What is child abuse?

Haha it does sound like I’m just doing this more my amusement, doesn’t it?
but no, I really DO believe what I’m writing here…
I believe that ultimately a parent will be judged by his parenting by what kind of person his child grows up to be.
Sometimes a child will react well to your positive reinforcement and baby pampering.
Sometimes a child will react well to a good old fashioned whooping.
What I’m saying is that maybe taking a switch to a kid and making sure he knows he did something wrong isnt necessarily wrong.
If thats the way a child has to learn, then thats what it takes.
I believe AP when he said he was punishing his child “out of love”. I got the switch, the yard stick, the belt, the backhand when I was younger. I knew my dad did it out of love and was just teaching me a lesson. Don’t talk back. Don’t steal. Don’t etc…

[quote=“Ermintrude”]

Then what do you mean by a loss of something he holds dear?
I would imagine the only things a child holds dear are materialistic, toys, video games, etc…
I grew up in a household where physical punishment seemed to work for me and my brother, so I’m just curious to see the other side.

Do you guys really TRULY believe in all this? Or are you just so fixed on the idea that putting your hands on a child is “child abuse” and you will stay as far away from that as possible, even to the detriment of the child when he grows up with absolutely no discipline in his life.

Seems like Lefty is disappointed that there might be better parenting techniques than unleashing a can of whoop ass on his child. I’m sorry Lefty, much as you might have been looking forward to slapping a 4 year around, it is actually not only quite unnecessary, but very harmful to the child.

I have a neighbor who can be physically and verbally abusive to his daughter, going around and saying how much he hates her. Everyone has been trying to get him to mellow out, you know she actually is a good kid. But, no surprise shes been kicked out of at least one school, assaulted other kids, shes less than 10 years old. I think she will turn out fine, no thanks to her asshole of a father who thought hitting a kid was the way to go.

Please Mick…
Theres a difference between “slapping a 4 year old around” and putting the 4 year old on your lap and giving the rear end a few whacks. Please don’t think I’m advocating “slapping children around” because that not what I’m saying. So if you don’t “beat” your kid. And you can’t “yell” or raise your voice at your kid…

If it’s not satisfying his own ego, what else is it?

As numerous people have pointed out, we know that this kind of punishment does not benefit the child, and only succeeds in harming them. We know it’s not effective, and that there are much better and more effective ways to teach your child. Yet knowing all that, this animal still chose to attack and abuse his child even though it’s the least effective way of correcting behavior.

Its 2014, there is no need to beat your kids, it is neanderthal behavior.

The guy has I think 7 kids if he wanted to ‘teach his kid a lesson’ he should actually raise his fucking kids, and stop acting like he did something noble.

This story is disgusting and I can no longer watch or respect this man.

You mean leftywang?

Youre assuming its satisfying his own ego now…
Like he said. He was doing it out of love.
So I bring up the fact that the majority of households here in Taiwan use physical punishment on their children.
Are they all child abusers?

Yes.

1 Like

Many Taiwanese parents end up hurting seriously the children with their spanking. Have you seen the news about the parents burning the babies, punching and pushing them? The kids end up in the Emergence ward and then the parents concoct some lame reasons for the kid’s lesions, brain swelling and broken limbs. Every day you see something like that in the TV news.
A couple of years ago, a teenager boy grabbed the cleaver and cut off his dad’s hands because he was trying to put a stop on these daily ministrations of punishments.

[quote=“robert the bruce”][quote=“Leftywang81”][quote=“cfimages”][quote=“Leftywang81”][quote=“cfimages”][quote=“Leftywang81”][quote=“cfimages”]
So I bring up the fact that the majority of households here in Taiwan use physical punishment on their children.
Are they all child abusers?[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

Many taiwanese parents end up hurting seriously the children with their spanking. Have you seen the news about the parents burning the babies, punching and pushing them? The kids end up in the Emergence ward and then the parents concoct some lame reasons for the kid’s lesions, brain swelling and broken limbs. Every day you see something like that in the TV news.
A couple of years ago, a teenager boy grabbed the cleaver and cut off his dad’s hands because he was trying to put a stop on these daily ministrations of punishments.[/quote]

Cmon now…
Burning and punching is extreme. We can all agree that burning and punching with close fists would be considered child abuse.
When I’m talking about physical punishment, I’m talking about taking a cane and whacking the kid’s behind. whacking a kid’s hand for trying to steal. Spanking. Telling a child to close his eyes and slapping the child on the cheek. No one is talking about taking a lighter and burning a child or taking a knife and cutting off his hand for stealing…

You’re talking about child abuse.

1 Like

Indeed. And (regularly) using severe physical punishment is a guaranteed way to produce a flawed human being. You are living proof: you are unable to reason logically on several subjects because you’ve had rightness and wrongness beaten into you. Certain things are axiomatic because you were punished for not believing them.

You can believe what you like, but it doesn’t alter the reality: the subject has been studied extensively by lots of smart people for 50 years or so, and the results are 100% clear: spanking is at best pointless, and at worst harmful. There is a known recipe for producing nutcases: be inconsistent with your parenting. One way to do this is to beat the shit out of your child and then tell him/her you’re only doing it out of love. That’s a pretty good “does not compute” situation, and the kid grows up with all sorts of problems. At best, the child has to resolve an obvious contradiction in the best way he can. In your case, it’s by rationalising a beating as acceptable.

