What smartphone would you recommend?

Or, you could just wait for the E72 and E75, but I guess those are next years upgrades :smiley:

symbian-freak.com/news/008/0 ā€¦ o_demo.htm

The E75 looks sweetā€¦

I stand corrected. The HTC Touch Pro was released today. The girlfriend and I picked up 2 at the Nova in Taichung.

26,900 - comes with an 8gb MicroSD card, 2 year warranty, extra battery and battery charger.

[quote=ā€œMPenguinā€]I stand corrected. The HTC Touch Pro was released today. The girlfriend and I picked up 2 at the Nova in Taichung.[/quote]Nice! A brace of Touch Pros! Did the shop give you any freebies with those (I mean apart from the regular ones you mentioned)? Iā€™m not very good at bargaining, but I do usually manage to get them to throw in some extra goodies when Iā€™m buying something big.

Those were the standard freebies. They did give us a discount since we were buying two.

A few weeks ago in Taichung I was asking about buying the Touch Diamond - they charged extra for the extra battery and charger and only had a 1 year warranty. Iā€™m guessing they get their stuff from Hong Kong.

The guy in Taichung was great - they reflash the OS, so you can set it up yourself (choose English or Chinese), gave the stuff, and he spoke English as well.

[quote=ā€œTheLostSwedeā€]Just saw this if anyone dares buying a Moto with Linux on it :smiley:
At least itā€™s cheap, but Iā€™m not sure if it qualifies as a smartphone as it doesnā€™t have 3G or WiFi from what I can seeā€¦[/quote]

Iā€™m actually considering a related phone, the Moto A1600, but it does not seem to be sold in Taiwan. I currently have a Treo 650 which is a) a bit old and b) does not work as a phone in Taiwan. I donā€™t want a Windows phone. Iā€™ve seen a friendā€™s A1200 and looking at the A1600 it looks like a phone Iā€™d like. Anyone has an opinion on the A1600?

[quote=ā€œTheLostSwedeā€]Or, you could just wait for the E72 and E75, but I guess those are next years upgrades :smiley:

symbian-freak.com/news/008/0 ā€¦ o_demo.htm

The E75 looks sweetā€¦[/quote]

Totally agree! The E75 is exactly what I want. From what I read on the comments of the Engadget post about the leaked E72/75, people speak highly of the entire E series. Just a couple of bad comments about the reception but that doesnā€™t hold much value for me as it depends on network/environmental factors.

I tested the E71 the other day and the only thing Iā€™d say is a drawback is the small qwerty layout. Itā€™s a bit tiny but was still usable.

But the E75 as a slider looks so usable as well as slim. No idea when itā€™s coming out though and curious to know about the price too.

[quote=ā€œMPenguinā€]I stand corrected. The HTC Touch Pro was released today. The girlfriend and I picked up 2 at the Nova in Taichung.

26,900 - comes with an 8gb MicroSD card, 2 year warranty, extra battery and battery charger.[/quote]

For those in Taipei looking for the best price for a touch Pro:
Tonghua street hasd 2 mini-shops (always over-crowded) and I was offered the Touch Pro with same pack as above for 24.500 NTD.

Most shops are indeed selling the Pro between 26 and 27K
i have a Diamond and will wait for the HD. the keyboard of the pro is too small and my TytnII is now running the same software anyway :laughing: (TF2D with 3D drivers enabled)

Uhmā€¦
You might want to consider this before getting the Touch HD

Itā€™s not what Iā€™d call smallā€¦

[quote=ā€œTheLostSwedeā€]Uhmā€¦
Itā€™s not what Iā€™d call smallā€¦[/quote]

agree- though still smaller than appleā€™s. will look into it if it supports video out as the Pro. i changemy pda each 3-6 months anywayā€¦

HTC Touch Pro just came out. A friend has one and its mighty nice.
HTC Dream G1 is supposed to be on shelf in USA on Oct. 17. This is the first Google Android phone.

Not exactly a smartphone, but Iā€™m pretty happy with my Sony k810i, about NT$7500 sans plan.
Has a great camera for a change, can talk hifi stereo to headphones via A2DP (iPhone doesnā€™t have that),
and I jacked in a 4GB M2 card. Its a year old, but its one of the more popular phones in Taiwan.

