What Movies Are You Watching? (2015)

Having a much younger wife does tend to “force” me to see movies I might (for sure) not be seeing. She had me seeing STRANGE MAGIC. And it was alright. But i wonder how smart it was to use music that is so OLD, instead of tracks from the current generation. LIke from Rhianna, Taylor Swift and the like.

She saw Morticai, which I could normally see (age wise) but it seems a rather non funny , funny movie.
What’s your take if you saw it?

She wants to see SPONGEBOB, But I ain’t seeing that one. I think it is just too kiddy a movie, most likely.

American Sniper - good performances - stupid movie though unless it is taken as commentary on what is wrong with patriotism but I doubt that was its intent.

I love that IMAX. Got a Jason’s in the basement.

Jupiter Ascending. Just saw it 3D HD. Have to pay attention to the movie. A lot of action. Plot hard to follow. Ultimately not a bad movie.

But to me , a simple yardstick to a “good” movie would be if I wanted to see it again.

This one? Nah.

I saw Jupiter Ascending on Wed with my gf. We ate chocolate cake, satsumas and gelatinized fruit salad. After I had one of those naan breads from the Indian in the food court. Great place, haven’t tasted cumin like that in Taiwan. Then we went past the truffles place but I didn’t buy cos they had no prices, and I heard the some truffles are fake oh BTW they have flying lizards.

Worth seeing.

Ok, who wants to come with Icon? Adrien Brody!!!

[quote]Taipei, Feb. 4 (CNA) American actors John Cusack and Adrien Brody and Hong Kong action star Jackie Chan will arrive in Taiwan on Feb. 12 for a one-day visit to promote their latest movie “Dragon Blade.”

The actors will attend a press conference and the Taiwan premiere of the film in Taipei that day, Long Shong Entertainment Multimedia Company, the film’s distributor in Taiwan, said Wednesday.

South Korean singer and actor Choi Siwon, a member of the popular band Super Junior, who has a smaller role in the film, is also scheduled to travel to Taiwan with his co-stars.
[/quote]

He looks a little supercilious in a lot of his pics, but I can see why chicks like him.

My favorite flick with Adrien Brody (can’t get that song out of my mind)

[quote=“HenHaoChi”]I saw Jupiter Ascending on Wed with my gf. We ate chocolate cake, satsumas and gelatinized fruit salad. After I had one of those naan breads from the Indian in the food court. Great place, haven’t tasted cumin like that in Taiwan. Then we went past the truffles place but I didn’t buy cos they had no prices, and I heard the some truffles are fake oh BTW they have flying lizards.

Worth seeing.[/quote]

Your movie reviews are starting to sound like mine :slight_smile:

Oh, well, if we have to live with remakes and such, at least we got some interesting already seen that stuff. I am personally looking forward to :

and I feel again the deja vu of the waste of time plus the heresy of messing with a classic like:

could be good, but never could be The One:

Anyone seen THE SEVENTH SON ?? Wife wants to see it. Should I spend my $ to see it?

edit: SAw SEVENTH SON tonite in walnut creek at 10pm. We two were the only ones in the theatre watching this movie. There are many screens so a few stranglers watching other movies. This would never happen in Taiwan. Just two people watching a movie.

Like a private showing. Guess makes it worth the 14 bucks each.

Anyway it was good . Nicely made movie. A lot of good acting.

Alicia Vikander was very alluring ! A witch anyone would love to have.

imdb.com/name/nm2539953/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t4

Nobody actively watching movies at the Big Screen eh?

Just came back from watching Kingsmans:The Secret Service

imdb.com/title/tt2802144/

well made movie. fast action. Sort of a James Bond movie of the 21st century.

The Immigrant (2013) - Marion cotillard, joaquin phoenix, jeremy renner. What an incredible and honest film. I especially respect how it’s so non-gratuitous. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Watching awesome awesomeness of Pacific Rim for like the 11th time. But since when has Hong Kong become the new “has to be destroyed city” a la New York . I mean, I think we can make a game, see who named the most number of recent movies where Hong Kong is in danger/ being destroyed?

We’d get to drink more with NYC! Lol

Saw UNFINISHED BUSINESS (2015) last night. Quite good. Hope you guys get it without it all being chopped up. Lots of nudity and all that.

It supposedly is bombing at the Box Office, but the crowd last night was pretty large at our local movie house.

It is a funny but serious movie, about a lot of real issues.

Caught Grown ups 2 on cable. While most Adam Sandler’s movies of late have been unwatchable -couldn’t get past the premise of That’s my boy, tried to watch 30 minutes into it, was again totally repulsed and quit- these one had me cracking several LOLs. To be honest, I watch mostly for the music, and it had an 80s homage party at the end, so. But it is sweet and in Taiwanese cable quite “clean” -well, sanitized version- so it is OK in my book. Still, the infantile humor is disgusting, when it takes it up a notch, it is cutely amusing.

I was not the only one with mixed feelings about this one:

The other thing I watched and regretted though it was really, really good was a Spanish horror/suspense movie called No-Do. Caught it halfway, but it was rather fortunate, as I do not think I could have handled the suspense. The characters are very well rounded and drawn. Can’t tell who is the “good” guy, who is the “bad” guy, is this for real, what is going on?! until all pieces fall together. Really scary imagery -not fake bloody a la Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Saw, but rather a supernatural eerie breathing down your neck and seeing what you do not dare to see kind of thing. Recommended to be watched during the daytime.

Interestingly, No-Do is the name of the documentaries shot during Franco’s dictatorship. From the title on the issues get creepier and creepier.

Enjoy:

I want to see Red Army.

rottentomatoes.com/m/red_army_2015/

Has any one seen the Kenneth Branagh Cinderella? Stars Cate Blanchet (who virtually steals every scene she’s in) and Helena Bonham Carter.

Warning - This one’s a pretty straight forward adaptation. Not “gritty”. No irony. No surprising plot twists. It’s straight up naiive and a basic, simple fairytale that’s quite faithful to the classic Disney film.

(Full disclosure: I did roll my eyes a couple of times throughout the film. But it’s also visually beautiful and my sister loved it.)

Focus http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2381941/with Will Smith. Not a huge Will Smith fan, but not a hater either. Give it 1 out of 5 stars, only bcuz Margot Robbie is kinda hot, in a PG-13 kinda way but still a poor man’s version of Jaime Pressly. Oh, and Smith looks very buff throughout the movie, but he’s the only one who shows any skin, even though there were scenes where Margot could have flashed some more skin, the director seems to have opted not to?!

However, I haven’t wanted my 105 minutes back this much in a long while. Just a real nothing burger. Smug, the writer/director obviously feels much smarter than the audience, with weak setups, lots of blah-blah-blah exposition that is supposed to make us interested/care about these characters, and lots of “slick” camera work, fast cuts, fast pans, wide angles, close-ups, etc. Like the whole camera crew had too much caffeine, IMHO.

So, no spoilers, but save yourself 100+ minutes and go do something better, like wash the dishes, clean your desk, walk the dog, whatever. You have been warned!

UJ