What do you think of Sushi Express? (爭鮮)

What do I think of Sushi Express? It’s industrial food. I’d prefer to eat at 7-11, which at least is more honest about such things.

There are way better chains out there now, notably Kura and Hama, both of which are actually run by Japanese.

Guy

1 Like

Say what?!

Okay let me check this

1 Like

yeah. My wife likes to take my children there.
I have so far stayed away with some offhand excuse.
Always worried about the quality of the food that would result in “shit you not” after eating.
Only go to top-end sushi bars with Japanese chefs. Do so less than once a year or even fewer times.

Shitti Express

If you ask it might come.

They gave me two choices, Heineken fake beer or Kirin.

Sushi Express Zhongxiao Restaurant

Just looking at this conjers into my mind…

Urchin uriine.

Did not expect it to taste like spicy guacamole. but then again why shouldn’t I expect it to taste like that.

We go to Kura when we want “real” Japanese sushi with Japanese beer!

Awesome place.

2 Likes

Well, how about that! The Tamsui one only has the Heineken.

I want to try but I dunno what I am doing. So I never tried it. How does it work and is it expensive?

Sushi express is super cheap. You sit down and the conveyor belt brings dishes past you and you take whatever you want to eat. Generally speaking it’s 30 NT dollars per dish unless you get a high-end black plate or double plate which would cost 60 to 80.

2 Likes

How many plates do people usually get? I am afraid I might rack up a high bill.

Kura is mediocre at best (but still a lot better than Express). God, :sushi: sucks so much here considering Taiwan’s proximity to Japan.

2 Likes

Ok…I’ll give you that. Kura…as close as it can get.

Well…of course. Japan…there is no substitute for their sushi, sashimi and women which are superior to all other places in the world!

Then of course talking Thai food in Taiwan…it sucks ass…truly ass. Garbage shit localized for shit Taiwanese taste. Crap crap crap. Same with the shit Vietnamese food here compared to Vietnam.

I grew up in Thailand, my Taiwanese wife took me to many supposedly high end Thai restaurants here and they were all ASS! Then, I sent her to Thailand for a holiday with her best friend and gave her a list written in Thai and told her to eat everything on my list. When she came back, she laughed and said that she totally understood why “Thai food” in Taiwan is shit shit shit crap crap crap garbage garbage. Except for the occasional place that is owned by a Thai mail order bride who opened a hole in the wall place and primarily serves Thai guest workers who would never stand for the ass Taiwanese try to pass off as Thai food. No…wait…I’m holding back and candy coating it…let me tell you how I really feel!

6 Likes

Dude…check your pockets and see how much moolah you’ve got and then don’t take more plates than you can afford. It’s simple. One plate is 30 NTD…except for the black plates or the double plates… My wife and I routinely wipe out 20 regular plates which turns into 600 NTD. I eat probably 15 of those plates and my skinny assed wife eats 5 and is full.

Go give it a try. It’s not great, but it’s not a steaming plate of dog shit, either. I lived in Japan for years, so I only believe real true Japanese sushi and sashimi come from Japan. But, Kura is a Japanese chain in Japan and it’s pretty great compared to Sushi Express, but again…go to Japan and see for yourself what it’s really all about. Korean food…go to Korea. There is no substitute for eating the real food in the original location. But, hey…we’re stuck in Taiwan so we have to make due…also some of us don’t have a shitload of money and flexibility to fly to Japan on a whim to get real Japanese food…yeah, I do, but most don’t. I love not having children!

Go try it and report back. I’d like to know what you think.

4 Likes

Japan remains almost completely closed to visitors, unless you are there on business or are willing to take a chaperoned group tour.

Under these circumstances, you can find me at Kura or at the Hama Sushi on Taipei City’s Zhongshan North Road. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

2 Likes

Which section? I don’t like to go too far into the bowels of The Great Satan known as downtown Taipei!

Maybe go with a friend for the first time.

But if you go alone then visit during an eating period like before or after lunch or dinner. This is because the sushi belt will have more options and be full and fresh. If you go outside of a meal time there could be few options and then you might need to order.

The only question they usually ask is how many people and would you like soup which is miso soup.

Just pull plates off the conveyor belt that look good when you’re interested in.

I average 10 plates two pieces on each plate so that’s what ~NT$300.

That same meal would be 3 or 4 or more times as much outside of Taiwan

3 Likes

The classy section!

Guy

2 Likes

Ok…I can go that far without stressing out too much. I’ll talk to the wife and convince her to make the trip and give it a go.

Thanks bro.

3 Likes

Hama Sushi might be a little complicated for a first-timer going alone. I even forget the system sometimes.

2 Likes