What movies are you watching in 2020?

Saw ‘Ford v Ferrari.’ A great car-themed bromance without the cheese of a ‘Fast & Furious’ flick. Great film. 9/10

Watched it yesterday, damn found it boring. The beginning is quite hard to follow and the second half is very slow, I thought the main character was too cold and not likeable, disappointed by this movie. Taste and colors are not always the same!

Welp…thoughts and prayers?? :wink:

1 Like

I watched I Am Mother (2019) on Netflix. A decent Sci-Fi movie about Robots and AI.
IMDB 6.7 / 10

It is easy to miss a few key points to understand the plot completely.

The woman from the outside is the first child (APX01) raised by the robot.

1 Like

Mulholland drive

After watching Inland Empire (twice in two days) a few months ago, Mulholland drive does not feel that hard to understand, of course it does not mean get 100% of it. Great movie anyway.

2 Likes

One of my all-time favorites. Like on my all-time top 20 films list for sure. So much to unpack. I’m curious what a TV series based on it would’ve looked like, before Lynch decided just to make it a movie instead.

1 Like

Guy is insanely talented, the way he films some scenes to make it look like a dream is amazing, the theater scene makes you understand it’s not real. Just like with Dostoevsky when I was reading books, it’s hard to watch a normal movie right after watching a Lynch, it feels flat in comparison.

1 Like

Yep.
It’s like he can bring surreal nightmares to cinematic life.

‘Moonstruck’ (1987). Been watching too many recent flicks. Felt like something older tonight. Never seen it before and at first it felt a little dated, but it quickly wins you over. It’s actually really good, and I’m usually not into rom coms, but this one is very… charming in an eccentric way, I guess would be the best description. It’s human with none of that goofy, winking farce that plagues other more recent rom-coms (I’m looking at you ‘Love, Actually’). And Cher gives a surprisingly good performance. 9/10

2 Likes

‘A History of Violence’ (2005). A tense and visceral action-thriller. Actually saw it in the cinema years ago, and saw it was discounted on iTunes, so I decided to check it out again. Pretty great and at 95 minutes or so, it’s a breeze to get through. Viggo Mortensen pulls off some crazy action moves (if that’s indeed him). Ed Harris also gives a great performance. Nothing that re-invents the action genre, but worth a watch. 8/10

PS: There are some surprisingly explicit sex-scenes even for an R-rated film, so be forewarned that you might see more of Viggo’s ass than you ever thought you needed.

1 Like

Watched The Verdict (1982) yesterday. Awesome movie. Paul Newman was nominated for Best Actor that year but didn’t win. He’d win four years later for The Color of Money. If you liked Spotlight (2015) you’ll like The Verdict.

3 Likes

Watched ‘Primal Fear’ (1996). Good courtroom thriller. Great performances from Gere, Norton and Linney. Crackerjack twist at the end. Not anything that profound, but very engaging and watchable, and never felt bored. 8/10

1 Like

Saw this French movie La Belle Epoque, a 2nd time. It’s a funny feel good panty/underwear dropper tear jerker for all ages, single, happily or unhappily married.

1 Like

‘1917’ (2019). Good, but flawed. Great cinematography and technically very well-made (the fake one-take shot that follows the protagonist throughout the entire film is impressive). Some very tense action scenes as well and gorgeous set pieces, such as the burning Belgian town. On the negative side, I found the dialogue a bit cringey and forced in parts. And I question how historically accurate it was, like the multiracial cast of British WWI soldiers and the fact the protagonist almost becomes a super-human escaping one death trap after another. I’d still recommend it though. 8/10

3 Likes

Movies on local TV.

Breakfast at Tiffanies. Right now, an old Audrey Hepburn movie.

LTV Classic seems to have nearly a constant stream of classic movies. Tonight already a couple really good classic Italian movies. I just let it go and check every now and then. If no English, or Chinese is too complicated, but looks good, I go find the movie somewhere else for later.

MOD Channel 624

1 Like

I can’t watch that with my wife due to the crude yellowface landlord character. Boy, that didn’t age well.

2 Likes

Now showing a really amazing old movie. Never heard of it but it’s really good

They were thinking about surviving a nuclear war even in 1959.

Haha yeah. That was a famous actor too. Jack Nicklson maybe?

Obviously haven’t watched “Inland Empire” have’nt seen a more incomprehensible drivel in my life.

Another rare movie