What Movies Are You Watching? (2015)

Think I will see that Steve Jobs movie when it starts here. Meantime saw THE MARTIAN last night.
Good movie. Well made and well acted.

Worth your 300nt for sure.

What else is playing in town here? We have PAN (the latest twist on Peter Pan) and EVEREST (the latest movie on climbing Everest) .

[quote=“tommy525”]Think I will see that Steve Jobs movie when it starts here. Meantime saw THE MARTIAN last night.
Good movie. Well made and well acted.

Worth your 300nt for sure.

What else is playing in town here? We have PAN (the latest twist on Peter Pan) and EVEREST (the latest movie on climbing Everest) .[/quote]

It’s seriously the time of remakes.

PAN < HOOK

EVEREST = K2/Vertical Limit

MARTIAN = Saving Private Ryan + Interstellar

I’ll highly consider seeing Martian even though it seems like a combo of SPR and Interstellar. Even with the same actor!

Has anyone seen Attack on Titan? The Japanese movie about giants eating humans. It’s on playing on theathers anymore but thinking about watching it.

I would be so much more interested in seeing “The Martian” if I knew it were a prequel of “Interstellar.” I wasn’t a big fan of “Interstellar”, but I did like Matt Damon’s character in it - and “The Martian” could show you (a) why he was so admired (“best of us”? Was that the line?), and (b) how he turned out the way he did!

Maybe I’ll head-canon that anyway.

I disliked Interstellar. And don’t worry The Martian has nothing to do with Interstellar.

Haha, I was merely poking fun at the idea that SVP + Interstellar = The Martian, is because Matt Damon once again, needs to be saved, but this time, in space on another planet.

Oh, I know - but the imaginary link between “The Martian” and “Interstellar” makes both films more appealing.

[quote=“ranlee”]
I’ll highly consider seeing Martian even though it seems like a combo of SPR and Interstellar. Even with the same actor![/quote]
Re: The Martian [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/what-movies-are-you-watching-2015/85462/240 do.[/url]

Our Brand Is Crisis (2015) - the few critics who have reviewed it so far mostly seem to hate it. Produced by George Clooney and written by the scribe of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, I find Our Brand Is Crisis dramatic, well-paced, and funny all at the same time. Set in Bolivia, Sandra Bullock shines in her excellent performance as a political campaign mastermind, going up against a highly popular opposing candidate and his strategist, a bald Billy Bob Thornton (who is apparently based on one james carville, the campaign strategist for bill clinton way back when). As far as cynical political films go, this one’s pretty dang enjoyable. And have I mentioned it’s full of humor (there may or may not be butt jokes involved)? Also, my sister really liked it.

I’m getting REALLY behind on keeping track of these.

Local Hero (1983) An American yuppy type is sent by the oil company he works for to negotiate in a quaint Scottish village. Pleasant gentle humour ensues.

Whiplash (2014) Excellent movie about ambition and drive, focusing on the relationship between a young drummer and his tyrannical teacher. Very good.

Mr. Turner (2014) I love Mike Leigh, and he’s magic in partnership with Timothy Spall. Unusually he tackles a period subject this time with the (later) life of the artist Turner, who Spall plays to perfection. Fantastic film.

Mary Poppins (1964) Horrible horrible horrible movie. Almost as bad as The Sound of Music. Awful.

The Burmese Harp (1956) Good film about a Japanese troop at the end of WW2.

The Avengers (2012) I dithered a few years over whether to watch this movie or not. On the one hand I really don’t like superhero movies and have got sick of being disappointed by them. On the other hand, it’s Joss Whedon directing. So, it was fairly good. It’s got me interested enough to catch up with the rest of the new Marvel movies.

Mon Oncle (1958) French comedian Jaques Tati’s humour is delightful but so subtle that it’s not exactly ‘funny’, but engrossing nonetheless. This film was pretty good. Tati’s certainly a wonderful observationalist.

The Imitation Game (2014) I really enjoyed this film about Turing at Bletchley and the cracking of the Enigma code. Though it played fairly loose with the exact facts, I think it got the essentials right, which is what a fiction film should do. It’s well worth a watch.

Life Itself (2014) The story of the life of my favourite film critic, Roger Ebert. Nice story.

Citzenfour (2014) Documentary maker Laura Poitras records her top-secret meetings with Glenn Greenwald and Edward Snowden as the latter prepares to spill the secrets he has stolen from NSA. Very well done, and an arresting look at Snowden and his aims.

Mother India (1957) A newly-wed suffers and struggles with the land of India as her livelihood and family are torn apart. A very influential film, but too melodramatic for me.

My Brilliant Career (1979) An intelligent young woman on a nineteenth century Australian outback farm is determined to live her life on her own terms. Good story.

