What movies are you watching (2023)

I added it to my watchlist for the cast, but it took a while to get to it also because of the cast. In the end, I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Not sure if I like the unusual editing choice, but in a way it adds to the discordancy and discomfort that I think viewers are supposed to feel leading up to the titular duel.

Directed by Ridley Scott
On Disney+

1 Like

Searching (2018)
This takes ā€œfound footageā€ to the next level as all the scenes are displayed through whatever the character is seeing on their computer or phone. It was okay. Works more as a one-time novelty. The twist at the end genuinely surprised me, but not sure it holds up very well. Decent movie, but not one Iā€™d watch againā€¦ mostly Asian protagonists which was interesting. 7.5/10

1 Like

Babylon

Epic elaborate mayhem tribute to old Hollywood 7.5/10

Some of Margot Robbie scenes were off the scale great acting.

Long movie worth a watch.

Really good soundtrack if youā€™re into the style.

Pamela A Love Story

6/10

I was not going to watch it but I saw her on some talk show and and seemed like it might be interesting. Her life story from her honest perspective.

1 Like

A stupid, evil BITCH of a child spreads rumours that Shirley Maclaine and Audrey Hepburn are fucking on the side. Tragedy ensues. Iconic af. Love it.

2 Likes

Love your write up!

2 Likes

Hmmm. Saw this on a DVD shop shelf in Taipei a while ago. Had never heard of it. Always interested in MacLaine films (starting with The Apartment). Wyler being director adds further interest. Did a search and found it interesting. Lesbianism in the 60ā€™s, wow! This inspires me to go back to find it again. Thanks!

1 Like

I thought that film was called The Loudest Whisper.

Off to Google I go.

Hmm. Seems to have two titles. It was called The Loudest Whisper here.

Heā€™s one of my faves.

1 Like

.[wrong thread].

Need some funny stupid escapism

The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!
The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! (1988) - IMDb

3 Likes

Pack your bags for this one:

To Leslie

Saw The Whale on Saturday. I get why people are putting Brendan Fraser and Oscar in the same sentence, but I donā€™t think the movie was that good overall. I wish Aronofsky would get off the biblical imagery already. Constantly bringing Christianity into every other conversation seemed like a disservice to the character.

And besides, that movie is DEPRESSING. I never want to see it again.

1 Like

Did you see it in cinema? Iā€™ve been trying to find it on streaming to no avail.

Yeah, it came out last Thursday in Taiwan. Itā€™s not playing in many theaters though.

1 Like

Coming up in a few months

1 Like

Spot Huashan always showing some unexpected movies from around my globe and from taiwan.

http://www.spot-hs.org.tw/movie/nowplaying.html

This movie should be renamed Toxic Masculinity and a Narcissistic Asshole: the Movie. John Wayne was intolerably bad. One of the worst golden age stars by a mile. He couldnā€™t act his ass out of a paper bag. Not even Monty Clift, whom I love, could save this chore of a film.