What movies are you watching in 2020?

Charade (1963) - Most joyous film I’ve seen in a while. Hepburn’s charm is off the charts and her chemistry with Grant is palpable. The script is funny and witty, the fashion is stunning, and the twists are fun and surprisingly unpretentious. Everything about it just works. Love.

Kiss of the Spider Woman (1985) - Such a monumental, gripping, haunting, and unusual experience. It’s one of those films that reveals itself to be really about something else altogether as the story unfolds. Hurt and Julia were revolutionary. Esp. Hurt. Definitely one of the most deserved Oscar wins in the category.

10 Rillington Place (1971) - Attenborough and John Hurt were fantastic, but the rest of the film fell flat. I guess Richard Fleischer just isn’t my cup of tea. I didn’t love Compulsion (1959) for very similar reasons.

2 Likes

The Best Offer, 2013, about an art collector, great whodunit, with unexpected developments near end.

Accidentally saw a few minutes, so watched the whole movie. Much better story than expected.

3 Likes

Rewatched 《Silence》 the other night. Watched it in the cinemas in 2017 with some friends and we were all appropriately kinda silent… didn’t know what to make of it. I understood it a lot better this time round. It helped that I had perspective, coincidentally having just read a fascinating book relating to the history of it called In Search Japan’s Hidden Christians. It’s an intense film. Not for everyone, but it’s very well done. I need to go read the book now.
It was actually filmed in Taiwan, mostly in Yangmingshan and Hualien I think; I’m surprised I didn’t recognise it while watching.

5 Likes

‘Big Trouble in Little China’ (1986) 9/10… holy shit… this is just such a fun movie. Almost like a comic book movie before comic book movies were a thing (and more entertaining than the adequate, but by-the-numbers flicks Marvel and DC keep pumping out). If this came out today, they’d surely make a franchise out of it. It’s not deep, but just the most fun I’ve had watching a movie in ages. Kurt Russell seems like he’s having the time of his life too.

4 Likes

Rewatched Snowpiercer again. Really interesting movie.

2 Likes

There’s a DVD with KR and JC commenting while you watch, and it seems KR didn’t really realize it was a comedy. Hard to pick a favourite JC movie but that one is in my top 3

Have you seen They Live?

1 Like

I’ve actually watched very little of Carpenter (actually have only seen ‘Halloween’), but I’ll try and rectify that soon.

1 Like

There is a plan to make a remake or follow-up movie with Dwayne Johnson

https://collider.com/dwayne-johnson-big-trouble-in-little-china-sequel/

1 Like

Eh, I think the magic will be gone. You can’t recreate those very 1980s non-CGI effects and sensibilities. And it’ll probably be too PC in how it deals with Chinese mysticism and other goofy aspects of the original. Plus, I’m guessing no Carpenter.

If it gets good buzz or reviews, I’ll give it a chance though.

3 Likes

That scene was actually shot at Taoyuan Valley near Fulong on the northeast coast.

1 Like

Is Taiwan topographically similar to Japan? I honestly don’t know, but I wouldn’t think it is…

Quite different. Many mountains in Japan are individual lumps of land whereas Taiwan’s mountains are mostly connected in a chain.

Right. Then I’m surprised a perfectionist like Scorsese had Taiwan stand in for Japan, unless the studio gave him no choice.

He chose Taiwan because it was cheaper and apparently he asked Ang Lee.

Yeah, that’s a great one: gloriously ridiculous. The 80s were all over the place for action movies, with highs and lows - Big Trouble was definitely one of the highs. I’ve got fond memories of seeing that with the swim team when it was in the theater - and it was so obviously set up to have a sequel at the end!

I always loved how Kurt Russell’s character isn’t really the hero of the film, spends the whole time thinking he’s the hero, but is still likable! Utterly full of himself and swaggers out at the end, and you just know the people left behind are thinking “Whoah, that white guy is really full of himself, isn’t he?”

I’m mildly confused about Dwayne Johnson continuing the franchise. I enjoy him in a lot of films; now that I think of it, the first of the recent Jumanji movies is one of the best recent heirs to the silly action movie tradition of Big Trouble in Little China. But … Kurt Russell just delightfully blunders through everything, a goofier Indiana Jones. I’m not sure if Johnson quite operates that way.

1 Like

His performance was very generous, but the cast was stellar so it probably made sense to share the light.

I still use the line, “(If something bad happens) Call the President.”

My students have NO idea wth the reference is to, yet I laff laff laff.

2 Likes

I’ve seen Enemy multiple times and Vanilla Sky which I thought was the Kubrick film with TC, but nah, it’s snot.

1 Like

Ah nice, I don’t know of that place. To me it was real reminiscent of Yangmingshan
To me it feels hard to remember Taoyuan has much nature sometimes

That’s ‘Eyes Wide Shut.’

You’re probably getting it mixed up because the Spanish film VS is based on is called ‘Open Your Eyes’ (which is actually superior to VS).

‘Eyes Wide Shut’ is a great film.

1 Like