What is with the washing dishes in the gutter thing

Just remembered the other day about how I sometimes saw people of food stalls or restaurants using a hose on the footpath to hose out these giant orange tub things. I sometimes saw them washing dishes over the street drains aswell with only cold water from the hose and dish soap.Be good if they did it more professionally instead as this is likely not the cleanest option. Just wondering if this is actually allowed by the health authorities out of interest.

I doubt that the health authorities have much interest.

2 Likes

Concerning

It must be even encouraged by the health authorities. Come on, they are giving voucher coupon money for use in night market stalls :joy: have you seen the cleanliness (or lack thereof) in those places?

2 Likes

The health authorities want to make our immune system stronger.

6 Likes

Dishes in the gutter. It makes it look like Taiwan has it’s act together. I can understand this in small towns, but it looks bad in the capital. Food stalls are fine if their done right, but if some are doing this I know none of them care about health and safety. I’ll hardly eat at a night market because of things like that.

The standard in Taiwan in restaurants and at home for washing dishes, utensils, pots, pans, is cold water with no dish soap.

Dish soap is used more at home but it’s not the standard for restaurants.

I think people come to Taiwan thinking Taiwan is following the standards that people are using back home. But it’s not the case.

I even expect Taiwan is following the standards that I am familiar with but then I look closer and realize they are not.

1 Like

I think the standard in Taiwan is not to cook at home, unless there’s a mom or grandma who will do it for you. Most people I know who have kitchens do use dish soap. I can’t imagine cleaning a pan that’s actually been used without it. Even the gutter washers use it.
Standard or not, who wants to eat when they’ve seen that?

So to sum all this down. You cant eat out because of poor hygiene in restaurants, you cant eat at these small stores because of this gutter washing, you cant eat any food from this country because of all the food scandals and contamination. So why do people choose to live here exactly again? I think okinawa would be a better and cleaner place instead, only 1 hour flight away.

Good idea , enjoy it :mask:

1 Like

Most of us have been here for a while without dying, so we think it’s not all that bad.

4 Likes

it is just a matter of degree. Many people have immune system strong enough to eat something here. Okinawa might not be clean enough for some people.

Apparently, we can.
It’s you whose delicate constitution faints dead away at the very thought if it.

As mentioned previously, knock yourself out.

3 Likes

Boy we gots ourselves a real live one here.

1 Like

I have family (relatives) in Okinawa so here is what I see. It’s in general cleaner than many places in Taiwan but I am guessing not as clean as you think. They have wet market(s) and food shops inside them like Taiwan. They wash buckets outdoors, as you mentioned into open drains. It may be behind the doors as in Japan they try keep a good public outlook but behind this it will be different (Just like the people giving you a smile but in their mind is not a smile….). But don’t get me wrong Japan is a great place, lots of traditions and old and new mix. Taiwan is also great place with warm all year weather (Winter in Kaoshiung is much better than Naha). Photo is traditional food shop in Okinawa.

1 Like

OP maybe you can just camp out in the backyard instead? Mum and Dad will let you back in in the morning.

1 Like

Ok. One of the reasons im really concerned about this is my friend lives in taiwan and eats alot at these random restaurants and what not. Her immune system is a little better than mine but not by much and after reading of all these food safety issues and contaminants really makes me concerned everyday as she may get sick. Ive had bad food sickness before in south korea where i was hospitalized and has to fly home, where i lost 10 kg and was sick for months and this was from a country thats technically more developed than taiwan.

Restaurants doing stuff like this in the video is an issue, meat will go off outside like that. I doubt youd see people in japan cutting meat on the street and hanging it like that.

Theres plenty of images onlinr of open meat markets in taiwan, then that meat ends up in restaurants.

What is your point? What do you want us to do about it? Ever seen the movie Chinatown?

2 Likes

Someone take over for me, I’m likely to get uncharitable here.

2 Likes

you have an issue with it, so will go to Japan. We don’t have an issue with it, so are living here.

Is there anything else we can help you?

3 Likes