What is the Tax rate for residents in Taiwan?

After my first 183 days i have spent here, i am now being taxed less by my employer. Currently the new tax rate i am working with is 6%. But every government website/doccument i have read says that once the 183 days is over, the foreign resident goes to the same tax rates as listed in the website.

The 0-540000 NTD tax bracket is 5%

yet my boss told me that their accountant said that foreigners pay 6% while locals pay 5%.

Could i please get clarification for this? Apart from one blog website that says you get paid from 6% - 18% tax after your 183 day period, i cannot seem to find anywhere else explicitly stating that i pay 6% tax :confused:

Thanks for your time guys!

That’s not the tax rate. It’s called withholding rate.

Tax rate is not a fixed rate. It’ll depend on many factors - total income, exemptions, other income, etc etc.

Withholding can be pretty much anything. 5%, 18%

If they withhold too much (this may happen sometimes), you would be in line for a refund after you file your tax return for the 2021 taxation year (i.e. file in May 2022; in my experience, refund usually delivered promptly on August 1).

Guy

Thanks guys i think i am starting to understand. Still its a bit weird as my total income i am making is just from this teaching job. And i know i wont make more than 540,000 NTD in the financial year. I guess this is a Taiwanese way of doing taxes haha… still a bit of a culture shock for me XD

2 Likes

That’s the whole point of filing taxes at the year end. The tax department or your employer don’t know your whole income as yet. This is a SOP the world over. It’s nothing special.

It’s also worth noting that the NT$0‒540,000 range here refers to your taxable income rather than your total income. You’d have to look up the exemptions and deductions for your specific situation, but as a minimum for an unmarried, childless, regularly employed person the exemption/deductions would be NT$88k (standard exemption) + NT$120k (standard deduction for a single person) + NT$200k (special deduction for salary and wages), meaning that you don’t pay any tax at all on the first NT$408k (so any tax withheld should be returned to you when filing your tax return in 2022).

4 Likes

That sounds about right, i have no dependants and i am unmarried. And all my income is just from my regular work. I am looking forward to my tax return next year :smiley:

1 Like

Tax residency is determined by the number of days in the calendar year that you spend in Taiwan, regardless of whether or not you have an ARC. I changed the thread title accordingly.

1 Like

Slight hijack, are the tax offices finally open again? I need to file for both this year and last – I was out of the country most of last year.

The answer is “yes.” But you might give your relevant tax office a call before you head out to confirm details.

Guy

1 Like

Welcome back

2 Likes

Thanks, it’s not that far tho.

When did I leave?

Yeah, they’re open. I was intending to head there today too, if I can be bothered, before my 3% delinquency fine increases to a 4% delinquency fine. :roll_eyes:

Go and pay!

It doesn’t get more fun by waiting. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

Yeahhh, I know…but I’ve been working for the last 14+ hours straight with another hour or two to go, and sleeping is a bit more attractive than saving the extra 1% at the moment. :nerd_face:

1 Like

Pay—then sleep!

At least you’ll save some coin.

Guy

oh sorry, I was responding to this

I dragged myself to the tax office late yesterday afternoon to discover that payment there is only available until 3:30 p.m. when the attached bank closes (despite the office, whose sole function is to extract money from people, staying open until 5:30 p.m. — odd).

In any case, the nice lady issued me a new payment form so I could pay in a bank today with only the interest but no penalty, which I just did, and got charged exactly NT$1 interest for being 7 days late.

So I’ve learned my lesson about delinquency. :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

You got off easy!

Morning visits to the tax office are always a better bet than afternoon ones for the reason you discovered. I made this mistake once too. :nerd_face:

Guy

2 Likes