My Left Foot (1989) The story of Christy Brown’s struggle to overcome MS and become a famous writer. Funny at times, but (and maybe I’m jaded here) it also seemed like a heartstring-pulling Oscar grab.

Tokyo Twilight(1957) Ozu’s most tragically dark and dramatic film about two sisters who find their mother who had abandoned them years before. Lovely film with a sad ending.

Novecento (1976) De Niro and Depardieu star in this Bertolucci film about two boys born at the dawn of the 20th century - one to the landowner’s family and one to one of the peasants. Their friendship continues through the first world war, the rise of fascism and the second world war. It’s a good film, but pretty ‘epic’ at 5 hours and 17 minutes for the director’s cut. It was worth it though.

Playtime (1967) The funniest and cleverest of the three Jacques Tati films I have seen, about modern life and technology. The long restaurant scene at the end is particularly good.

Ashes and Diamonds (1958) Excellent Polish film about a man from the nationalist resistance waiting, immediately after German surrender at the close of WW2, to assassinate a Russian general. It’s cinematography presages the French New World in its stylishness. It’s energetic yet lethargic at the same time. A masterpiece of Polish cinema.

The Heiress (1949) Boring drama about a mousy woman who dotes on her father, but falls for a man he doesn’t approve of.

Harlan: In the Shadow of Jud Suss (2008) Documentary about Renee Harlan, the filmmaker who made a notorious anti-semitic film for the Nazis, why he made the film, and its impact on his living relatives.

Real Life (1979) A spoof of a famous reality show about a typical American family. About enough material for a good Saturday Night Live sketch dragged out into a feature film.

I’ve watched two Taiwanese movies this weekend. First is a film my dad insisted on watching called Zinnia Flower. The Chinese title 百日告別 is literally “Hundred-Day Goodbyes”. As the traditional ritual only ends after the 100th day of passing.

Director Tom Lin based the film on his own experience of losing his wife of 12 years. The movie is about a guy who lost his pregnant wife and a woman who lost her fiance in the same car accident coping with their losses. The two main characters have very little interactions through out the film, and dealt struggled with their grief in different ways. The guy drank, smoked, and wanted nothing to remind him of his wife. The girl surrounded herself with the memory of her fiance, even went on their planned honeymoon alone, with the hand drawn guidebook made by her fiance.

Lin said he immediately went to writing the story after his wife’s 100th day ritual. So it isn’t hard to imagine the film is immensely depressing. The grief portrayed is so immense and without an outlet in the plot, that I couldn’t even shed a tear through out. You just see the two main characters making one mistake after another, trying to get by. At the end, I still wasn’t sure if there’s hope at the end of the bus ride, because the theme of the film seems to be that time doesn’t heal at all.

The film differs from other Taiwanese movies about decease of a loved one, such as Seven Days in Heaven (父後七日) and Heaven of Illegal Structures (違章天堂), in taking a really realistic and humourless look at the process, pointing out the inconsideration of all the traditions, believes, and rituals. That people seem to be more concerned about vindicating their believes and go through the motions than paying attention to those that truly lost their loved ones are really going through.

I followed that first depressing film up with the documentary Wansei Back Home (灣生回家), which I had a thread for: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 3&t=152536

I saw an news interview of Tanaka Mika (田中實加, 陳宣儒), the person who started documenting Wansei stories.

She said it started because his grandma, who was a Wansei, asked her to goto Hualian to attend a Wansei gathering in her place. But she also continued to document Wansei’s stories, spending a lot of money and selling her own home to make the documentary, as a way to grip with the lost of her boyfriend, who died in an traffic accident in Tokyo while trying to get to a date with Mika. Before passing Mika’s boyfriend asked her to live happy, and gave her a ring that he had been waiting for an opportunity to give to her. In the interview Mika say although she has made a promise to stop wearing the ring, when things got tough during the making of the documentary, she would put it on.

Somehow the two movies I watched during the weekend seems to be connected after all.

Beautiful Noise (2014) A documentary about the ‘Shoegaze’ musical genre with music and interviews from bands like My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, Ride, Lush and the like. Great if you’re into that sublime genre of music.

Knights of Badassdom (2013) Comedy about some live roleplaying geeks who end up with more than they bargained for when they accidentally summon a demon. It’s cheesy as hell, but quite enjoyable if you’re into that geeky stuff. And it has Summer Glau.

Another Year (2010) Brilliant drama from Mike Leigh about an older married couple and some of their less happy friends. Like many of Leigh’s films the real life of good down-to-earth English types is lovingly portrayed but there’s also some genuine intense sadness. Great film.

Kano (2014) Quite an enjoyable Taiwanese movie about a multicultural underdog team from the south of Taiwan under Japanese occupation who get selected to go to the championships in Japan. There’s a strong focus on the baseball, so I expect it would be even more likeable for sports fans.

