What do you want your country to have that's like Taiwan, or vice versa?

Yeah! It’s getting better and better! :smiley:

That’s interesting. In terms of Taiwanese society, how would that manifest specifically?

2 Likes

People falsely self identifying as indigenous for the priveleges of jobs and scholarships?

1 Like

That might happen in Taiwan, I know there are many voices promoting indigenous rights and related programs. Family histories can often be murky. I suspect @Gain means something more like promoting indigenous rights though!

1 Like

A clean and safe subway system like Taipei’s would be nice.

5 Likes

Less discrimination toward people from SE Asia, India, and Africa would be nice.

On the plus side, treatment of the LGBTQ population is ahead of the curve for Asia.

More progressive cannabis policy would also be nice. It’s legal in Thailand now.

4 Likes

USA is closer to the medium.

Good point. I forgot that when we allowed imported pork with the same chemicals local farmers use to allow weapons sales here to protect from our opressors, the right wing of Taiwan tried to sabotage the left and literally acted treasonous. that was pretty wild, even for the kmt!

USA is off the charts when it comes to the “national pride” thing. Sorry!

And this is coming in way late, but your hope that Taiwan gets more cars and more open space is contradictory, as the more of those massive metal machines we have around the less space we’ll have for, you know, actual people.

So hard pass on the “more cars” suggestion too.

Guy

2 Likes

Democracy through the barrel of a gun? Might is right?

Gunboat diplomacy is part of the same thread, with some prominent countries known for eschewing diplomacy in favour of violence… an understandable outcome considering their being born out of violence.

1 Like

Right to bear arms is good for the USA, not good for Taiwan.

I doubt its even good for the US, though it seems to enjoy wide support. Then again, sometimes truth can be a matter of consensus.

9 Likes

The amount of space any one place can have is fixed.

That’s just a wish list.

America was founded on the idea of limiting the government’s power. Guns provide a check against tyranny.

Ostensibly. However, I wonder whether ‘governance’ equates ‘tyranny’?

2 Likes

For DC: a subway system with escalators that work.

For NYC: a subway system that doesn’t have huge rats the size of house cats.

2 Likes

Too much of it.

It’s also tied to urban design and planning.

Example: In Taipei City, we have a number of very wide traffic aerteries such as Xinsheng South Road. Over the years, the city government has rearraged the space to massively widen the sidewalks and add a bike lane on the west side of the street. On the east side of the street, the university has taken down a wall, relandscaped the edges, and opened up a waterway to signal the historic use of this “road” during the Japanese colonial era. It is now a spacious and comfortable place to hang out, and this was done NOT by adding “more cars” but precisely the opposite—taking away space from cars to make things better for bikes and people.

Guy

2 Likes

The purpose of the second amendment was not to fight against one’s own government as a “check against tyranny”. It was to prevent the establishment of a permanent standing army and thus a separate elite military class, like the knights in Europe, that could eventually create a class system to oppress people. That is the meaning of the well regulated militia, or in other words a national guard. The right is to allow everyone the ability to bear arms in defense of the country, not against their own government. If there is any doubt that the founders discouraged rebellion, you can see how the first rebels against the newly formed US government were treated.

After, during the war of 1812 the US quickly figured out that a permanent standing army was necessary against invasion.

1 Like