What Movies Are You Watching? (2015)

Saw the premier of the new James Bond movie SPECTRE. Well done, good movie. I think the best of the Daniel Craig Bonds. He doesn’t want to do another i hear. I guess maybe he is thinking of getting an Oscar one day, and I don’t think any Bond actor has ever won an Oscar? I could be wrong though.

I think we only had maybe 30 people in the audience. IT would be a full house in Taiwan no doubt or in Indonesia.

kekeke
the super critics on rt disagree with you somewhat:

“It is an intellectual film, but intellectual about emotions: It encourages us to think about how we feel, instead of simply acting on our feelings.”

“This is a movie about having the courage to face one’s feelings, and to risk intimacy, fully knowing and being known by another person.”[/quote]

Nah, it was a somewhat boring movie that I went to see because my then GF wanted to see it. All i remember about it was the lead actress was kinda cute. That’s it ! :smiley:[/quote]

I think it was a fantastic movie. HBC at her best. Merchant Ivory at their best.

No point arguing, have you seen Fracture?

Think its Daniel Craig’s last Bond movie. I’m also wondering if its the last BOND movie as well? They must have run out of stories by now. And the cast is oh so different nowadays. A very young Q, a different M again (M is a man again), another Moneypenny (cute black girl) . And Bond is going to change again.

This one was soooo much better then SKYFALL< which i thought was a bit of a ho hum movie.

I just saw Assassin and I don’t get it. Slow story, very little action, very “Chinese” in very long shots of people just standing/sitting or scenery. It seems like they tried to go in the direction of Zhang Yimou, but couldn’t get the colors right along with having a decent story.

The Big Short (2015) - Amazing. A story about the housing meltdown/financial crisis of 2007. Includes lots of humor and a great rhythm. Nice performances by an ensemble cast of Christian Bale, Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling, Brad Pitt, and co.

Carol (2015) - (Somewhat) Unexpectedly good. Set in the early 1950s, about the controversial relationship between Cate Blanchett’s Carol and Rooney Mara’s Therese.

[quote=“tommy525”]Think its Daniel Craig’s last Bond movie. I’m also wondering if its the last BOND movie as well? They must have run out of stories by now. And the cast is oh so different nowadays. A very young Q, a different M again (M is a man again), another Moneypenny (cute black girl) . And Bond is going to change again.

This one was soooo much better then SKYFALL< which i thought was a bit of a ho hum movie.[/quote]

Oh, I liked it very much. Mostly because of the echoes/nods to Sean Connery’s movies.
And that wrap the plot of the 3 Craig movies together - so groovy!

If I can’t have Idris Elba as Bond, let him be either a fellow agent or ultra evil. Otherwise clone Sean Connery.

I was like – As a lifelong Bond fan I can’t help but ask: How can you gather so many smart people in a room and come up with Spectre

Also can’t disagree with this gentleman’s frustrations

Speaking of disasters, saw the trailer for the US “version” -rather, retelling/completely different story- for El Secreto de sus Ojos -The secret of their eyes. Oh boy. Couldn’t believe my eyes when Julia Roberts delivered in the most deadpan, cardboard cutout would have more life, the most repetitive, unoriginal, line of all murder cases. And an idiotic premise was revealed -regarding the photograph gimmick, which is such a reveal in the original, and turned here, well, not even into a joke, but something so ridiculous disdain is hard to muster… and right in the trailer, which tells you a lot about how painful this movie will be. Oh, boy.

To wash this taste off my poor bleeding eyes, these are good news:

[quote]The long-gestating Freddie Mercury biopic has apparently found new life as Sony has brought on Anthony McCarten to pen the script, according to The Tracking Board.

McCarten earned an Oscar nomination for his work on the Stephen Hawking biopic The Theory of Everything. He takes over duties from Peter Morgan, who was previously tasked with adapting Mercury’s story for film.

In the wake of Sascha Baron Cohen’s departure from the film, Sony circled Ben Whishaw (Spectre, Cloud Atlas) as a favorite to portray the Queen frontman. The Tracking Board notes that Whishaw is still on board to star, joining a cast that also includes musician Johnny Flynn as Queen’s Roger Taylor and Gemma Arterton as Mercury’s longtime partner, Mary Austin.

