What movies are you watching in 2020?

Yes, I know. I think I originally saw them both back to back and wasn’t sure which was which. I love Kubrick, but EWS was shit, except for the soundtrack, which I heard on NPR years later. I did enjoy Kubrick taking shots at TC though, as when the big jock says to him, “I’ve taken bigger craps than you.” har

It wasn’t as good as his better films, but I disagree about it being “shit.”

OK. That’s fine with me. Beautiful rich people solve marital woes by fucking other rich and beautiful people. Meh.

I don’t think it approves of said “beautiful rich people” and is instead a savage critique of them, but different strokes for different folks. It would be near the bottom of my list of Kubrick films, but in my opinion his filmography ranges from good to great to masterpiece.

I never said anything about approval. It’s just not my thing. I reserve a similar criticism of Hemmingway and F Scott Fitzgerald. I could give a fuck about what rich people do to battle against the boredom and malaise of extraordinary wealth. It’s my opinion, not my ruling.

He did get knocked for it :0

I don’t believe he lived to hear it.

Anyone caught Taylor Swift latest?

Miss Americana

Haven’ seen a lot of movies these days and the ones I did see were only mildly entertaining

But the Queens Gambit a mini series on Netflix is pretty well made
Makes chess interesting again

Two different Taoyuan. The one without nature is 桃園 where the airport is. This place is 桃源谷 on the northeast coast; it’s rural and full of nature. The prairie is like the one on Yangmingshan but much bigger.

I watched the Greyhound from Apple TV +. Was a decent movie.

Miss Americana was ok and semi-interesting, a semi-documentary on latest period in the life of Taylor Swift.

I heard Wonder Woman was horrible.

Typical DC fail, bad script, weird editing, the kind of movie you’d watch on TV a christmas afternoon while snoozing half the time because you ate too much. Worst was the barely disguised anti-trumpism: the plot is just a blonde TV personality becoming master of the world by promising people stuff and ending up making their life worse, plunging streets into riots in the process. Including a scene where someone builds a wall around his territory, which ends up with bad consequences, and a close shot of wonder woman looking at the camera saying “I hate guns.”

I’m growing increasingly bored of comic book movies in general… Marvel and DC… they’ve just settled into such a generic formula; adequate, but unexceptional. And they’re all so damn predictable, you can anticipate every story beat and “twist” from a mile away. The eye candy is nice, but nothing leaves much of an impression when it’s over. When I think back over the last few years, I can only think of 2 or 3 that really stood out for me (Logan, Black Panther, the first Deadpool (but certainly not the second one)…).

1 Like

I haven’t seen it, but can you imagine a male superhero getting away with this? Yikes…

1 Like

Soul.
(on Disney+)
Great movie. Really enjoyed it.

3 Likes

I can’t wait until capeshit dies

Really weird stuff

Soul is good and obviously similar to a psychedelic drug experience.