What English dialects or accents do you have problems understanding?

So as the title says. It would be interesting to know which one you speak.

Thanks!

Irish
Scottish
Aussie
and on some occasions, Texans…and some new yorkers(maybe? not sure) who speak at the speed of light.

And you’re from…? Or your English is…?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73uATsa8y5Y

2 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QCgqQdmr0M

3 Likes

I use Canadian English.

Though I’m starting to pick up on Taiwanese English.

1 Like

I like this accent (mine is probably neutral American- grew up in midwest but also some years in California):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-po3kpZ9po

1 Like

New Zealanders often fail to enunciate and their vowel sounds are bizarre.

breachfast. amazing

1 Like

me undies
me jocks

lol. the gal glad he managed to put his “pants” on. Girls in studio definitely want to live next to Daniel, perhaps because he never wears clothes.

I like the “you look after your mates and your mates will always look after you” bit

When I went to Australia I had a rough time in Victoria, there were times when I couldn’t understand what people were talking about. I still have PTSD from a time when a guy meant:“Trees” but his pronunciation was:“Trays” and I had no idea about what he was trying to say. It took me a bit to get used to it but eventually things started to make sense. In South Australia I had a much easier time, I lived there almost two years and never had major issues.

I’ve spent some time in Dublin studying English and I found their accent to be ok. I even went to some smaller towns full of constantly-drunk old guys and we were chatting between a pint and the other, no language issue.

I once met a Scottish guy and I couldn’t understand 80%+ of what he was saying. I’d be curious to have a trip to Scotland to find out if I met the person with the thickest accent ever of if that’s the norm. When I watch Trainspotting I often do a double take on some sentences.

I always found weird and funny how some people from UK or England or somewhere there, and some Aussies pronounce “day” as you and me pronounce “die”. Ozzy Osborne does it too!

Worst accent ever

you must not like the funny quips of The Beatles then

I’m American, from California. I have a difficult time understanding a Scottish accent (don’t know if there’s more than one).

I remember when the movie The Full Monty came out on DVD. I excitedly rented it, but could barely understand a word of it! I had to turn on the subtitles. I don’t know which type of English accent that was but it was like a foreign language to me.

As for American accents, I can easily understand all of them, but I don’t like to listen to a Boston accent at all. Sorry to any Bostonians out there; I’m sure you’re wonderful people.

Ere! I refuse to take a blind bit of notice of that comment. As far as I’m concerned, the accent is boss! So chuffed every time I hear it.

1 Like

I generally don’t have a problem understanding any accents . Some very regional Scottish would take a bit of time to learn the lingo that’s all. Also same for lingo in Oz. Accents are fun.
The issue a lot of people encounter is not the accents but the local lingo and phrases.

She’ll be alright mate?
What about ya?
What’s the story Rory ?
The bleeding head on your man…
Down the country
D’ye ken? ( This one had me really stumped 1st time I heard it :))

These are all very common phrases, that you might Not understand them has nothing to do with the accent IMHO.

There are a few simply tricks to accents. Americans tend to enunciate vowels through their nose, so the lower Up sound (almost like Up) we would make in Ireland is raised a tone higher for Americans to say Up . They also speak noticeably slowly. Canadians even slower. Once I figured that out it was plain sailing communicating .

1 Like

American myself. I have trouble with Indian subcontinent accents if they’re fast. I was doing a conference on taxation one time and we had six booths going with different languages. An Indian speaker came to the mike and started with his spiel, and suddenly all six booths went totally silent. Not one of twelve interpreters could understand the guy’s English. Meanwhile the poor tech is climbing up and down the side of the booth setup trying to figure out which wire (he assumed) had come loose silencing the output for all six languages.

6 Likes

wow… I only get 1 out of every 3 sentences…