Production will reportedly begin in June 2016.
[/quote]
consequenceofsound.net/2015/11/f … xt-summer/

Young Q from Spectre and Skyfall as Freddie. Let’s see if this young cub can pull Mercury’s sequins, though I suspect they will have to thread a chest rug on him.

[quote=“Icon”]Speaking of disasters, saw the trailer for the US “version” -rather, retelling/completely different story- for El Secreto de sus Ojos -The secret of their eyes. Oh boy. Couldn’t believe my eyes when Julia Roberts delivered in the most deadpan, cardboard cutout would have more life, the most repetitive, unoriginal, line of all murder cases. And an idiotic premise was revealed -regarding the photograph gimmick, which is such a reveal in the original, and turned here, well, not even into a joke, but something so ridiculous disdain is hard to muster… and right in the trailer, which tells you a lot about how painful this movie will be. Oh, boy.

To wash this taste off my poor bleeding eyes, these are good news:

[quote]The long-gestating Freddie Mercury biopic has apparently found new life as Sony has brought on Anthony McCarten to pen the script, according to The Tracking Board.

McCarten earned an Oscar nomination for his work on the Stephen Hawking biopic The Theory of Everything. He takes over duties from Peter Morgan, who was previously tasked with adapting Mercury’s story for film.

In the wake of Sascha Baron Cohen’s departure from the film, Sony circled Ben Whishaw (Spectre, Cloud Atlas) as a favorite to portray the Queen frontman. The Tracking Board notes that Whishaw is still on board to star, joining a cast that also includes musician Johnny Flynn as Queen’s Roger Taylor and Gemma Arterton as Mercury’s longtime partner, Mary Austin.

Production will reportedly begin in June 2016.
[/quote]
consequenceofsound.net/2015/11/f … xt-summer/

Young Q from Spectre and Skyfall as Freddie. Let’s see if this young cub can pull Mercury’s sequins, though I suspect they will have to thread a chest rug on him.[/quote]

On the OTHER hand…

¿Quien es tu papi?

Guy

Sicario. :thumbsup: Haven’t seen a movie this good in a long time. Catch it while it’s still playing in theaters.

My papito either shaves or covers the chest rug… sigh 15 seasons and a movie!

[quote=“Icon”]My papito either shaves or covers the chest rug… sigh 15 seasons and a movie!

[/quote]

He’s obviously toying with you.

Saw the Mocking Jay with the wifey. Never see that movie unless you saw the others. Because otherwise it makes zero sense. Fairly large audience (premier) seemed to like it and were “into” the movie. I actually slept through at least part of it.

Lousiest movie I’ve seen all year ! LIke I said, you have to have seen the others to make any sense of this one.

[quote=“tommy525”]Saw the Mocking Jay with the wifey. Never see that movie unless you saw the others. Because otherwise it makes zero sense. Fairly large audience (premier) seemed to like it and were “into” the movie. I actually slept through at least part of it.

Lousiest movie I’ve seen all year ! LIke I said, you have to have seen the others to make any sense of this one.[/quote]

I’m assuming you did not see all the previous movies? Also assuming the wifey dragged you along?

I was going to see this yesterday, but plans got derailed. After Mockingjay part 2, next movie will be Star Wars for me. I don’t see many other movies that are coming out in the near future that I really want to see or ones that would make me spend my moneyz.

I really do not get that string of tragic, angst filled teen oriented movies we are suffering from. Ever since that horrid Twilight, everything has gone downhill. I was trying to watch The Giver -also based on a depressing book-, The Maze whatever-more tragedy-, Divergent and of course, The Hunger Games. All sort of reasonable books made into a parody of themselves in hopes of striking eureka gold trilogy dollar heaven… with the most depressing, tragic characters and plot lines set in post Apocalyptic doom?! I mean, this kind of fare makes Terminator look giddy.

I know I am too old -not the target demographic- but seriously, who watches this stuff?! I mean, in our time as teenagers, we had all these books based on nuclear war stories and stuff, now it is post Apocalyptic/war dictatorships and mind numbing conformism imposed… as a vision of the future?

Or we get superheroes t the other end of the spectrum. But those have to be dark, too.