[quote=ā€œTheLostSwedeā€]Uhmā€¦

I agree, the the Touch HD isnā€™t small, but this angle is far more damning in my eyesā€¦ the Touch Pro is an absolute pig of a phone, well into ā€œbrickā€ territory even by the most forgiving standardsā€¦ for me thatā€™s a deal breakerā€¦

the Touch HD (bottom) might be slightly smaller than the iphone corner to corner but itā€™s significantly thickerā€¦

Iā€™ve been waiting for years to upgrade to a smart phone and I had hoped HTC might provide a solution I could live with but all their efforts Iā€™ve seen to date look downright clunky, obese and poorly executed compared to an iphoneā€¦ problem is I donā€™t like the ā€œapple fascismā€ that surrounds the iphone, everything locked down, apps censored, etcā€¦

looks like my 5 year old Sony-Ericcsson may have to hold out a while longerā€¦

[quote=ā€œplasmatronā€][quote=ā€œTheLostSwedeā€]Uhmā€¦

I agree, the HD isnā€™t small, but this angle is far more damning in my eyesā€¦ the Touch Pro is an absolute pig of a phone, well into ā€œbrickā€ territory even by the most forgiving standardsā€¦ for me thatā€™s a deal breakerā€¦

[/quote]

For those who need to know what is what:
Top: Touch pro (with keyboard) and it DOES like the worst design ever made by HTC (looks like youā€™re heaving a tiny you know what in your pants)
Sandwiched: Touch Diamond
Crashed by the two above : HD -

There was another picture comparison on Engadget where the Aple was put aside.
We hear so many times 'Apple killer" though HTC could HAVE had a device like that if they would put the best ofs from their last 7 devices together.

ohā€” I forgot - Their Taiwanese. Do first, and think afterwards.
You know what I wrote HTC boys (where you get your milk :raspberry: ) - [code][u] [i]I still buy your devices but you still suck big time. [/i] [/u][/code]

Well, as soon as you stick a keyboard in a device, it gets thicker, at least with todayā€™s technology. Thereā€™s the Xperia X1 coming, but I donā€™t have any high hopes for it and the phone I wanted from SE was cancelled before it got past the prototype stage :frowning:
I liked my old P910i it was well built if a bit chunky, but hopefully theyā€™ll have something new like that in a reasonable time frame. Windows Mobile works, but itā€™s a bit buggy and not that elegant a solution and I have a friend who got an HTC Touch and so did his wife and theyā€™ve had no end of grief, theyā€™ve had to take them back 4 or 5 times eachā€¦

One that is smarter than you ā€¦ :smiley: :whistle:

Thatā€™s why I think the E75 that you posted is going to be quite nice. Full keyboard and a slim designā€¦itā€™s about time.

I was also intrigued by the Xperia as well, but it also looks kind of thick from the videos that Iā€™ve seen.

So for me itā€™s either pull the trigger now on the E71 or hold out (1 year, 9 months?) for the E75.

Or pull the trigger now and upgrade in a year again :smiley:

[quote=ā€œrocky raccoonā€]Thatā€™s why I think the E75 that you posted is going to be quite nice. Full keyboard and a slim designā€¦itā€™s about time.
.[/quote]

THIS E75? :roflmao:
With all respect to Nokia being proud ex-owner of 8 of their devices - they missed the boat. Simply too late.
Though the latest E90 Communicator scores pretty OK in most specialized magā€™s, this E75 looks like a prehistoric device like my first Samsung E70 or soā€¦

Look even at the N96ā€¦ supposed to be ā€œsmartā€ though only equiped with a 320 x 480 QVGAā€¦ not soo smart
:no-no: I think that Nokia is heading the same way as Motorola (in Asia at least) ā€¦ being forgotten despite its reliable quality.

Touch Pro is thickā€¦ after all, it has a full keyboard, 2 cameras, expandable MicroSD card. Itā€™s loaded.

But itā€™s not TOO thick, at least not for me. It fights quite nicely in my hand and since I generally carry around quite a bit of stuff anyway, I donā€™t really mind having it in my front pocket.

Best advice: go to an HTC store and play with it. See if itā€™s comfortable, even put it in your pocket to see if itā€™s comfy. I found it to be perfect for me.

The 3G iPhone is now on sale unlocked in HK, although, itā€™s not cheap
engadget.com/2008/09/26/appl ā€¦ hong-kong/

[quote=ā€œTheLostSwedeā€]The 3G iPhone is now on sale unlocked in HK, although, itā€™s not cheap
engadget.com/2008/09/26/appl ā€¦ hong-kong/[/quote]

Seems that there are some offers at around 20.000 NTD on yahoo.bid I was told by a colleague.

PS - i checked the Samsung Omnia at noon time (16gig 25.000 NTD) :raspberry: :raspberry:
When you hold it in your hand blindfolded- you know it is Samsung