What is Your Favorite Rockumentary?

I don’t know what the deal is but since I have gotten the ability to see youtube on my phone I have been addicted to watching Music documentaries (Rockocumentaries). I have seen jimi hendrix, Kurt Cobain, and Joy Division (Don’t worry I don’t have any suicidal tendencies), maybe I’ll watch one about them next. :beatnik:

Who’s Jimmy Hendrix? :ponder:

Who’s Jimmy Hendrix? :ponder:[/quote]

I guess I should be a little more careful when talking about the master jimi hendrix. :blush:

Here is what Clapton had to say about Hendrix death:

Hendrix played right-handed guitars upside down. While browsing through some instrument shops in the West End, Clapton found a white, left-handed Stratocaster and bought it for Hendrix. Clapton took the guitar to a Sly and the Family Stone concert at the Lyceum that night, expecting to see Jimi and give him the guitar. But Hendrix never showed up.

“The next day, I heard that he had died,” Clapton writes. “He had passed out, stoned on a mixture of booze and drugs, and choked on his own vomit. It was the first time the death of another musician really affected me. We had all felt obliterated when Buddy Holly died, but this was much more personal. I was incredibly upset and very angry, and was filled with a feeling of terrible loneliness.” :notworthy:

OK. You’re forgiven for misspelling my name. :bow:

Sorry, landshark. I’m going to edit your title from Rockocumentary to Rockumentary. I’m not averse to an extra little bit of “koc” and don’t want to be accused of being a vocabulary Nazi, but I think that rockumentary is the correct term. :smiley:

Blur - No Distance Left To Run

This Is Spinal Tap!

3 Likes

Ah, I got it! I missed that one! :slight_smile:

I guess I will get the hang of this eventually. :wink:

I have not seen that one yet. I guess I am going to have to crank up the old youtube and check it out. I love Blur!

I guess I will get the hang of this eventually. :wink:[/quote]

:slight_smile: Still, it’s a good topic for a thread. Follow the link in my post above for a list of rockumentaries.

Uh, there is only one.

It is called Spinal Tap.

and yes, I have actually seen Joy Division, the Clash, The Rolling Stones, AND Nick cave and Pink Floyd. and handed Kurt Cobain a joint (in his younger days). The real thing is much better than any rockumentary, except Spinal Tap.

1 Like

Earlier thread: What are the good movies about Rock ‘n’ Roll.

I’d like to go with two; “Dig” the story of the Brian Jonestown Massacre’s rivalry with the Dandy Warhols, and what is almost certainly the most beautifully filmed rockumentary ever, Sigur Ros’ Heima…

Second “Dig.”

Another: Tom Dowd and the Language of Music.

Literally a boy genius, Dowd led a helluva life and produced an awful lot of mid-century music on both sides of the Atlantic, from John Coltrane to Aretha Franklin to Eric Clapton to Tito Puente. Like lots of people who worked on the Manhattan Project, he died of cancer.

Here’s a clip, one that a man as unassuming as Tom Dowd probably never would have titled this way:

Best rock documentary I’ve ever watched, hands down: Rush - Beyond The Lighted Stage.

I don’t think my wife is going to be very happy with me. I’ve got a lot of Rockumentaries to watch. Thanks for posting the videos! :bravo:
I’m going to start with blur.

Hard Core Logo.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0729781/

The top ten stadium rock acts was bloody hilarious - just the right balance of rock fan geekdom and sardonic wit. I must have watched it ten times. I’m not sure how you could get a copy now but do keep an eye out.

Anvil was supposed to be good but I haven’t got round to it yet. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1157605/

On the other hand, I didn’t care much for [favurl=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387412/]Some kind of monster[/favurl] - the metallica doco. Very po-faced. Cheer up guys!

Way - hey!! Some of it is online…here’s my favourite - number 6 Motley Crue

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/_FlbSgWstX8/