What to do when I get there

Hi, I am Omar nice to meet you all. I am Italian and I will probably get to Taichung in May with my wife, she is Taiwanese and we have a little one. We met in Australia, I tried to get my permanent residency but it look like it is getting worse for us so we are considering moving there. I am a butcher, started when I was 14 back in Italy and now I am 32, never stopped. I am a good cook as well so I was thinking maybe I should open up a business but I do not really know what to expect there. I visited Taiwan in 2019 and I didn’t mind it at all, actually I was surprised in a pleasant way to be honest, I like Taiwan but I am not sure what to do when I get there. Any advices? I might start to learn Chinese obviously but I need a job, I can’t stop working :joy:
Thanks everyone in advance. :heart:

1 Like

Open up your own butcher shop? Getting good prosciutto and salami for a good price in Taiwan is impossible!

6 Likes

48 month Iberico is still a bargain.

I know how to make prosciutto, I have successfully made here in Australia but you need a lot of equipment and cellars to be able to cure them properly. Salami and cacciatori would be my best shot really, I am a professional smallgoods maker.

2 Likes

Spanish prosciutto? …

Very similar.

Like day and night

1 Like

1 Like

I’ve never seen a proper butcher’s shop in TW. I think most people buy their meat either at supermarket or at outdoor markets. Some high end supermarkets have a butcher’s counter. Doesn’t mean there isn’t a market for a butcher’s shop though. I feel like the concept would work in high end residential areas (think Tianmu or anywhere with a large foreigner/ABC population). Come to think of it I would imagine Tianmu probably does have a butcher. I think you’d want to appeal to wealthier people who actually care about the quality and origin. You’d want to be very clear on your supply chain. Opening a small shop somewhere like Tianmu would easily cost $1 mill NT+ in just startup fees though.

Another option for you would be to just open a stand at an outdoor market, targeting regular people. You would need good Chinese though and you’d be competing with locals (you’d easily beat them).

2 Likes

do this please but also can he do that without APRC and whatnot?

If he has ARC due to marriage to Taiwanese with HHR, yes.

2 Likes

Discount Prosciutto from Spain.

Not even close.

1 Like

He’s married to a Taiwanese person. Open work permit.

3 Likes

huh didn’t know it was that easy, thought the marriage arc was a bit more of a pain

Well I still need to get there and see, I will get some free time that I really never had In my life​:joy::joy::joy: I will try to look around for opportunities but I like your ideas guys, maybe not a butcher but how about a little smallgoods factory? Like my wife if telling me that there is a website there where people sell their own stuff, shopee, which I wouldn’t mind to start from there but I might have enough funds to open up a little shop

1 Like

Sausage is a big business here. The market is flooded with Chinese and taiwanese sausages but I think there’s a big potential market for foreign sausages. There’s one brand charging A premium for British sausage ls and I’ve seen it expanding recently so there’s clearly a market for it

6 Likes

I vaguely recall eating in an Italian in Taipei which also had a kind of charcuterie. It also had a wine cellar.

Big initial outlay and high risk starting a restaurant, though.

Can confirm. :wink:

5 Likes

Doesn’t have to be a restaurant. I just want salami to bring back to the house and not break the bank. No i don’t want chorizo.

3 Likes

Welcome!

Who will be the breadwinner in your house in Taiwan?
Curious what brought you 3 back?
Have your wife find a language institute in Taichung for 2 hours a day. Then try to do something part-time.
If you get spousal Alien Resident Certificate (ARC), you can work anywhere anybody wants to hire you, even 7-Eleven.
Have fun, your learning curve will be big.