What just happened? Everything is different

That I don’t know.

Message Retention

Chat differs from regular topics in that is ephemeral; while a topic might contain important documentation that a community desires to retain for several years, chat works best as short-form communication; e.g. asking how something works, or what information is needed to diagnose an issue.

By default, messages in channels last for 90 days. Note that this can be customised by admins, and so may not be accurate for your community. Personal chats between specific users last forever by default.

3 Likes

Thanks, I’m just going to take this at face value that chats are deleted after 90 days. However it’s a little loosely worded, I can’t see anywhere where they explicitly say they completely delete all chat records on the server, they seem to be leaving themselves some wiggle room.

1 Like

I assume it’s purged. I hope it is.

Maybe @pfaffman knows?

1 Like

It’s one of the new features of Forumosa

1 Like

Can I get an eggplant next to my name?

Make it so, number one.

I think you can do it yourself in your profile page, under “Custom Status”, but I can help if you need.

1 Like

Cool

It is there until tomorrow. But we can all do our own custom status

2 Likes

When a forum gives up on editing all the foul mouthed users saying fuck all the time, they just put 18+ in their disclaimer and enter more dancing bananas.

or, it was there before. ain’t nothing wrong with an innocent yet obvious message of a dancing banana to shove someone off their insistence. I mean, some other sites go full China censorship and they end up developing.new ways to.say the same thing. Like SWIM. what a waste of bandwidth. both technologically as well as mentally. :banana: !

That’s what I said :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

My dancing banana is just an innocent banana dancing at the rhythm of the song in the link!

It is.

Not sure just what words you’re talking about, but there is a site setting chat channel retention days that can be changed, so chats are not purged after 90 days if that setting is changed to a different number.

1 Like

T H I C C

Thanks - I tried it myself earlier but failed. Cést la muthafuckin vie

FIFY

It threw up an error message, I assumed because there was no text, so I added a full stop and that worked

May I ask: why am I getting large pithy sayings and thoughts at the bottom of every thread?

Is there some way for me to turn this off? Please?

Guy

2 Likes

We’ve been talking about this in the Regulars chat, and the funny thing is I hadn’t even noticed them until someone took a screenshot and pointed out to me exactly where they are. I don’t usually look beyond the last post in a thread.

Fortune cookie say close your eyes if dont want to see

I took inspiration from the one on my page.

3 Likes

afterspivak say it is annoying and has no connection to the thread I was reading.

If I want fun-and-games style, I know where to find it already. It’s jarring and unpleasant to find these pithy sayings and jokes at the bottom of an earthquake or other thread.

Guy

1 Like