[quote]Sometimes a child will react well to your positive reinforcement and baby pampering.
Sometimes a child will react well to a good old fashioned whooping.
What I’m saying is that maybe taking a switch to a kid and making sure he knows he did something wrong isnt necessarily wrong.
If thats the way a child has to learn, then thats what it takes.[/quote]
Ah slap mah bitch around some when she don’t do what she told. Dat bitch has to learn.

Look, grown men don’t hit little children for the exact same reason they don’t hit women: because they just don’t. There are no ifs, buts or exceptions. Any culture that thinks that routine violence towards vulnerable people is OK is backward and faulty. There is no “debate”.

Now, why does that not surprise me? If you hit an adult with a stick or a belt, you will be arrested and fined. If you do the same thing to a random kid in the street, you will go to jail: we consider all crimes against children to be more heinous because (a) the child cannot defend himself against a much larger adult and (b) the child may be unable (intellectually) to understand why the adult’s action is wrong, especially if the adult tells him it’s OK. The latter is of course especially true for sexual assault - and we don’t make excuses for parents there, do we?

I can remember being hit only once as a kid. I was maybe 9 or 10. It was during lunchtime and I made some smartass remark about one of the lunch ladies (who was, as I recall, a miserable old bint who hated kids). The headmaster happened to be nearby, heard what I said, hauled me out of my seat and hit me. It hurt. No adult - including my parents - had ever hit me that way. And it taught me a lesson. The lesson was this: some adults are assholes who will hit small children for no good reason, and formal education is mainly concerned with social compliance, not knowledge.

So, yeah, perhaps spanking does have some value.

As for talking back and stealing: what’s wrong with talking back? If the adult does not have an adequate answer for a child’s retort, then he’s either lazy or an idiot. Stealing: I’ve noticed some kids go through a phase of stealing or shoplifting and grow out of it. If a kid is caught, an expression of shame and disapproval from the parent, and a serious sit-down explanation, would stop the behaviour instantly - but only if the child respects and loves the parent. Even another adult (the shopkeeper, say) might get the same result if the kid is basically well-adjusted. An abusive parent is unlikely to have that level of respect and love, and an abused child will be unable to respond to a rational explanation about stealing.

Leftywang81 is asking a good question, what DO you practically do if your child is being abusive and you will not consider a swift wallop as a useful tool? Why not answer his Q instead of levelling more and more ridiculous things at him. “You agree with spanking a child, well I saw a man fuck a tree and then punch the tree. I guess you are a tree fucker!”

I have been watching how people respond to Mr Wang this last week. It is interesting how many folks respond to him in an emotional rather than logical way. There is certainly an us VS him attitude, which is ironic when he is being asked to grow up etc. I suppose people always like bonding opportunities. And he has certainly had many verbal slaps. So should we be passive aggressive with insolent children? Many here use it as an adult form of behaviour suppression. :laughing: Snark-asm.

Sadly I know how this ends. Lefty will be pushed and pushed until he grows fed up and leaves. 2 days later we are back asking where we can find sour cream and wondering what happened to that Leftywang chap. Mark it down.

Personally I’m trying to give him an evidence-based explanation. Several other people did, too.

Abusive children almost always have abusive or inconsistent parents. A kid who is actually psychologically disturbed is a whole different level of problem, and it’s sure as hell not going to be fixed with a swift wallop. If, despite your best intentions, you find out that (say) your kid is a bully, I’d say your best bet would be to talk to the kids being bullied and tell them that, next time your kid hits them, to simply hit him back. Direct consequences of inappropriate action, and all’s fair: no adults hitting kids.

Yes, some kids are little shits. All kids can be little shits sometimes. I completely agree that the parent needs to shape the kid’s behaviour in the proper direction. But the alternative to a swift wallop is not necessarily being passive-aggressive. It’s possible to be assertive about what you want, and clear about what will happen in the case of non-compliance, without hitting anybody. Of course it requires a bit of inventiveness, but I don’t think “parenting is just too difficult” is a valid excuse for hitting your kids.

Incidentally, anyone noticed those parents who endlessly - I don’t know if we have an English word for it, in Chinese it’s 弄 - their kids? They’re continually poking, slapping, or flicking them. Every single move the kid makes, it’s “don’t do that!” [slap]. It can be playing with a stone or their shoelaces, burbling to themselves, counting their toes … absolutely anything, the kid gets “punished” for it. God knows what’s going on in the parent’s head. Not a lot, I assume.

I’d say young leftywang is showing plenty of sand, I don’t see him cracking and turning tail any time soon.

Anyways, I got his back, he’s my new little buddy. :thumbsup:

Pretty sure this qualifies

A true classic. How could it be wrong?

Haha nah I’m here to make friends or anything.
I’m always down for a healthy, heated discussion. And like I mentioned before, it makes my days go by so much faster.
Like all the discussions i’ve brought up about Taiwanese traditions, Homosexuality, Child abuse…etc
Instead of just viewing these topics from my own narrow-minded view, I like to try to put my feet in someone else’s shoe and see it from their point of view.
As for child abuse, I don’t even believe I mentioned anything about advocating physical harm to a child as punishment. I only stated AP’s situation and then threw out some questions, and many of you quickly assumed I was for physical punishment. But to clear that up, Yes you’re right, I don’t see anything wrong in a good old fashioned whooping to a certain degree. I just found it interesting everyone just assumed I was.

Tastes like chicken?

Doesn’t that first character means ‘crippled’ or ‘lame’? (I know the second is ‘child’). I suppose those ones are easier to catch.