What smartphone would you recommend?

I dunnit.

I bought the E71 on Saturday. Haven’t played with it a great deal yet, but I’m liking it so far. It’s just the right size, fairly intuitive to use, and most importantly… it’s really shiny!

I have logistical issues (ARC expiring, APRC in process and going to take some time) which prevent me getting a data plan at the moment, but I got online at Carnegie’s yesterday using their wireless without any problems.

I had a play with the GPS, which I don’t anticipate using much. Or rather, I played with the map of Taipei. GPS only works outdoors and it’s hardly the right weather for that. First, there doesn’t seem to be any way to tell it I’m in Taipei, so I have to search for the city first. It doesn’t seem to have figured out where it is while driving around, or if it has, it lost it’s memory. Anyway, the map seems reasonably complete. I can envisage finding my way around OK, in the unlikely event I should ever need to, but as with every map service I’ve ever seen, the romanization is messy. It has Zhongxiao E Rd, Keelung Rd, and “Jungjeng” district, whatever that might be.

The calendar seems “OK,” but is definitely a step down from my Palm. There are four types of entry, but no categories and no obvious way to create categories. On my Palm I have different colour-codes for classes, personal stuff, other business, activities, etc. I liked that feature.

My first gripe concerns the headset and hands-free use. I called a friend last night, put the headset on, and was looking forward to a good chat while doing the housework with the phone in my pocket. I was wearing my “ridiculous trousers”, the ones with loads of pockets, but I couldn’t find anywhere to put the phone where normal activities didn’t press buttons. I was cut off three times during a 30-min phone call. The phone was in one of those little pouches they give you, but it obviously doesn’t offer much protection. Also, the headphone jack is on the side of the phone and a bit vulnerable.

I thought Nokia only bundled Google maps with the E71 and that doesn’t support turn by turn navigation. Garmin Mobile 10 might be a better option, although it seems like it’s limited to Taipei or bigger cities here.

I’d suggest you get a bluetoot headset and then turn on the keypad lock while keeping the phone in your pocket, that way you won’t have problems with calls being cut out by mistake.

My error. It comes with two different systems, or at least I’ve found two so far.

If you go to Menu>>GPS you get 3 icons, one of which is maps. This has a fairly good map of Taipei and is the one I was referring to.

If you go to Menu>>Installations you get a bunch of software, including PaPaGo - which is in Chinese. I haven’t used it yet, but there is an option to change voice settings to English. I assume that this means you can enter an address in Chinese and have it tell you how to get there in English. Presumably you could cut and paste an address from an SMS, but really I doubt that I’ll ever use this while riding on 2 wheels.

If anyone wants a smartphone for cheap I’m selling mine, ad’s at TaiWanted. 12k for a tricked-out HTC TyTNII. I got an iPhone. :smiling_imp:

Well, the E75 is going to be out soon… Finally :smiley:
expansys.com/d.aspx?i=178662
A tad expensive in the UK though, just hoping it will turn up here.

Haysus kristo. I am so behind the times. Im using a motorola clamshell on a pay as you go that was free (with initial one year plan a few years ago with tmobile) . DOesnt take pics, get online or any of that jazz. Just a fone. Takes a lot of punishment as I drop it a lot.

I dont want a fancy fone, but I did play with one of those apple ipod that gets online and lets you do email at a hotspot for 200 bucks. good deal?

HI rocky, for smart phone like your spec, I think blackberry bold will quite fit your requirement very well
1.) it has a qwerty keyboard
2.) internet access
3.) Blackberry bold is built to have email in mind
4.) user friendly

I have tried it myself in the past during work and I like it since it is very easy to use which is better than the old brand like palm

there’s a slew of smartphones out…

check out the new Nokia E75. It may have the features you want (minus touchscreen)

expansys.com/d.aspx?i=178662

Ah! I wish my bb curve worked in Taiwan (although I’d love to have a storm).

I eventually settled on the Nokia E66. Pretty decent I’d say; it looks pretty good and is pretty thin. Connectivity options include infrared, blue tooth, USB, and WLAN. You can use it for presentations, check e-mail, and the office suite isn’t half bad. Oh! It’s also got GPS! I can only imagine they’ve made improvements with any upcoming models. Really, the only other things I might ask for is the qwety keyboard and maybe a touch screen (damn it, i’ve played around with one and now get what the hype is about; but I’m not dying to have one).

What are the requirements for a foreigner wishing to get an account with a company like Chunghwa Telecom or Taiwan Mobile? i.e., how much time do I need to have remaining on my ARC? Do I need to show both my ARC and my passport to get an account? After having seen my co-worker’s E71, I’d like to buy one myself and then shop around for a 3G plan that allows me to use the phone in and out of the country, but it would be nice to first know my eligibility and what I’d need to produce before doing any of that so that when the time comes, I’m good to go…

That’s actually a good question… I’ve been wondering the same thing… anybody?

ARC card and a local pax playing the guarantee in case you fled the Island.

As for new Smartphones, I bought the Google Phone from HTC. Pretty good and all software for free with Android Open Source.
UI might be needing a cleaner look

I bought my wife an HTC Dual for Valentine’s Day. Lovely little phone.

I ended up picking up a Motorola Q9h through one if their ambassador discount programs. It was only like 5250nt so that’s not bad for a smartphone I think. It’s got 3.5G but I don’t think I’m even going to sign up for 3G service because I’m in front of a computer screen like 18 hours a day anyway.

I like the Qwerty keyboard a lot but takes a bit to get used to. I’m still faster at texting w/ my old Sony Ericsson using predictive text. Also the Q9h that I got doesn’t have WiFi so that’s a bit of a let down. Just getting used to the Windows Mobile interface. I do like the one-touch access to the calender function for adding in dates so far.

oops … :unamused: double flop …

I just bought the Toshiba G810 last week Monday … only Chinese, so I’m screwed as you can not just change the language … am thinkin’ of dumping the little bastard and buy another one soon … or, should I just call Toshiba Taiwan ans ask if they can put/flash rom in English WM 6.1? Anyone has suggestions?

I bought it with a 2 year contract from CHT … my wife was the ‘guarantor’ … :smiley: if I hadn’t had one it would have cost me an additional 3,000 NT$ or so as down payment … because I’m a foreigner

I paid 7,990 NT$ on a 183NT$/150NT$ 3G two year contract

Go find a good phone shop here, they’ll flash it for you. Toshiba won’t do shit, at Microsoft has stupid licenses with regards to this crap. It’s a universal problem with Windows Mobile devices.
Well, actually, never mind. Turns out Toshiba has a nice bunch of Firmwares on its site (please note that Forumosa screws with the link, the A in Asian should be lower case and it works).
Pick the HK or Malaysia one, not quite sure what the difference is, there’s also a PDF with instructions.
Just be aware that this will wipe all your settings and you won’t have Chinese support anymore.
However, if you download this file and follow the instructions you can still read and write Chinese on it, although it’s not as good as the default Chinese support.
Hope this helps.

Thanks, have been looking for this … but didn’t find … maybe I was at the wrongs support site … when it works I’ll be in your debt … :bow: :doh:

I wonder if it will work as it first will check on the old version and gives the clear or not …

I successfully got a contract with CHT a few weeks ago with no guarantor and no deposit (it’s $2900) I told them that it was nonsensical, immoral and discriminatory, and I argued through various levels of management for an hour an a half before they relented. I’m just posting to say that it CAN be done, you just have to be persuasive. :sunglasses: