What’s one business that you feel is missing from Taipei?

If you come to Kaohsiung go to Mon Poulet.

For me:
Chinese Chinese food
Canadian Chinese food
Taiwanese Chinese food

In that order. I can understand how people who grew up eating the food here are partial to it, because they grew up eating it. Every once in a while, I get a craving for Canadian Chinese food because that’s something I ate growing up.

Similar, but the closest ones in the last places I lived in Canada were both better than every biandang place I’ve been here. But similar, yes

You can get a whole roll at Showba

If you come down to K-town, try Conway’s

Beer

Glad to see it isn’t just me. Funny how so many threads become a eulogy to decent food. Must be some truth to it!

2 Likes

That’s true for a lot of things.

I love antiques, I love having a bit of history in my house. Like in England, I have a deactivated revolver from the Old West, and I love the thought that once a cowboy may have been walking around places like Tombstone and Dodge with the gun–did he ever get in a shootout with it? What stories was the gun a part of.

1 Like

Food

I would love a good cajun restaurant, or a southern (non-chicken restaurant) in Taipei. Taiwan is also missing a good Scottish restaurant. I want some haggis, neeps and tatties.

Oh, and a big waterpark. Formosa Fun Coast was shut after that horrible fire, and I remember that being pretty good. I don’t think there is an equivalent, I think there is one near Leofoo Village?

But none within a quick MRT/Bus/Taxi ride from Taipei itself.

You should open one. Sure to be real money-spinner.

6 Likes

Yes the absence of a Scottish themed restaurant in Taiwan remains one of life’s unfathomable mysteries. :rofl:

Guy

7 Likes

One guy opened a Scottish fish and chip shop. Didn’t last long.

1 Like

Walkers shortbread, as a Scottish counterexample, seems to do quite well here. A couple of the sticks with a nice coffee is a fine afternoon treat.

Guy

Given the Taiwanese love of fried chicken, surprised they don’t love the Scottish deep-fried Mars Bar

2 Likes

Stop giving Pizza Hut in Taiwan new ideas!

Guy

4 Likes

Ever seen those fried shrimp and dumpling pizza?

1 Like

lol, it would be a bit of a niche market, admittedly. I have a fondness for haggis, would love a good Scottish restaurant to open. Or, somewhere like Brass Monkey to add it.

In all honesty I love antiques, same reason as yourself, the history, made from natural aged wood hand crafted.
Though I think laser guided machines would do a better job.
Roof timbers and furniture was made from old ship timbers. Up cycled in 1800’s.

Guns :grinning: I had 1942 Luger and de commissioned hand grenade, I sold.

They’re lovely, but I’m not sure I want to pay too much for them. At those prices it’s cheaper to have new ones built of real wood.

Taiwan likes a little sugar in everything. Not all the sugar in a few things. thus all fried food has sugar in the powders. not deep fried sugar bars. jeesh!

And yet, here we are discussing them, essentially marketing them for free. genius move as they still sell their normal slop and the weird stuff gets likes and views. it has become a more commontrend in the marketing click bait type society we live in now. kinda sad, but for sure effective.

Proper donor kebabs.

5 Likes

Nola Kitchen 紐澳良小廚 Restaurant & Bar 台北林森店
02 3393 7662

1 Like

A time-honoured request, with many more details in this thread here:

Guy

1 Like

@Cmkzmb After 179 posts, you probably have a good shortlist. Which business are you going to introduce to Taiwan first?

3 Likes