What do you feel about Shih Ming-teh?

I’d love to know what the local and foreign community feel about him.

My overriding memory of him was in 2000 when the DPP won the Presidentcy for the first time. Before Chen Sui-Bien and Shih Ming-teh went out to the public, they spoke to the foreign media. Shih Ming-teh spoke first. It was a beautiful speech talking about how Taiwan can now believe in having a new way of life: Clean water, clean streets, clean government…it came accross as a beautiful speech in Translation.

Then Chen spoke and it was a total contrast to Shih Ming-teh. There was no vision at all in his speech. I just remember agreeing with those around me that maybe Taiwan has just elected the wrong person. Does anyone remember this?

Everything I have ever heard from Shih Ming-teh has been very positive. He has an almost Nelson Mandela/Vaclav Havel (The first Czech president after communism) feel to him. A confident- I have a vision -feel to himself.

It is very interesting that Shih Ming-teh spent 25 years in prison for what he believed in and Nelson Mandela spent 27.

I can’t help feeling maybe Taiwan would be on as a good a road as The Czech Republic or Estonia (Who also had a strong-convinced to do the right thing president - in the beginning of its democracy) if Shih Ming-teh would have been chosen in 2000 rather the Chen Sui-Bien.

Any thoughts?

I think his name is properly spelled “Shi Mingde.” :slight_smile:

I think his Chinese is also better than Chen’s.

No. Shih spells his name Shih Ming-teh. Like Chen, he speaks Mandarin with a noticeable Taiwanese accent although unlike Chen he does not intentionally exaggerate his accent.

For another view of Shih, you might read Linda Arrigo’s Statement.

bollocks…according to linda arrigo his ex-wife (ok ok shes biased) he couldnt organise a piss-up in a brewery and spent his time as head of the dpp drinking and womanizing (at which he is acknowledged to be a master). he might be a good speaker but his current campaign is motivated by sour grapes against chen and jealousy at his political successes and little else more…why else would he share a podium with people like james soong?

forget about comparisons to the czech republic. it wouldnt have mattered if jesus christ himself had won the 2000 erection…this is taiwan; it specializes in political incompetency and cronyism of the worse kind no matter who is at the helm…the sad thing is a-bian does not deserve the treatment he is getting now…whatever his failings (and they are many) i personally think he has acted for the most part with the best interests of taiwan at heart; which is more than i can say for shih ming-de and everyone else involved in this pecking party…

Let me clarify: “Shi Mingde” is the way his name would be spelled in Hanyu Pinyin, the dominant system of Romanization today.

Never heard of him. :laughing:

From the mouth of a supporter of Taiwan indepence and the DPP, Shi Ming De is a trouble maker and a disgrace. This is a democratic society, A-bien and Ma Ying Jiu, should both be shipped back to China.
What Taiwan needs, is a mouth like Lu Shou Lien and a person with the balls/guts, to put words into action.
I’d trade Bush for A-Bien, anyday.
You Taiwanese think you got it bad?
Peace, Mark

If I have to hear or read this one more time, I am gonna puke. Nelson Mandela he ain’t. Where does Shih get his money from, BTW?

I don’t follow Taiwan politics that much, so I am not qualified to comment on political issues here.

Just allow me to add my take on Annette Lu based on TV pictures. She must spend A LOT (and I mean A LOT) of her time chosing her outfits (costumes, hair-do, jewelry, etc.).

OK, she is not married, so she has time to do so, probably, and she is rich enough to pay for the stuff herself, but do you think a person who is so occupied with her own appearance would be the right person for the top job? Or is it completely irrelevant?

Hannes, you have every right to comment, but umm, put the brain in gear first, alright?

:laughing:

Shih Ming Teh, what a sad and sorry end to go from an activist for democracy to a piss poor pawn of the forces that would snuff out that democratic light in an instant.

HG

Hannes: Everyone says Annette Lu is ugly. She spends time on her appearance so that she can be well received by the public. Nobody thinks she is a vain about her appearance. If anything, they would think she is insecure about her appearance because people say she is ugly.

Regarding Shih Ming Teh, he hopelessly lost the election he ran in Kaohsiung so embarassing were the figures, that I am surprised he didn’t crawl under a rock never to be seen again.

By the way, my wife and her sister and friends met him a few years back when they were at the same restaurant. It wasn’t because they went over to shake his hand, he is such a womanizer, he was over there at their table with his low class wink wink and lewd stares.

I think of Shih Ming Teh as a turncoat. He should do more support the DPP and help Taiwan. He is currently just causing a lot of chaos and the whole thing looks obviously like he was bought out by the KMT and now is shamelessly also promoting himself in the name of helping the country. What a load of malarky. He might have charisma, but as the Bear said, his heart is in the wrong place.

i neva said 'is 'eart was in the wrong place :wink: …fact is he has no heart…and he sold his soul to the blue forces of evil already…still at least we know there’s one part of his anatomy still working :slight_smile: (low blow for a wet monday morning)

oh, I see…

and I thought her attire was making her look ugly…

btw. shouldn’t a leader NOT be insecure… :wink:

anyway, that’s all off topic

Mr. Shih? The news reports he has this thing with his hair. He constantly feels the need to stroke it back… :smiley:

Taiwan News reports:

Shih abandoning his ideal? by Linda Gail Arrigo Archived

Wife says Shih trying to recapture the past by Linda Gail Arrigo Archived

Wow, the Taiwan News ran these? Usually I go to the Taipei Times for that kind of objective reporting.

Two words about this Larry: Political Whore.

Anyone want to bet that Shih will run for president in 2008? And then there’ll be a repeat of 2000. The blue votes will be split between Shih and Ma, and the DPP stands to reap the reward.

Uh, Shih has never belonged to any blue party. Shih was the chairman of the DPP… lol. He might split the green vote (if he worked up that much influence).

He would only get about 1% of the vote. Just like Hsu Hsin-liang in 2000.

What are the odds that he will be around in 2008. He just announced that he has liver cancer - it’s quite deadly - will most likely kill him within the 6 months or so, if it’s true.

If I were Chen, I would be very worried, if that was true. If Shi Mingde is on the last weeks outside a hospital bed and a slow agonizing end, it might just make sense for him to go in a blaze of whatever - IE kill himself on September 15. Media and assorted oddballs are going to have a field day with it.