What goes through the mind of the average Taiwanese people when seeing a foreigner?

Hello,
I am genuinely interested to hear opinions, especially from Taiwanese people themselves, if there are a few on this forum.

Last year I started the following thread: How did you deal with people looking at you all the time? The situation is clearly not getting any better, I find myself more and more annoyed and I clearly don’t like it, but at the same time I feel powerless.
So the question is in the title, what goes through the mind of the average Taiwanese people when seeing a foreigner?

As a Westerner, I know I will never understand, but I can still give it a try.
Thanks for any constructive reply.

Not much really, in Taipei anyway. A lot of people will fear that they might have to speak English to you–a terrifying prospect. If you are able to put them at ease about that, all should be well.

3 Likes

If I look, I’m wondering where they’re from or if it’s one of you.

1 Like

if you are in an area with lots of foreigners, no one thinks anything. if you are like out in the boonies, then ppl will generally think ‘what is that person doing here?’.

1 Like

For some people, especially children, you’re just a novelty. Something different and perhaps interesting to look at. No big deal. I mean, Taiwan can be a bit of a boring place, would you begrudge them a moment’s entertainment?

As for me, sometimes I am simply alarmed by your hideous visage or relative…largeness.

How’s that? Does that make you feel any better?

3 Likes

To be fair, neither @Andrew0409 nor @Hanna are “average Taiwanese people.” Do any average Taiwanese people even post on Forumosa? By definition, I’d say no.

1 Like

There’s @Gain

OP, take your question to PTT!

And kindly report back. I’d love to see how it all goes down.

1 Like

I’d say @Gain is far from average. Your average Taiwanese isn’t fluent in English and pursuing a law career in England.

1 Like

Reminds me of that old joke
What’s the last thing that goes through a bug’s mind when it hits the windshield of a car?

1 Like

MeiGuo ren!

2 Likes

5mm of safety plate glass?

Point taken

To be fair, I’m also kind of being a dick.

Actually, nowadays I look for the same reasons @Andrew0409 does. Just curious whether that white fella over there might be a Forumosan.

I also think it holds true for all of us who have lived here for a while that Taiwan isn’t always the most exciting place, so seeing a foreign face kind of breaks up the monotony a bit.

This is probably the closest answer so far. Although in my case, when I tell people I’m American, the response is almost always, “But you’re not an authentic American, right?” For some reason, everybody seems to think I’m Italian.

OK, I take back my previous statement. :sunglasses:

His ass

3 Likes

If it’s a girl it might because they have a butt that’s not flat. There’s not much of that in Taiwan to enjoy

2 Likes

I actually think Taiwan doesn’t do too bad butt-wise. Sure, it’s not Nigeria, but it’s a hell of a lot better than Japan.

1 Like

You was my English teacher!

Quick, say something in English!