What to do if spouse is missing for years?

It could be because your wife found out about the proceedings and somehow is trying to interfere, perhaps she commenced some parallel legal proceedings and you need to chop those documents

This will probably get very expensive for you

1 Like

I would be expected to give them my chop? Is that wise?

I’m sorry but… This doesn’t seem likely.

1 Like

Just arriving in Taipei.

that is what I guessed too, and it seems to be very common practise here. My employer has my chop.

Anyway, you can and should ask them anything you are not sure.

Previous lawyers you contacted were just at the consultant stage, right? They might ask you the same thing if they decided to handle your case till the end.

1 Like

You’re afraid your pro bono lawyer is planning to steal from you?!

1 Like

Not really thinking anything. Just asking if that’s normal.

Not normal, do not give your chop.

If they got your chop they can, for example, withdraw funds from your bank account.

I’m always amazed how I can make a withdrawal from my wife’s company bank account with just the chop even though my name is nowhere on file

Do you happen to be the wife’s in law?

So, as said, the bank does not have my name on file.

And besides, this is not from my wife’s bank account but from a third parties bank account of which my wife is director/owner.

And, it should be the chop used to open the account, I guess.

So I shouldn’t give it to them? Just found a guy to make it and waiting for him to finish.

My guess is morran is just chuckling .

1 Like

Hope not. That would be a pretty insensitive thing to do.

They cannot withdraw your money from your bank account by the chop you are making now.

3 Likes

I mentioned this before as well.

First part of the mission done. Got the chop.

Managed to get an early meeting and waiting in the office now. Super nervous as usual.

Lawyers and escrow officers in Taiwan often ask for a disposable chop (not the same one used for banking and other serious business) so they can stamp forms and documents on the client’s behalf before submitting them to the court without the client’s presence. It’s totally normal. That’s why chop makers are everywhere. Once they are done with your chop, they will give it back to you.

4 Likes

They can’t do anything like banking with the chop you’re giving them because as has already been said, it’s not the chop you opened your bank account with.

There’s no legal necessity for you to have a chop. Despite what some may think, Taiwanese law views a signature as being just as valid as a chopped seal so the only reason for your lawyers to have your chop is so that they can sign documents on your behalf without faffing about sending mail back and forth or having you make trips all over the place.

3 Likes

Finished the meeting and gave her the chop. Really hoping we can solve this in the mediation session otherwise this could go on for a year.