What is ethnicity?

Irish but he is new Irish with African ethnicity. He didn’t suddenly become ethnic Irish !

1 Like

LOL :rofl:
New Irish!

Yeah new Irish why not. :sunglasses:
My Irish ethnicity is very clear, genetically we can be pinpointed within a few hundred meters of the ancestral village. There are strong genetic ethnic links in Ireland to geographical area.

Average UK resident is 36.94% British, 21.59% Irish and 19.91% Western European (French/German)

https://www.ancestry.com/corporate/international/press-releases/DNA-of-the-nation-revealedand-were-not-as-British-as-we-think

1 Like

I’m glad I’m a beagle.

Edit: Fuck! I think that makes me British by origin!

3 Likes

Ok so Mr Nigerian is New Irish but not ethnic Irish. Lets say he continued breeding with only other new Irish and his descendants do then how long until new New Irish becomes Irish Irish.

The Irish passport-holding nephew of a recently deceased Cabinet member who left an inheritance of billions of dollars that he would be happy to share with you, my good friend?

6 Likes

You said English in the post I replied to not UK. What is English ?
An ethnic group, or a nationality or a BBC paying …

`

Read the link.

What’s an “ethic” group>

Ethic?
Did you read my link it is very different ? I would still like to know what is English ? Do they mean residing in the UK for 3 months ? British passport = English ?

Never mind

yes, they are very British and great hounds. Not dogs but hounds :wink:

3 months residing in England does not make you English. There is a technical side to nationality and an ethnic one. If a Taiwanese married an Englishman and lived in England 3 or 4 years they could be naturalized and claim an English passport. But to all who meet her she would still be seen as Taiwanese. Despite officially being English.

It would take a long time of her living there to be considered English. It would be easier for her children as they can claim some heritage on their fathers side.

I have lived in both England and Ireland and I’ve met Africans with no English or Irish parents who have had strong local accents. At home they’d speak their mothers and fathers language and practice their parents customs and traditions. But they can switch at moments notice. The child can make a claim to feel English or Irish and that is fine. Ethnically speaking he would acknowledge he is African.

It’s a more recent social change in Ireland that people are getting their heads around. I still remember my high school teacher telling me how he had never seen a black person before he left Ireland for England in the 80s. So Irish people, who genetically speaking really only have mixed with Vikings (and that was mostly in the eastern part of Ireland ) and English really can make a claim as to what it is to be Irish. It’s not a very diverse gene pool. I could go to an airport and pinpoint an Irish person out of 20 lined up. We have a certain look about us. It’s not like finding an American as that is such a mixed pool of people youd never know for sure

I bet you couldn’t pin point me.

Anyone seen that episode of Derry Girls with the Chinese Irish girl who’s a complete psycho? Class.

Irish is both an ethnicity and a nationality.

I’d call a Nigerian holding an Irish passport an Irish citizen. I’d have to guess his ethnicity. Is he Igbo, Yoruba, something else? Help me out here. . .

What do you call someone of Irish descent but born into citizenship of another country - whether New Zealand or Nigeria?

I’m not sure why people get so obtuse about this stuff.

1 Like

Did I say I could ?

Help me out here are you talking about Norman Irish, Celtic Irish, Scot’s Irish, Anglo Irish , …

You couldn’t and you could not pick out the Irish people in a line up of white Scots, Welsh and English either.

A somewhat valid point. That said, there is a distinct Irish ethnicity.

Pretty sure the existence of this distinct Irish ethnicity is recognized by both Irish and UK census forms.

I’m not aware of any distinct Nigerian ethnicity. Nigeria has multiple ethnic groups, each with distinct languages and traditions.

Ireland has historically had a high degree of ethnically homogeneity, resulting in a strong correlation between Irish nationality ad Irish ethnicity. This isn’t the case in Nigeria.

Again, this is basic stuff.