What game are you playing?

I bought a switch for my birthday. Its the first game console I’ve played with since the 70’s Atari. Because I’ve got a family I wanted some 4 player games, so I got Rayman Legends, Mario Kart 8, and Mario Superstars.

For myself I got Links Awakening. I recently also purchased Immortals: Fenyx Rising (which I’m enjoying very much, games have come a long way).

Any other recommendations for other 4 player games that a family may enjoy together.

OH…i also got Rogue Warriors (which allows up to 4 players). We all are having a blast playing that one.

Cheers.

1 Like

Baldur’s Gate 3 anyone?

1 Like

Just started last night, looks very good so far. I couldn’t get into Divinity at all, this is more enjoyable somehow.

1 Like

Overcooked (even features pizza occasionally)

3 Likes

Been playing The Witcher 3 for about 30-40 hours now and given up. What a heap of shit. I’ve felt frustrated and even a little depressed since I started it. Very overrated piece of shit.

Going back to Neverball!

fromsoft fans hell yeah. are you playing solo or with others? i’ve hundreds of hours on pc. also found a cool mod where everyone can ride torrent together in the field and play seamlessly through the entire game!

you’ve described my exact experience with totk. this is coming from someone who’s grown up on zelda and spent 185 hours in botw. after 30 some hours i just realized i was getting decision fatigue, noticing copy-pasted quests every 100 meters (signs and koroks), and finding an almost ubisoft-level of fetch quests that kept expanding with every step. i liked the additions of the sky islands and depths but really just felt like would a good dlc could have done to botw. there’s not a lot of motivation to explore the same map, do the same main quest where the sage tells you the same story over and over again in unskippable cutscenes.

i’m so happy for the people who love it. i preordered it and pre-downloaded the game. i don’t see myself coming back to it though.

1 Like

annnnyway i came here to say is anyone playing baulder’s gate 3? i’ve played DnD in the past and loved it, but i didn’t expect to be hooked like i have been by this utter masterpiece.

Wow yeah my thoughts pretty much exactly. I was initially happy with TotK, but the novelty/gimmick wore off really fast for me. I am jealous of those who seemingly did not have this issue.

I also hated how I kept obsessing about building things, to the point I would not progress in any other way. Huge time sink that I often regretted, looking back now.

I felt like totk was half-game, half-physics simulator, and the game part was not at all something innovative - more like a copy-paste of already conceived ideas/botw bolted on to the physics-simulator

1 Like

Super Mario Bros. Wonder is going to be perfect for your family I think - it is just not out yet. October 20th.

the recycled map i think lent to this feeling as well. it seemed like the “master quest version” of botw. best case scenario is someone who has never played breath of the wild gets to play totk instead. the systems are wild, the little puzzles vary between obvious to downright infuriating. the mechanics are wonky as hell as you mentioned but ppl persevere.

it’s a fine game. i haven’t played armored core yet and i’m certain i’ll prefer it to this one. fromsoft also isn’t trying to sue anyone over basic game mechanics:

1 Like

Agreed, ugh, I still hate how I paid full price for that. Yeah, if someone hasn’t played BotW before, muuuuch better/more novel exprerience.

Yeah I think that’s what I realized regarding becoming quickly fatigued with TotK. I don’t play games to “persevere”, I play games to enjoy them. Some mental stimulation is fine, but just…not gimmicky physics/engineering being the overwhelmingly dominant feature. Really felt like work after a bit.

Ugh, I read about the patents a while back. I don’t like that direction. Seems really greedy and looks like they are trying to stifle innovation/collective evolution in the industry. Nintendo already is doing so well, no need to look like a litigious asshole in the process.

1 Like

My own game, I’m doing solo. But like I said I usually have summons on, and read or whatever while I wait to get dragged into someone else’s game. I’m close to finishing Crumbling Farum Azula. I just need to face off against Alexander and then do the last couple of bosses. I also need to complete Consecrated Snowfields and get into the Haligtree. And also complete the obligatory FromSoft sewer level. The few times I’ve tried it, I’ve been rekked by the imps, or just fallen off the pipes.

But this past weekend I gave Returnal a proper go. Oblique, mysterious, and impenetrable for the first few cycles, but in between all the harsh room configurations and devilish enemy configurations which would end the run in minutes, things just suddenly clicked, and I’m utterly hooked.

I have always been a huge fan of Housemarque’s shooters, and the way they’ve stirred their trademark elements like the dodge, the alt-fire, some of the best feeling movement in gaming etc. in with exploration and a compelling (but not exactly entirely original) narrative, and some of the best presentation in recent years (I’m always a sucker for games which can convey loneliness, despair, and futility - Dead Space is the crown jewel in this regard; the claustrophobia, the delightful sound design, the proximity of the camera to the player… chef’s kiss) make it all the more infuriating that so much of the discussion surrounding the game is about how hard it is.

1 Like

not to burst your bubble but they’ve been hawkishly litigious for well over a decade already.

i’m sure you already know this tho.

also they never put their core IP on sale - ever. that’s why my switch is bought second hand and when i didn’t live in Taiwan at least, i bought all my games physical second hand as well.

i’m excited about mario wonder though. maybe i can jailbreak my switch or something

1 Like

my same experience with returnal. it sucked until it didn’t.

if you get a kick out of souls games, shooters, and Returnal, i highly recommend remnant 2.

not my game of the year but it is so damn good.

Famously, Warner did that with the nemesis system in the Shadow of… games. A real pity, because the emergent gameplay that came from that was the most compelling part of those games, and it’s going to be a while before another developer can come up with a similar system that doesn’t infringe on it.

Any other fans of emergent games? Rimworld and Dearf Fortress are two standard bearers, which you either bounce hard off of, or get consumed by.

1 Like

gaming quote of the year. there have been heaps of bangers, but as everyone knows- FUN RULES

1 Like

Cool, thanks. I’ll look for it then.

1 Like

It’s really good. I’m usually not hooked by this style of dungeon crawler/dnd whatever you wanna call it. Mainly because I really really like min maxing and the dices mess me up. Still really enjoyable but it’s not like I’m counting down to when I can go back to it.

1 Like

i think this is the biggest hurdle for a lot of people. me too. i’m trusting Larian on this one when they told us to just trust the dice. the amount of actual game they’ve put before us is psychopathic. i have 75 in-game hrs according to steam and i’ve yet to see beyond act 1.

there are hundreds of ways to play with thousands of endings. have fun is the most important part as far as i can tell.

1 Like