What do you think of Sushi Express? (爭鮮)

Yep, it’s my considered opinion Taiwan has the best sushi per buck anywhere in the world. It may not be the best in the world but it sure tastes good enough to me and one can afford to eat it almost anytime one likes, unlike the time I went to Japan and had to stare at it in the restaurant window.
As for sushi express, clean, relatively fresh and healthy food, fairly good menu, good pricing, free green tea…what more do you want?

Actually the price/good or price/service is Taiwan’s raison d’etre and can be applied to many things here.

Emily approves. And, at NT420 (US$13) for the three of us, I can’t complain.

Super cute!

I was once sick in 2006 and never went back.
The green vegetable, which is slimy and looks like a mini cucumber might have been the cause.
Taiwanese whom have any respect for sushi and sashimi do not frequent Sushi Express I was told.
Young kids do, like the little lady few posts back :laughing:

Emily is a doll! She looks perfect! And I agree with MT on Sushi Express. It’s good value, and no one is pretending it’s “high classy.”

The slimy veg, okra (ladies fingers), is one of those acquired textures. I think of West Africa whenever I eat it, but others might think of Gumbo in the South (US).

My kids both like S.E… It’s fun watchin’ the food come around, pilin’ up the plates, ordering what’s not on the carousel, and making tea for Dad.

My wife, who often eats at really good restaurants (at co. expense), would really rather not go.

At $128, their pork cutlet box lunch is about the best deal in taipei too.[/quote]

If I recall correctly from my single days, the place is called Train sushi:

http://www.taiwanfun.com/north/taipei/dining/0207/0207RrDahCheLuen.htm

and the sashmi, basic maki, and miso were all real good, and the place has a more homey feel to it. Been a while tho…

Yucky yuck. I tried this place a few weeks ago. Their sushi is waaay too sweet. They probably pour copious amounts of sugar in their rice instead of adding vinegar. I guess the Taiwanese like it since they love sweets oh so much.

Used to be an AWESOME place called New York Sushi a few alleys behind the white Sogo on Zhonghsiao, they made it the right way (the US gourmet way), like sushi rolls with yellowtail, tuna, salmon, and wasabi-infused roe, all rolled up - just real interesting combos, but even their basic fish was fresh.

Went outta business 1 year ago+

Anyone know any US-style sushi places, or modern sushi places (like Mitsui, but with meals less than the cost of my monthly rent…)?

‘… the right way (the US gourmet way) …’

:laughing: Isn’t that ‘the Japanese way’?

[quote=“ichbinjenny”]If you don’t know much about sushi/sashimi, Sushi Express is fine for you. But, if you have tasted great fish and actually care about what you eat, go to a place with a trained sushi chef. There is a great sushi place on An He Sect 2, across from the Welcome and next to the elementary school.

By the way, if the wasabi is neon green, it’s not wasabi. I don’t return to places that serve me neon green wasabi.

And yes, you can screw up sashimi.[/quote]

I don’t really understand this comment about wasabi. The wasabi roots I have seen (they are farmed in large quantities at Alishan) are bright green and when grated the stuff looks pretty much “neon green.” What is it you think you were served? What color do you think wasabi should be?

Actually, she’s right. It’s not the true stuff. The color, texture and flavor -prickly hot- is off. The real wasabi is a very valuable commodity, almost all local production gets exported to Japan. What we use here is a chemical mix, there was a warning in the news last week as to the latest findings on how bad it is for you, so you shouldn’t enjoy it too frequently.

[quote=“Buttercup”]’… the right way (the US gourmet way) …’

:laughing: Isn’t that ‘the Japanese way’?[/quote]

I originally intended it as sarcasm, but when I thought about it, I found that it’s actually true (to me): I’ve had sushi in many different countries, including twice in Japan, and everyone does it really mostly the same way, just with different qualities of fish (which is of course important). But the US takes it to a new level, and not just at a random restaurant here and there - a large % of sushi restaurants int he US nowadays offer creative inventions of fish, veggies, roe, and a dab or slathering of sauces. I’ve never seen anything like it outside of the US, except for that New York Sushi…

So yeah, the right way is the inventive US way in my book. :slight_smile:

Re: wasabi, I heard about a year ago from a Korean sushi chef that real wasabi is whitish, more expensive, and rare (in the west anyway), and the green stuff is cheaper and some other variant of horseradish, not “true” wasabi.

Sounds like someone should Ask Urodacus

I like to get the little dish with sauce in it and just put a small dab of wasabi in it and mix it up. I could never put a whole wad of it in there until it turns into a brownish paste.

I’ve only eaten it in Britain and Taiwan. Sorry, I have no experience of US sushi, although i’m sure it’s good. It just struck me as a funny comment. :laughing:

It’s always been utter cack in the Yook, although I’m sure there must be good places in London, perhaps.

Taiwan has some amazing places, though. Not S.E., though …

OK, but could you do this:

Oh, my hero! I love Jackass. I laughed and cried pure tears of joy, the first time I saw it. Brave new world!

Didn’t know that about wasabi, btw.

From wikipedia:

I’ve seen real wasabi once in Changhua. Getting seeds is almost impossible and I think that is what one the main impediments. I know they were conducting trials to start raising it in Oregon. I’d personally love to get some seed or a clone.

Has Sushi Express started serving beer again?

Sure. Non-alcohol Heineken. I shit you not.

1 Like