What’s up with the new AIT?

US isn’t really into outreach spreading culture so much anymore. It’s mostly for students to come check on USA schools, etc.

Located here TWTC International Trade Building 臺北世界貿易中心國際貿易大樓. Google Maps

Ours had a library, language courses, concert hall. It was the place you went to take the GRE and such. The US IS publications too.

That is why when I was teaching and looking for the same resources I was shocked not to be able to find them.

But yours was in the Americas and not half the world away. And I, too, don’t think the US government is in the business of exporting our culture, such as it is. Not these days.

We got movies for that.

Yet, it was a good source for teaching materials, courses, conferences…

And yes, it was bombed on occasion.

I met someone working at AIT and he told me everything will be centralized in Neihu, all departments that are spread out in Taipei.

AIT has a real nice library. I used to hang out there. Lots of American literature and poetry (natch).

I hope the new one has nice facilities such as a library. Walking distance for me.

Everything will be there.

I’d like to see Tsai invite Trump for the opening. Could happen with him.

Maybe not. He’s skipping the annual Asia trip this November, although he is headed to Paris for the 100th anniversary of the Versailles Treaty World War I armistice.

Probably the Mickey D Big Macs are substandard.

The thing is that the one back in the old country was open to everybody, not just US citizens. Yes, you had to go through security but I wonder how many loops would I need to pass to get to them books here.

In another unrelated matter, I am looking forward to be among the ones testing their new facilities to request the Friggin visa. I so do not want to, but given the airline monopoly, it is hard not to set foot on the country of stars and bars.

In the old days so to speak, US Embassies used to open the doors every Friday night called Marine Night, and basically anyone could come in and drink and have fun.

The US Embassy in Singapore was doing it a few years ago by the pool and they would have DJs and bars and games.

It used to be you just had to present your passport, any passport. Not sure what security is like now.

Really?
Even after 911?

Yeah they shut it down immediately and then slowly open it up again but with very tight entrance control like being on the list. Before 911 there would be lines outside on Friday night for anyone to enter.

Still no activity at the new AIT, as far as I can tell. The driveway is still blocked by cones. When is it supposed to be open?

The intelligence station is probably already up and running.

:male_detective::female_detective::male_detective:

Finishing up the special forces barracks…

They’re studying maps of Wanhua even as we speak.

1 Like