What job or opportunity would be great enough to convince you to go back to your home country

I want to move somewhere that’s always cold. I hate hot weather.

1 Like

I hear Ukraine is hiring right now.

1 Like

I’m confused. You’re in retail now?

Or a factory roof with solar panels to offset AC usage… but that’s like hen’s teeth in Taiwan.

No I’m not working retail right now, I have been working retail for most my life, hated every second of it but had to do it because I had no idea how to get the kind of jobs I’m good at and I want to do. Getting a job is like when they had those basketball team picks and you keep yelling “pick me, pick me” and nobody picks you.

Nothing. I hope to never live in any of the shitholes where I currently have citizenship.

Taiwan was always a midterm option formme to get exposure outside of my home country.

After 5 years working in Taiwan. a mid 6 figure job in Finance took me back home. But in all honesty, I would’ve returned anyway, just started to get a bit jaded in Taiwan and the office environment here and career progression in my field was always something I never looked highly upon, add to that I was missing my family and wanted to buy a property as an investment.

If it is ok to mention for you. Which country is “home” for you? Or more accurately, where was your country of origin.

For Canada. I feel the (natural) environment in taiwan is way better than canada and its how i make a living. There are pros on culture and politics in Canada, but those are recently swaying to taiwan being more preferable as well. I find fewer reasons to go back to canada aside from family and chinese oppression. Cleaner air and food and better schools are other strong considerations.

2 Likes

For me it’s the USA which is a huge place with different pros and cons depending on where you are. But there’s a similar situation happening there including rising food and housing prices, huge issues in the criminal justice system, ECT.

Many countries have huge problems with affordability in terms.of just making a living right now . Housing crises in many, poverty and hunger in others. Taiwan stacks up pretty well in that regard. I doubt workers in amusement parks in Taiwan have to live like this.

Of course not. Because even fully fluent in Chinese and English college grads are being paid the same high, high salary of 160/hr and either living with their parents or living on their own with their parents’ money. And SEA slaves?

You make a very good point about migrant workers of course. Their treatment prior to covid but especially these last few years made me reevaluate Taiwan .

I’m just really focusing on the cost of living not being that bad in Taiwan that a whole family would need to live in a motel room.

To be clear.
I don’t think Taiwan is a great place for the majority of foreigners to try and migrate to long term due to the numerous legal obstacles in place and the lack of human rights for most while working here and ability to upgrade themselves and get on a pathway to citizenship and residency for them and their families.

In general I think it’s better for a short stint and indeed that is how the Taiwan authorities design it, unless you are ethnic Chinese.

Now individuals and families can try and make it work, especially when you have a better type of residency visa here.

1 Like

It’s true that Disney and other mega rich companies in the US do not pay their workers a living wage, but Taiwan is increasingly unaffordable with not great prospects too. If you’re two people even working full time making NT200/hr (x2=400/hr, which is a stretch to make even for people with a lot of experience outside of tech), you’re only making NT64k/mo total, on two incomes. In a place like Taipei, you’d be living in a place the size and quality of a motel room, especially if you have kids to cover the costs of. Outside of Taipei isn’t really a good comparison because Orlando isn’t exactly an affordable place to live either.

What I really don’t like about this news report is how they say “at least they have a job”. Tickets to Disney are over US$100/day, everything within the park is insanely expensive, and you want to “at least they have a job” this situation? It’s the same with Amazon. Pay your damn workers and pay your damn taxes. Don’t ever “at least you have a job” someone who is being paid a poverty wage to prop up the wealth of the already wealthiest.

The US absolutely has an affordability crisis, but Taiwan is going in that same direction. Time for capitalism to die a quick and painless death.

1 Like

Yeah, Disney USA tickets are so high. Japan Disney is like half price. That being said when I went to USA Disney it was full of people, they must make huge profits,

I wonder why do not try Wal-MART they pay lorry drivers $3,00,000 (US$110,000) a year

Walmart generally only hires experienced drivers (they’re starting a new development program, internally for new drivers, for existing employees), so it’s not like someone can just go get a CDL and a Walmart trucking job. Long haul is also a tough, unhealthy lifestyle with much time away from family.

Yea USA locks up far more people than any other countries in the world… only countries that are near the USA in terms of incarceration tends to be shithole countries… no developed countries locks up nearly as many as the US.

For me it’s Australia

1 Like

You make very valid and great points.

For most white collar/educated professionals from the west it’s simply a “step down” to live in Taiwan long term. A few years as a change up isn’t a bad idea but the opportunity costs for longer term moves add up and become more unattractive.

2 Likes

Very nice place, many recent immigrants (many Taiwanese too in Brisbane) with the high living standards.

2 Likes

The runup in housing prices in the U.S. in the last five years has been phenomenal. The last affordable housing market on the West Coast for example – Portland, Oregon – saw buyers routinely paying $100,000 over asking price in desirable neighborhoods due to stiff competition among buyers, with average price per square foot up 50-to-75%.

Yeah, not a bad place and am grateful that it’s home for me. I spent a portion of my childhood living in Queensland so always have a fondness for the lovely weather and nice beaches there.

1 Like