Point Blank (1967) John Boorman directs Lee Marvin as a double-crossed man bent on revenge as he works his way further up the mysterious ‘organisation’ in search of what he is owed. Nice stylish thriller.

The Hired Hand (1971) Wishy-washy western with Warren Oates and Peter Fonda.

Marketa Lazarova (1967) The story of an old pagan clan fighting the more modern christian king in medieval times. The story is a bit hard to follow, but the images of a wild middle ages are quite interesting.

Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014) Wonderful outstanding fun from start to finish. Wipes the pants of any superhero or action movies around these days in its fresh sense of unbridled adventure (and sumptuous violence). Great stuff.

Coherence (2013) Low-key low-budget science fiction filmed mostly in a single house. Four couples meet for dinner as a comet passes and weird stuff starts happening. It’s clever and mysterious.

A Legacy of Filmmakers: The Early Years of American Zoetrope (2004) The story of Coppola’s Zoetrope Studios which launched the careers of George Lucas and others.

Powaqqatsi (1988) A follow-up to Koyaanisqatsi, another experimental film combining images of modern life with a soundtrack by Philip Glass. I found the firs film to be much better, but it’s till worth watching if you like that kind of thing.

The Music Room (1958) Beautiful film by Satyajit Ray about an impoverished member of the lower Indian aristocracy and the way he spends the last of his meager fortune on musical spectacles.

Stalker (1979) I was disappointed. I’d imagined Stalker was going to be amazing. It had beautiful cinematography, but little else really I thought. I was a bit bored, to tell you the truth.

Project Almanac (2014) If you’re like me and will watch any time travel movie, you should still NOT see this one. It’s a boring amateurish found-footage film about some dumb kids who invent a time machine.

Tomorrow When the War Began (1958) Based on a young adult novel about some kids who miss the invasion of their Australian outback town while out on a camping trip, and return to become guerilla fighters. Not great, but kind of fun for the different storyline.

The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957) Kind of cheesy for the old special effects but also kind of cool in places. Not bad for an old 50s horror.

BRIDGE OF SPIES - Just watched it. Great , worth seeing. REalistic. Tom Hanks played it as well as he always does and Spielberg pulls it off again !

Tomorrow we plan to see the Steve JObs movie.

Ps. Saw it . Was pretty good

Suppose its time to counteract all these shit movies with good movies

FRACTURE
THE TALE OF THE PRINCESS KAGUYA
HEADHUNTERS
SONG OF THE SEA
GANGSTER NO. 1
STAY
A ROOM WITH A VIEW (1985)
LAYER CAKE
DE BATTRE MON COEUR S’EST ARRÊTÉ (THE BEAT THAT MY HEART SKIPPED)
FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD

Awesome, titles with no plot review or your opinions on the movies. I’m definitely going to watch each and every one of those since they’ got the triceratopses seal of approval. :discodance:

Ghostbusters (1984) - This came on at around 9PM on Saturday on Star Movies HD and I could not have been more excited. I’m still a great fan of movies from the 1980s and Ghostbusters has got to be on the top of my list of favorite movies. About how Bill Murray and crew saves New York from extra terrestrial beings…and Sigourney Weaver once again gets abducted by extra terrestrial beings. The action comedy is a classic in my book.

I linked them, and I think the personal opinions of a nobody is less important than the name of a movie. However watching the first movie will make you want to watch the first 3, watching those will in turn make you want to watch the rest of the list

Thank me later

[quote=“triceratopses”]Suppose its time to counteract all these shit movies with good movies

FRACTURE
THE TALE OF THE PRINCESS KAGUYA
HEADHUNTERS
SONG OF THE SEA
GANGSTER NO. 1
STAY
A ROOM WITH A VIEW (1985)
LAYER CAKE
DE BATTRE MON COEUR S’EST ARRÊTÉ (THE BEAT THAT MY HEART SKIPPED)
FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD
A BITTERSWEET LIFE (DALKOMHAN INSAENG)[/quote]

Of these I have seen only Room with a View. Its just a simple movie where the lead actress was kind of cute is my takeaway from the movie.

kekeke
the super critics on rt disagree with you somewhat:

“It is an intellectual film, but intellectual about emotions: It encourages us to think about how we feel, instead of simply acting on our feelings.”

“This is a movie about having the courage to face one’s feelings, and to risk intimacy, fully knowing and being known by another person.”

kekeke
the super critics on rt disagree with you somewhat:

“It is an intellectual film, but intellectual about emotions: It encourages us to think about how we feel, instead of simply acting on our feelings.”

“This is a movie about having the courage to face one’s feelings, and to risk intimacy, fully knowing and being known by another person.”[/quote]

Nah, it was a somewhat boring movie that I went to see because my then GF wanted to see it. All i remember about it was the lead actress was kinda cute. That’s it ! :smiley: