What is ethnicity?

Didn’t the Vikings control what is now eastern Ireland for quite some time? Possible red hair source?

1 Like

The vikings had large settlements in Normandy too. Lots of red heads there too.

1 Like

That’s my ancestry, but no gingers in my family…that I know of.

Again, did I claim I could? You seem to be arguing with yourself.

1 Like

Nobody.

What’s that “black Irish” thing all about?

This

or, alternatively

3 Likes

There’s a lot of Scottish ancestry in Ireland.

2 Likes

It’s the same people in many cases. Dal Riada. Then the planters in NI and Irish emigration to Scotland.

1 Like

I’d heard of that empire, but you enthused me to read up on it again. Cheers!

Here yiz go. This is class.

2 Likes

Half the dark-haired Irish I have met claim Spanish ancestry from shipwrecked sailors of the Armada.

1 Like

I recon I could, but… ha ha, dont know if yardman could. accents, dress, haircuts, style of walking, its funny sometimes at the airport seeing the different stereotypes line up

1 Like

My family on my mother’s side had ancestors in Scotland who moved to Ireland. She ended up in England. Not sure if that makes me a Pict or a Celt.

Try saying those after a couple of drinks.

2 Likes

It makes you from superior stock :wink:

1 Like

The Picts were Celts. Lots of people were Celts/Gauls at one time. Not sure why we’re on this, but Scotland is the butt is many jokes in England. One comedian asked during the Scottish independence referendum, if they became a separate country, would those jokes then be xenophobic. There’s a thinker.
To know for sure you’d have to back trace your family history and research the surname origin on each side. Then decide it doesn’t matter because you’re still who you were day before.
And Celts were not Nordic. There was some intermixing, of course, but the Norse intermixed everywhere.

1 Like

I have always liked that two greatest kings from British history and legend are King Arthur, who fought off the scummy invading Anglo-Saxons, and King Alfred, who was one of those Anglo-Saxons.
Also the statue of Charles I at Caring Cross, in honour of the martyr-king who was so tragically had his head chopped off, while a few blocks up the street they have a statue in honour of Cromwell, who chopped it off.

2 Likes

I think genetic evidence has it that the majority of people in Britain and Ireland, genetically, are pre all of those identifiable cultural groups.

1 Like

Finally sense prevails !

1 Like

Ok this is how I see it: the early settlers of Western and Southern Europe in general came from the south, after the ice age and were dark haired. Then there were later waves from central Europe that included more of the fair hared types.

For the south and west of Europe in general the earlier traits are still the majority: Ireland, Britain, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece. Are all more than 50% the earlier traits. The most common hair: brown. (not that there is anything right with that :grinning:)

And the Spanish sailors theory, please that is like kinda insulting, and no doubt the Spanish sailors were ok, in reality they actually mostly got executed though… yikes

1 Like