What movie traumatized you as a kid?

Traumatized by movies. Ridiculous.

I’ve heard great things about this series.

Not even when you were a SmallusDickus?

Traumatic movies made me the dickus I am today.

2 Likes

The Thing was one of the first horror movies I saw, probably around age 11, but I don’t remember being particularly scared by it - late enough in childhood, I guess, for it not to be a big deal.

I’m kind of surprised The Wizard of Oz didn’t terrify me. I find it incredibly creepy and unsettling now!

There were two film or TV scenes from much earlier on that did near-traumatize me. One was a vampire film - I have absolutely no idea which one. May even have just been a commercial. I think I’d already gone to bed and got up again for whatever reason, and there was a vampire on the TV. I hope it was at least a Christopher Lee movie, but it was probably some campy-as-f 70s flick. (Which, er, does overlap with Christopher Lee movies I guess!)

Another was a scene of a little boy watching his mother being buried - I think this may have been Doctor Zhivago, but I’m not sure. For all I know that may have been my introduction to the concept of death.

Occasional Star Trek (original series) scenes too - the one where they’re on a massively overcrowded planet, and suddenly an opaque window becomes transparent and you see throngs of people pressed up against it, is seared into my memory.

My mother reports that the most scared she’s ever seen me was at Disneyland, when I was absolutely terrified by the idea of going through the mouth of a whale. I guess it was this ride, but I have no memory of it. (And to be honest I think I had a point!):

2 Likes

Jaws. A Chinese Ghost Story.

This damn thing was what freaked me out from the Ghost Busters cartoon. Surprised I was able to find it.

a8cf3212913acda5dfd0d8d64bf0fe1a

2 Likes

Made me so scared I would touch anything white. Couldn’t even sit on the toilet in peace, toilet bowl was white

images - 2020-02-19T194042.100

Predator was pretty traumatizing by to me. Arnold Schwarzenegger has to fight this monster that could become transparent when next to trees and leaves. We had palm trees in the living room and I was terrified the monster was hiding there seeing me.

3 Likes

Yeah, this one.

I also found certain scenes in ‘Terminator 2’ traumatizing.

1 Like

Fire in the sky, I was like 5 or little more and never watched again lol but I remember the whole movie.

3 Likes

That late?

1 Like

If you watch it when you’re a 12-13 year old kid it scares the shit out of you. Although the vomit looks like pea soup.

1 Like

What! My parents let me watch that movie when I was like 13 and I loved it. It was so fun and exciting for me.

The Omega Man with Charlton Heston (1971) really freaked me out. I looked in back seats of cars, was afraid of dark places…uh, I was 17 at the time.

1 Like

Actually the original ‘Dumbo’ left a mark.

2 Likes

The hallucinatory drunk scene?

I’ll give a shout out to the island of lost kids in ‘Pinocchio.’ Nightmare fuel.

The first Chucky, because I had a doll that looked like the good side of him

1 Like

I do remember this upsetting me. The scene where he visits his mom when she’s locked in the cage. Thinking about it is actually making me sad right now.

The old Disney movies are pretty fucked up.

1 Like