What is happening to the USD/TWD exchange rate?

Good price for that!

Back in the states I had that car, around 2002 I think. Same year, sedan in red. I didn’t have the time, energy, funds, or patience to keep it running dependably and sold it off again after a year. When it was running though, it was one of the most satisfying driving experiences I’ve ever had…just so fun to drive. I think I paid around 9k USD for it at that time.

1 Like

They want to link the ‘Rubble’ to the People’s money?

Yes, but they don’t trust each other. So they use EUR.

1 Like

I’m not liking that either! All of my assets are in USD so retiring in Taiwan may have gotten a little further away for me. On the other hand a weak USD should be good for stocks.

How far out you plan to retire?
Long-term trend for USD is gonna tank (not here to debate this point; been following it for over 20 years.)
TWD could see mid-20s again. Not in near term. Maybe 5-10 years.
You need to hedge dollar-weakness with some sort of commodity, or even 5-year put option on USD.
My :2cents:

1 Like

The economy was already in a growing bubble when Trump removed many regulations on the banks, he entered a trade war with China, and then Trump failed to curb the pandemic, and the economy is dead in the water. So Trump prints even more money and the US is now in a state of endless quantitative easing.

Compared to Taiwan where President Tsai is doing a decent job both monitoring the economy and keeping COVID-19 at bay, the USD is definitely less strong in relations to the NTD now.

Right now the plan is 6 years. I do have a substantial portion of my equities in ex-US funds so hopefully I see gains there. Otherwise without a dual-currency account in Taiwan, we can’t transfer money ahead of time. Who knows where the USD will be in 6 years.

1 Like

Any US assets outside of Cash has been growing, real estate, stocks, bonds, gold/silver even crypto…why keep a large amount of assets as cash? Hell I almost got 40% gains in stock values in the last year alone and gold/silver! Real estate maybe saw 10% gains in the Southern California area…these gains completely blows away the US/NTD exchange differences.

I don’t have much in cash, just saying my assets are in American stock/bond funds. For my age I am investing pretty aggressively, 80% in stocks right now. I will probably go to 90% stocks if there is another buying opportunity, and I think there will be yet this year.

Not looking good this year.

Good to buy USD though.

Any fluctuation is good, since there’s a potential to make money. But US$ right now, sell when it goes high.

Historical data

Problem is these things are so difficult to predict.

FX traders do this for a living.

Hey Euro, stop appreciating you jerk.

I’m going to Germany this summer.

The NT$ seems to be quite unimpressed by the current COVID situation - USD basically at one-year-low.

2 Likes

Taiwan never ceases to surprise me.

1 Like

USD TWD near record decades low - 27.57

How low can we go?

1 Like