An alternative to the gloom and doom. I think this is going to be funny:

@icon - I watch them. The Hunger Games movies, at least. It’s also the only one you need to stick with. I watched Mockingjay Part 2 on a Tuesday night at a huge theater and it was p.a.c.k.e.d. Makes sense I guess - This franchise is the big one that jumpstarted all the teen-driven dystopian pictures we’re now being bombarded with.

I was delightfully surprised - The film is way better than it needs to be and the filmmakers don’t try to pander to all fans by doing middle of the road, one-size-fits-all, safest rendition of the story - they actually have a distinct point of view and stick to it - and that’s why I even if it is never going to win an Oscar for best picture, I still respect the commitment.

They weren’t afraid to show sad or ugly things (this is about war after all), or show their main characters do or say things that aren’t necessarily appealing, but honest nonetheless. Plus, great performances from all around, from the late Philip Seymour Hoffman to Jennifer Lawrence, to Woody Harrelson and Donald Sutherland (& co).

I’ve never seen diverging mazes or whatever, but I’ve seen two of those twilight movies (courtesy of my little sister), and based on those two I can’t emphasize how different The Hunger Games films are from the 4ish hours of confusion that are the angsty-broody tween vampire flicks. Plus, Hunger Games packs way more action (wtf is that vampire-werewolf pow-wow that they make a huge-ass deal out of the entire time, but then surmounted to like 10 minutes of talking and then some CG blurs (or something - don’t remember much)?)

Anyway, I say this recently coming off of seeing (and liked) a two hour long dialog-faithful Macbeth film with Michael Fassbender and Marion Cotillard, so I could be crazy, odd, weird, or just plain different. So there you go.

[quote=“ranlee”][quote=“tommy525”]Saw the Mocking Jay with the wifey. Never see that movie unless you saw the others. Because otherwise it makes zero sense. Fairly large audience (premier) seemed to like it and were “into” the movie. I actually slept through at least part of it.

Lousiest movie I’ve seen all year ! LIke I said, you have to have seen the others to make any sense of this one.[/quote]

I’m assuming you did not see all the previous movies? Also assuming the wifey dragged you along?

I was going to see this yesterday, but plans got derailed. After Mockingjay part 2, next movie will be Star Wars for me. I don’t see many other movies that are coming out in the near future that I really want to see or ones that would make me spend my moneyz.[/quote]

Yes indeed, the dangers of having a wife , one gets dragged to movies at times. To be honest , MockingJay was well made as a movie. And the audience at my showing seemed to be thrilled with it as there were very little sounds in the movie house all throughout , and she pronounced it a good movie. But really, if one has not seen any of the previous of the installments, give this one a miss. You won’t understand a thing. It makes zero sense. Like some of the slow parts, meant to be dramatic made zero sense to me. Because we didn’t understand them, if we didn’t see the others. There was a lot of dramatic moments that I failed completely to understand what the drama WAS ! And even the charm of Jennifer Lawrence (cute!) failed to keep me from sleeping through some parts of the movie (hope I didn’t snore, but i am confident i missed nothing of consequence but that was because the entire movie was of no consequence ). To its credit, it was better then the one Divergent movie i saw. Which again is another one to be missed entirely , unless one watched it from the beginning.

I went to see Mockingjay Part 2 on Saturday and I walked out of the theater, satisfied.

If I had to compare, out of the book movies, Mockingjay Part 2 was much different than the other final installments of book movies.

In the other book movies, you got a lot of build up and then a final battle.

However, in Mockingjay, it’s the opposite. Lurking around, suspense, person 1 dies, person 2 dies. Lurking around, suspense, person 3 dies, person 4 dies. I like it. Definitely much different than the normal, wait for 1.5 hours then epic battle sequence for the last half hour.

I imagined the final scene with citizens getting blown to pieces by care packages a lot more hectic than portrayed in the movie. I remember, in the book, there was a huge stand off between Peacekeepers and rebels and med teams were deployed to cater to the wounded Rebels. I remember in the book that Katniss saw Prim in the distance and saw her get blown to pieces, not 2 feet in front of her like in the movie.

It’s been awhile since I read the book, so I can’t really say how close an adaptation it was, but I do remember some of the big moments in the book and they all happened in the movie. I was very glad that none of them were changed.

All in all, I think it’s worth a watch. I mean, if you’ve seen all the other ones, don’t you want to know it all ends?