What movie traumatized you as a kid?

Um…yeaaa… My talk wasn’t as smooth. :joy::joy:

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and that child catcher bastard!

Omg that’s such a good one. Sissy Spacek :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

Haven’t seen that one. I’ll have to check it out. Amityville was a creepy one, and the way they sold it as a true story made it scarier (didn’t learn until later that it was very loosely based on the real story).

2 Likes

Physical scars, emotional scars…they’re all scars, right? :sunglasses:

1 Like

Jaws made me believe there were sharks in the pool.

Aracnaphobia had me checking under my pillow every night.

IT killed all clowns for me and made me nervous about storm drains

Ghost Busters library scene gave me library phobia.

An episode of the cartoon Goast Busters had a demon ghost in it with goat legs and a freaky rabbit head. Had trouble sleeping for days after that.

Night if the Living Dead made me terrified of zombies and my imagination went wild about how to zombie proof my house.

2 Likes

I just watched The Exorcist two weeks ago. Up til then I would always cover my eyes when Satan appeared. I forgot to this time and saw it. Thought to myself this movie is one big joke.

It’s really about a 12 year old girl with a horrible cursing streak. I mean what kid even knows to say “you mother sucks cock in hell”??? :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

I’ve heard this one before, but I don’t even remember that part, and I saw the movie as a kid.

I watched it when I was 9y/o. That crazy bitch locked in the cellar (Henrietta) freaked me out.

Henrietta: I’ll swallow your soul! I’ll swallow your soul! I’ll swallow your soul!
Ash: [aims shotgun at Henrietta’s face] Swallow this.

2 Likes

It’s a great film, but it’ll make you depressed for about a week afterwards. It’s great, not fun.

I was too old for Carpenter’s 1982 version, but the 1951 movie was on tv a lot in the 60s and 70s.

I grew up on a farm, so had chores every morning before school and every evening after. We kept chicken feed behind a barn door that looked almost exactly like the greenhouse door in the movie, the one that Cap. Hendry pops open only to find the giant, aggressive, blood-addicted carrot monster waiting right there.

Man, there were times I got myself so wound up about opening that door in the winter, after dark. Scared af opening that door thanks to that movie.

2 Likes

Jaws. Couldn’t get in deep water (where you can’t see if sharks are coming up from below) for the next 20 years. Actually signed up for SCUBA lessons in Thailand to (in part) get over my phobia. It worked. Even touched a shark.

4 Likes

Hopefully not inappropriately. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

I don’t get traumatised but Grave of the Fireflies is probably the saddest movie ever.

4 Likes

Barefoot Gen is very similar in premise (and equally traumatic).

1 Like

That’s a haunting one for sure…it really stayed with me afterwards.

The Holocaust mini series (with Meryl Streep and James Woods)

I wouldn’t say traumatized, but definitely shaped they way I imagine what it was like during that time (without the Hollywood-type twists in the story of course). So many scenes from that series that pop up in my head whenever I think about Germany’s dark past.

2 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Whatevvvaaa, spelling nazi!!!

1 Like

So you’re saying you spelled James wrong? :thinking:

1 Like