What do you drink? How much do you drink?

[quote]Never tried Bookers.

Tell ya what… when smerf comes over to try the Rebel Yell, you can too. Then, you can tell us how they compare.[/quote]

Well how about I buy a bottle of Bookers on the way back to Taiwan and we can all compare them both?

First time really drunk was at a cousin’s wedding in Toronto when I was 15. My Cape Breton uncle got me pretty hammered before we even got to the wedding on Molson’s, and then after that it was wine, punch and more beer. I think I tried to make out with a cousin some time later in the evening. No not the one getting married. And no not a close cousin. I never saw these people before that day. Strange, I’ve never seen them again since. :smiley:

[quote=“Mucha (Muzha) Man”][quote]Never tried Bookers.

Tell ya what… when smerf comes over to try the Rebel Yell, you can too. Then, you can tell us how they compare.[/quote]

Well how about I buy a bottle of Bookers on the way back to Taiwan and we can all compare them both?[/quote]

Ooooh… sounds good!

I don’t know about you folks but all this talk about drinks is making me thirsty.

My wife told me she used to like Beer with Tomato juice and a dried plum(?). Can that possibly taste good?

No.

IMO, of course. :wink:

I can’t believe you Canucks drink beer with tomato juice. Ahh-yeww!

Or is it a practical joke on us non-Canucks? Y’all just pretend to like drinking beer with tomato juice with the sole intention of grossing foreigners out.

I DRINK TO ESCPAE REALITY REALLY

LIKE WHEN LIFE IS HARD WHY BOTHER THINKING ABOUT IT

TAIWAN BEER IS COOL IT DOES THE TRICK WHENY OU HATE YOUR LIFE

seriously when i was in grade 8 after the school year

homie stole some peach schnopps

we had a party and my breath smelled and i felt all warm inside

[quote=“Illah”]I DRINK TO ESCPAE REALITY REALLY

LIKE WHEN LIFE IS HARD WHY BOTHER THINKING ABOUT IT

TAIWAN BEER IS COOL IT DOES THE TRICK WHENY OU HATE YOUR LIFE

seriously when I was in grade 8 after the school year

homie stole some peach schnopps

we had a party and my breath smelled and i felt all warm inside[/quote]

e.e. cummings? Haiku?

Maybe you should change your forum name to “Jerry Lee” :wink:

Come on, Mod. You’ve heard of a Bloody Mary; that’s just a Beardy (or is it Beerdy) Mary.

Seriously, never heard of it. Scotch, single-malt, 12yrs or more, neat.

CK

Male or female?

[quote=“mod lang”]I can’t believe you Canucks drink beer with tomato juice. Ahh-yeww!

Or is it a practical joke on us non-Canucks? Y’all just pretend to like drinking beer with tomato juice with the sole intention of grossing foreigners out.[/quote]

Cannuck? My wife is Taiwanese and I am NOT Canadian. But I do know John from Toronto, do you know him? :wink: :smiley:

Perhaps your wife was introduced to beer with tomato juice from a former Canadian boyfriend. That’s the only logical explanation. No one else but Canadians are insane enough to regularly imbibe that concoction.

[quote=“blueface666”]First time? Maybe. Age 17. A lot of hash and a couple of valiums washed down with a bottle of Martini and Rossi.

Just drunk? Kinda fuzzy…18. At Myrtle Beach, SC. Had a gallon jug of Green Goddam…Everclear Grain Alcohol and Minute Maid Limeade. :laughing:

internetwines.com/pa25994.html
drinksmixer.com/desc494.html

And here’s a great recipe for your next party. :laughing:

Everclear Jello (190 proof grain alcohol)

Orange Flavored Jello
Knox Unflavored Jello
1 cup of Everclear
Take the 4 cup of water jello box and empty it into a bowl
mix in 3 cups
hot water and disolve jello
add two packets of knox unflavored jello

Add the cup of everclear. Pour into mold or for best results pour into
pill cups (small ones you get in the hospital) and let set 2+ hours.
Vodka can be substituted for everclear with good results
just use two cups of vodka and two cups of water.[/quote]Everclear is e-e-e-vil. No one I know has ever drunk everclear and kept the contents of their stomach inside of them. No one.

