believe that many things in the Bible are connected to this, though i DO NOT believe Jesus is an alien in the simple sense of the word. stephen spielberg said ā€œChrist was the ultimate extra-terrestrialā€. i take that in the broad sense. i believe Jesusā€™s ā€œnot of this worldnessā€ is only one facet of His work and mission and definitely not the most important. however, i find no conflict whatsoever with believing that the way the message has been given to us may not be exactly what we have traditionally thought. i believe the message and thatā€™s whatā€™s important to me. Jesus being an alien would in no way falsify the statements that he was from the father, from above, came to pay a penalty for the sins of mankind, rose on the 3rd day, nor would it change for me the meaning of any creeds of salvation (confession, belief, etc).

Hollywood and the internet are two of the strongest weapons in Americaā€™s arsenal in the fight against people thinking for themselves.

I believe but cannot prove that the other thing that stupid people should not be allowed to do is post articles in the internet.

I beleive to know little
But for our lives are so brittle
I beleive in you and me
But too often deceitfully

[quote]I believe for every drop of rain that falls a flower grows
I believe that somewhere in the darkest night a candle glows
I believe for everyone who goes astray someone will come to show the way
I believe, I believe

I believe above the storm the smallest prayer will still be heard
I believe that someone in the great somewhere hears every word
Every time I hear a newborn baby cry or touch a leaf or see the sky
Then I know why I believe

[/quote]

Robson & Jerome :tic:

(I really needed a ā€˜throw upā€™ emoticon)