What is Your Favorite Rockumentary?

Fanny The Right To Rock

Never heard of this 70s female Filipina-American rock band and don’t recognize the music but I’m a music fan so watched it. Interesting enough and probably very meaningful for some.

1 Like

Led Zeppelin Played Here

Fun interesting pet project to finally determine if Led Zeppelin played their first US show in this little youth center with less than 50 people. Lots of connected rock history. 6/10.

Meatloaf In and Out of Hell

Good documentary but I think his life was even bigger than what they captured. I didn’t know Cher was in one of his videos and he did like 60 movies.

Bad Company Official 40th Anniversary Documentary

I wouldn’t call it great. Too much talking, not enough music. Some interesting music history.

This is Gwar

Probably great show for some people but confusing from the outside.

Documentary about inner workings of bizzare rock music group GWAR.

20 Feet from Stardom

1 Like

Suede: The Insatiable Ones

Good rock flick.

Sorry, I don’t know this Zappa song

Are you a fan!?

Dio: Dreamers Never Die

Another good one about heavy metal history.

1 Like

Not a rockumentary but painted album covers and commissions for musicians and bands.

Robert Williams Documentary

Artist

He painted the controversial cover of Guns n’ Roses first album Appetite for Destruction.

Searching for Sugar Man
He was popular when I lived in Rhodesia in 1973, to the point that people would get frustrated that I had never heard of him: “But he’s American! And great! You must know of him.”
Then, in 2019 when I was visiting Canada, a friend showed me “this great movie about this totally unknown musician.”
“Hey! Sugar Man!”

1 Like

Saw him live on the Last in Line tour. Noice.

The Bowie documentary from last year (Moonage Daydream) is excellent.

Aside from that there’s a Uriah Heep documentary on YouTube, I forget the name. The thing that makes the documentary so good is one of their former managers continually talking shit about the band.

Moonage Daydream

6/10

David Bowie chaotic visual interesting fascinating like a dream.

Let’s Get Lost

8/10

A Chet Baker story shortly before his death, with lots of music and interviews with family mostly wives and girlfriends.

Amazing voice.