What is your favorite place for hot pot?

What is everyones favorite place for hot pot and why?

MMMMMM, shabu shabu.

Can’t wait to have this 5-6x a week :smiley:

How can you guys can be thinking about hot pot in this friggin’ heat??!!!

Hmmm
 they don’t have a/c?
(NY btw was a 108F yesterday. We’re going to hell for our sins.)

hot pot? no. but spicy shabu shabu (mala guo), heck yeah! i’ve only been to an all-you-can-eat one near Zhishan MRT and it was fairly enjoyable with the AC and quality of meat, although some of the seafood seemed iffy.

Has anyone been to the popular chain one called “Mala” or something?

My “local” is the one on 2F across the road from ZhuWei station - the older one on the left, with the LED sign in the window, not the new one next door on the right (which is expensive and crap). They’re really cheap (NT$200 for fish + meat), open late, with help-yourself noodles, rice, ice-cream and coffee.

sorry to spoil your party, but hot pot at home is better than any restaurant.

All, right, I’ll bite: White Sugar cane hot pot: wsss.com.tw/

My current favorite is Kahn’s Hotpot. It is located near MRT ZhongXiaoDunHua Station, exit 3. Turn right into the street immediately in front of the exit. Turn left to the third alley. It is at the left with red sign.

Meats are sliced on demand, generous and swift. All else are self-service, including soda, coffee and ice cream. There is no strict time limit, unlike many of the better-known places. So, I can eat and chat totally relaxed. The placement of tables is spacious, another big plus. They don’t charge extra for lone diner. No corkage charge either. In fact, those are what lured me there in the first place.

The food items are pretty much similar to other all-you-can-eat hotpot places. Quality of beef and lamb is above average. Ice cream temperature is set high enough, so that you don’t need to break your arm just to scrape off some shavings.

The owner couple is obsessive with cleanness, and that includes their kitchen, and hence the food. They used to live in California, so communication in English is not a problem.

Kahn’s Hotpot Facebook

Google Map - Kahn’s Hotpot

ćż ć­æ±è·Żć››æź”216ć··32ćŒ„11號
11:00 am - 2:00 pm (Monday is off for lunch)
5:00 pm - 11:00 pm

Tue-Fri Lunch $359+10%
Weekend and Dinner $439+10%
Also have lunch special starting from $160+10%

[color=#FF0000]2011.08.08[/color]
Was there last night. They just hike the price:
Tue-Fri Lunch $399+10%
Weekend and Dinner $469+10%

According to the owner, it’s due to substantial price increase from their suppliers, Mövenpick in particular.

Haha I go to this one too and it is never too hot for ma la guo.

The wife refuse to make the broth too spicy hot. She considers that to be unhealthy. But you can ask for spicy dipping sauce. I always tell her to make it super spicy.

We used to go there but then discovered one close to zhuwei wellcome. from the entrance to the supermarket, look right and you’ll see it. Better choices with some great broths including pumpkin and an indian curry style.

Any updated recommendations for hotpot in Taipei, especially in the Eastern (Xinyi) part of the city?

Looking to bring a group of 20+ first-time visitors. They should know what hotpot is and the basics, too. But anything with some manageable level of English would be a big plus

So far, GiGuo over by Eslite Main Store looks promising

http://www.giguo.com.tw/en/store.aspx

I went here recently, thought it was great. Buffet setup. Pretty much had anything you could want. Might be crowded for a group that size though.

Gobar shabu shabu
106, Taipei City, Da’an District, Section 2, Jinshan South Road, 2號
02 2395 2938
https://maps.app.goo.gl/XHqKz

1 Like

So I went with my family to æ”·ćș•æ’ˆ (Haidilao). I don’t like hot pot and this was an attempt to make me change my mind. It didn’t work (but I still enjoyed having a meal with the family).

Too many damn people. Too loud. All kinds of gimmicks - the mask changing guy show, noodle making acrobatics, happy birthday singing, etc.- just turned me off even more. The food was decent enough, but hot pot is only so good for me.

Give me a nice sit down restaurant with a smaller crowd, good dishes, and a more relaxed atmosphere any day over any hot pot restaurant.

3 Likes

McDonald’s

1 Like

To me a name like æ”·ćș•æ’ˆ makes me think of all the nasty crap you find in the bottom of the sea
 like used needles, trash, dead stuff, sea cockroaches

2 Likes

Also known as shrimp!

1 Like

Like Salto Pizzeria? :grin:

Guy

1 Like

I don’t like Haidilao either. Idk why it’s popular tbh. There are many much better hot pot places.

I personally dislike hotpot but Orange is good. Alley 8 and Chan Chi are pretty good too.

1 Like