Mind you, I wouldn’t touch everclear with a ten-foot pole. Even if it were to push off a cliff.

Actually, ML, for me, another “beer” that wheat farmers are fond of is tomato, or red, beer. Actually, not just wheat farmers; I can go to any tavern here in the middle of the US and get a red beer. I’ve had lots of it in my time. If the ambient temperature is hot enough, and the mix is right (about two parts beer - the cheaper the better, although wheat ale or any pilsner will do - to one part tomato juice), it’s not bad at all. Somehow the hops in cheap beer can be enhanced this way, imo, complemented somehow by American tomato juice, and the result is pretty damn easy to drink. The temperature also has to be near 0 degrees C as well, and it helps to mix it in a pitcher and pour it into a very chilled glass. There are even times when I crave a red beer, strongly. (I guess there are some kinds of fruit I like in my beer - tomato - which makes my beer post earlier pretty freakin subjective, I readily admit. But I still can’t stand citrus or any other sweet fruit in my beer… gag, citrus in beer, keyrist)

The problem with red beer in Taiwan, imo, is the tomato juice. It tastes like sht- the flavor is just all wrong. Of course, I compare it to tomato juice in the US/N. America which has a tangier flavor. Something else about Taiwan tomato juice isn’t right, but I can’t put my finger on it. It’s somehow too-sweet and a bit skunky at the same time; the body seems to be mostly water…I can’t say exactly what’s wrong with it, but I know it’s all wrong anyway. I can’t even drink it straight; if used in a red beer, the outcome has to suck, I’m sure. Holy sht, gag…

If Taiwan had American tomato juice, you could just buy a jumbo can of Miller, keep both the juice and the High Life in the freezer for an hour or so, mix together in a chilled pilsner glass, and it ain’t bad stuff, imo. You might be forced to retract all yer anti-Canuck rhetoric, even. :smiley:

Maybe you never tried red beer in the US/Canada before, ML? Or you don’t like tomatoes to begin with?

I like tomatoes.

:laughing:

Somehow I sense some doubt on your part…

flike,

Like you, I am rather fond of beer.

And I love tomatos… especially the big beefsteak tomatos my folks grow.

But I cannot imagine liking the two (beer and tomatos) together.

We don’t do that in Pittsburgh.

[quote=“tigerman”]…I cannot imagine liking the two (beer and tomatos) together.

We don’t do that in Pittsburgh.[/quote]

Yeah, I think it may be a regional thing. That said, even in my neighborhood brew pub, the pimply kids who pass for waitstaff know what a red beer is.

Perhaps some Canadians care to weigh in here? (maybe the region in question here is the North American high prairie and non-breakfast tomato beers are only or largely enjoyed there)

FWIW, here’s what beeradvocate.com has to say about it:

[quote]What’s the name of a drink consisting of 1/2 beer, 1/2 tomato juice?

SEB
via e-mail

Ah, yes, this odd version of a “Hair of the Dog” concoction. There’s nothing more appealing than mixing salty tomato juice with cheap pale lager. Mmm … tomato beer, it’s what’s for breakfast!

There are a few nicknames for this barmy mix: Tomato Beer, Beer Bloody Mary or Red Rooster. The original “Red Eye” was a mix of beer, tomato juice, Tabasco sauce and a raw egg - hence the eye reference. Quite appetizing after a hard night of drinking and dry heaving, right? That said, we highly recommend that you do not pull a Rocky and drop the raw egg in the glass, as you may end up worse off than when you started.

So to settle your question, you can call it a Red Eye, though it will be served with Tabasco in it (no egg), or just order a Beer Bloody Mary. If the bartender doesn’t understand, than you’re probably in the wrong place for the way you feel.[/quote]

And if you go here, you can learn about ever more vile additions to beer (blackcurrants? champagne?). Call mine a sheltered life if you like, but I can’t imagine champagne and Guinness stout in the same glass, in my mouth, and then - shock! - in my gut (a Black Velvet; I detest champagne, what a bald scam that stuff is, imo).

Of course, tomato juice is perfectly natural. :laughing: :blush: