What nationality are you?

Of what country or region are you a citizen (if more than one pick the one you identify with most strongly)?

• USA
  • Canada
  • Mexico/Central America
  • South America
  • UK/Ireland
  • Germany/Switzerland/Austria
  • Elsewhere in Europe
  • Scandanavia
  • Korea/Japan
  • China
  • Taiwan
  • SE Asia
  • South Asia
  • Australia/New Zealand
  • South Africa
  • Middle East/Persian Gulf
  • Other – please explain

0 voters

For those foreigners living in Taiwan, I’m curious to find where most people come from, so I’ve set up this poll. Most people I ever meet are either Canadians or South Africans, so now we can poll seguers to find out.

I think you need to add “Taiwan” to the list of options for the poll. Also you should change “America” to USA or similar.

Thanks Wix :smiley:

shit!!! there are that many canadians in TAIWAN! wow i had no idea!

Uh oh, another flaw I think. You poll isn’t limited to people in/on Taiwan. That’s what you wanted, isn’t it. Maybe the question should read:

What’s your nationality (for people already in/on Taiwan)? or something like that

Thanks guys. MK, that’s ok, the header is long enough as it is.

Also, nationality can be different from country of origin --and what does that mean? Place where you were born? Place where you grew up?

I don’t think it’s that difficult to understand :?.

Specs.
Country or Origin: Indonesia
Nationality: Indonesian

ax

Germany and German.

So, if I were born in Mexico, raised in the US and am currently a Taiwanese national, which box would I check?

Poagao, U.S.A would suffice. What is the “country of origin”? The country of manufacture, production, or growth of the article. Manipulate the wording anyway you choose.

Yeah, your original question asking for nationality was simpler.
My nationality, ethnicity, race, country of origin and place of residence all have different answers.

PS According to your question, would Ma Yingjiu’s country of origin be China or the UK?. He was born in Hong Kong, a British colony at the time. And would Lee Denghui’s country of origin be Japan, China or Taiwan? Just wondering… :wink:

I think you might want to add South East Asia to your list. There are a lot of people that read English fluently of Chinese descent that are originally from SE Asia and now live in Taiwan for work, study or other pursuits, or perhaps as people write in this posting area where they are from, you can add that option to the poll. So people, if your country is not on the list, don’t vote, post your country here, then the postmaster will edit the poll and then then you can vote for your country or origin. Hmm…complicated…not sure how to do this…By the way AMOS, this is great idea for a POLL, thanks…

Hope that’s easier to understand. Just added that too Hobart :wink:

American with a standard accent.

Confused?

Other - not that you wouldn’t know :wink:

German - born and raised in Germany

Iris

I’m a citizen of the world, or Village Earth if you’d prefer – that’s OK … its OK … if you’d just turn your head away while you puke into your hanky, please.

Poagao,

Hope this helps:

Nationality: That quality or character which arises from the fact of a person’s belonging to a nation or state. Nationality determines the political status of the individual, especially with reference to allegiance; while domicile determines his civil status. Nationality arises either by birth or by naturalization.

The term “national” is generally broader than the term “citizen”. Some Pacific Islanders are US nationals but are not US citizens.

Citizen: One who is a member of a political community, owing allegiance to AND being entitled to the enjoyment of full civil rights.

I voted British, on the grounds that I belong to that country. ie they gave me a passport and an accent which tend to make people identify me as British

But as for allegiance, or political status, I’d have to go for the ‘citizen of the world’ category if there was such a thing.

Perhaps two polls are needed - one for where you are considered to belong by others, and one for how you think of yourself?