What has Trump done for Hong Kong? Also, what has he done for Taiwan?

As it has with Tsai? As it has with all the country’s the CCP are currently making threats against?

That’s a very naive statement.

3 Likes

Maybe you just don’t understand Taiwanese culture?

As i have said several times, the CCP is treating a number of countries the same way right now. with finesse or not. same result.

5 Likes

My impression is that the Americans who voted for Trump tend to care more about foreign policy than those who voted for Biden. And I say that as someone who doesn’t like either one of these candidates.

I do think the idea of blaming Trump for China’s increasingly bad behavior is silly. China is behaving badly because China is a bad actor.

7 Likes

Exactly this. Taiwanese are largely politically illiterate so do not think that far.

Your impression is so fucken dead wrong LOL. Trump supports are populists with America interest first and for most…they give zero damn about anyone but America…except of course you give them money. Trump is the most consistent president in the history of America. He only cares about what he can get out of you…period.

1 Like

It’s not really Trump but there are real China Hawks in his administration. The trade war with China was one of only good things he has done

6 Likes

I do. We had a brotherly hug after arguing and knocking heads for years and finally meeting in person. @urodacus is one of the good guys, he feels things have gone south over the past 4 years, there is evidence of that. I might counter that, but that’s not the point of the post.

1 Like

Why do taiwanese and hkers like trump.so much? Because no one else has told the CCP to fuck off.

Everything else is garnish.

I loath trump in general, but have some respect as dealing with Xi and the ccp is going to cost some sweat and blood. they are far too psychotic and sellfish to deal with with finesse… give them an inch, theyll take an island.

I dont see Guatemalas navy or the vaticans troops putting them in place, so of course it will be the US. Countries and regions like Canada and the EU are so comlletely hyporcritical when it comes to China, they dont dare step out of line. Trump is spearheading something…and ithers are following. Hopefully it continues when.he loses the election and steps down, but this is an area i admittedly worry about with democrats. And i am pretty liberal.

6 Likes

And my 401k is evidence of another perspective. We don’t elect idiots here. Neophytes maybe, but idiots? Yer dreaming.

You-Don’t-elect-idiots?

Are you talking about the USA?

You have a candidate that is a hair breath away from being President, who likely can’t tie his own shoe laces, remember he day of the week or what state he is in.

You-Don’t-elect-idiots? REALLY?

1 Like

But if he used Hunter to take in foreign cash, he’s only half an idiot.
He does a good job listening to his handlers too.

1 Like

I’ve been keeping my mouth shut the last few days because I realized that a lot of the Taiwanese people that I am surrounded by are huge Trump supporters. If they were all “single issue voters” (thank gods none of them are US citizens) their view of “how good” Trump is for Taiwan comes down to what he’s done militarily for Taiwan.

As someone whose mother asks at least once a call what my escape plan is for “when China attacks” (this was never an issue pre Jan 2017), I’d say this is a funny joke.

The Trump administration has been selling better military stuff to Taiwan for jacked-up prices than previous American presidents. But we’re missing something about Taiwan relying on Trump: Trump believes and talks nonstop about how every alliance that the US ever made out of its OWN PERSONAL INTEREST is a “very bad deal”. He’s constantly trying to pull US troops out of countries that are our allies because we made friends with them so that we could park our troops there and also have their support in the case of an attack. He wanted the US military out of Germany because “they weren’t paying us enough” for god’s sake! But, somehow, Taiwanese Trump supporters think that Trump will make sure Taiwan, not even a country by US definition, will somehow be protected because “Trump likes Taiwan”? The Taiwanese seem quite convinced that Trump is doing a better job of “standing up to China” than presidents before him. I’m pretty sure they just had the sense to know that you should never tickle a sleeping dragon.

Reality check: The US has military in Korea, Japan, and Guam. No Commander in Chief, no matter how much they support Taiwan’s independence or not, has or ever will see Taiwan as anything more than a crucial and necessary location for both trade/commerce and in the case of war. You lose control of Taiwan’s air and sea space to China and you lose a :poop:load of control of the Pacific. It would be a strategically stupid thing not to protect Taiwan for US interests. But, sorry Taiwan, the people in the country and the politics of this island nation could not be lower down on the list of reasons for that protection. On the plus, America is not going to let Taiwan be taken over.

But remember, no matter who’s president, it’s because the US wants to control the entire Pacific, not because anyone cares about Taiwan and the people here. Welcome to politics, my interests come first.

11 Likes

No. I trust the process. Some people misjudge poor public political speakers on a national level as stupid. So, no. I’ve always hated that the left categorizes GOP POTUSes as dumb, WBush and now Trump…it’s insulting. I don’t buy it…never have.

Hint: foreign policy doesn’t mean that you ignore your own interests.

Trump’s foreign policy was based on the concept of “America first”. The premise was that establishment politicians had sold America out and failed to stand up to countries like China, which have been taking advantage of the US.

Nobody has to agree with his platform, but the fact that Trump made changing the US relationship to the rest of the world a centerpiece of his platform is a fact.

3 Likes

Perhaps you misunderstand what people mean by intelligence. In other words, intelligence that is relevant for the job. I’m sure Trump is skilled and intelligent at marketing and branding, but basic geography, US history, the constitution…I mean come on it’s plain as day.

4 Likes

Trump is a top level sales person and that’s it. He is obviously very intelligent in those areas , in others he is a fool

I don’t think he’s even that good a salesperson. He does have “you can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time” down pat though. But most politicians in Washington do. It’s a prerequisite for getting to Washington.

2 Likes

Amen. Give them an inch they’ll take your whole God damn country and re-educate you in the process.

Trump approved all those weapons sales to Taiwan, desperately needed, and also sent high level officials multiple times to Taiwan .

We have to take what we can get right now, like it or not the US is the only thing holding back China hegemony around here.

6 Likes

I see what you mean.

Quick thought experiment: Do you not think that under a TPP-friendly (again, a BRI counterinitiative that Trump axed) HRC administration, the same would not have happened? The CCP has really become markedly more aggressive and imperialistic over the past few years. I imagine arms sales and visits from high levels would have still taken place…

Regardless of who is in office, both US and Japan have a great interest in making sure China does not set up shop in Taiwan.

Trump and his admin have really weakened the pre-existing bonds between the US and most of its allies, and their isolationist foreign policy has greatly diminished US soft power projection overall. You could argue that because of that, the CCP has been given opportunity to chip away at market share that has long been inaccessible, no?